Sponsored by:

Can't drive a dirty 911

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2016, 01:23 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I keep it clean
Wash and wax in spring when I bring it out of winter storage. Not my DD and dont drive in rain so it stays fairly clean.
Before every drive, dust off using California Car Duster
Clean the windows and rims.
It stays clean and shiny.
Will hand wash maybe once every couple of months.
Old 06-15-2016, 11:53 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
It is more likely to rain, the more cars I've cleaned. Currently have two dirty cars. Expect clear sky's for the next few days.

I've found this phenomena to be the case, almost without fail. If I wash one of the cars... it's likely to rain the same day. If I wash both the cars at once then it's likely to rain right around the time I've finished drying the second one. Even though I've checked the radar and it was supposed to be clear the next few days. Last time I thought I was going to be smart and check multiple forecasts first.

It didn't work out in my favor regardless.
Old 06-15-2016, 12:01 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

I laughed about this thread last week as I drove the car on Wednesday to work and it wasn't very dirty but needed to be washed. I waited to wash it until Thursday night so I could drive it to work again on Thursday. I had a Cars & Coffee on Saturday that I wanted to be clean for and had it been spotless on Thursday, I probably would not have driven it.

Verdict.....we all have varied levels of CRAZY!
Old 06-16-2016, 01:00 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah well, everybody seem to be different. I like all my cars in clean and shiny condition, hand- washed at least once a week; The 997 is not my daily driver so that helps. For me the taking care of the cars, makes as much fun as only driving. If you wash every week, the car does not get that dirty and it result in a quick job. Every 6 months I detail the car, my 997 4S has 85000 km and is almost 9 years but in a new condition. My experience, exemptions aside, is that a lot of "dirty" car drivers have not a hard feeling of delaying, or just not doing anything for maintenance either. When it is time to sell the car they come crying to me why they get such a low price as offer, or why nobody is willing to take their stinking car.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:20 PM
Steben
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philster
I have a Kimi Raikkonen attitude about the whole thing. If my car gets very dirty, I will probably wash it. If anyone came up to me to talk about a rag, a soap, a wheel cleaner, a wax, I'd tell them to leave me alone; I know what I am doing.

I wish elves would show up to clean it, but there is something charming about a Porsche that is clearly dirty and hot.

Guys with excessively clean cars probably need to be cuddled after sex.

(Except for those whose cars were clean for the avatar photo!)

What's wrong with cuddling after sex? Usually leads to more sex
Old 06-18-2016, 01:25 AM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If I can't see it while I'm driving, I generally don't care, it's other peoples' problem. On the other hand, for some reason I feel compelled to towel it off when I get home after driving through rain.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:45 AM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Brake dust is more an issue and obsession of mine- it is so corrosive to the wheels' finish it gets cleaned off at least once a week.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:48 AM
SnP
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I hand washed my first Porsche every time it got dirty for 4 years. I had a very clean car that I almost never drove.

Fast forward 15 years and four p-cars later...My current Porsche, has three sets of wheels. Summer tires, winter wheels, and track wheels. She's dirty and I've left a lot of marks on her.

Garage queens are like marrying a super model and never f---ing her. Beautiful but useless.
Old 06-18-2016, 06:08 PM
mlv_250
Instructor

I have no problems driving it dirty.
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-2016, 07:13 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

My dad washed every car weekly. All 8 of them. And blue turtle waxed twice/yr. The kind of wax like spraying concrete on car and trying to get it off. By hand. So genetically, I like clean cars. Hate brake dust. I only wash DD every few weeks. In summer when TX quits raining for 4 months don't even wash every few weeks. Too hot to wash, water spots no matter what, it dries coming out of the hose. Purists will cringe, but in between use Griots speed shine, even on the wheels. Clay and wax twice/yr. Maybe with scope can see swirls from speed shine, but not to eye. Last car was jet black and no swirls. Basalt black makes it easier as well to hide minor imperfections.
So pick up car at airport on Thursday, drive home, spend 10 min speed shine and couple min on windows and got to go.
Old 06-19-2016, 08:50 PM
nevadakid
Advanced

I spray clean the car before leaving (for dust) and after parking it back home (for road dirt). Seriously, it takes 5 minutes each time.
That's the least we can do for our cars, and our ego!
Do I need a consultation?

Quick Reply: Can't drive a dirty 911