997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did I take my 911 to Discount Tire?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2016 | 11:05 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

I've used discount twice and I'm ok with the service. Though they have a lot of young and less experienced staff that like to rush around. Last time they overinflated the tires and scratched a rim that they later touched up. As always I checked the torque on the bolts and the wheels were fine. Next time, I plan to give them a list of instructions. The guys enjoy working on the pcar. The low price is worth the hassle for me.

I remember my bmw had a tire replaced at some discount shop a few years back. They torqued the bolts so tight that I had to jump up and down on my breaker bar to loosen the bolts. 240 lbs of pissed off Irish.
Old 06-02-2016 | 11:32 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
hahahaha, lol. That's the funniest response I have gotten all day. I can't wait until I get home so I can torque my bolts, lol.
Keep your head in the sand....that's ok
Old 06-02-2016 | 11:36 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

WTF is wrong with discount tire?
It's called minimum wage and a week of on-the-job training at most.
Old 06-02-2016 | 11:57 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
Keep your head in the sand....that's ok
lol, don't take it personal I am just messing with you. I have no problems with increasing the torque to 118 ft/lbs but first I need to see the documentation to support it. If you can find it that would be great and I would be happy to comply. Thats all, plain and simple, thanks.
Old 06-03-2016 | 12:03 AM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

So I took my 997.1 to Discount Tire to repair a minor air leak to the front passenger tire. Since they were the last shop to work on the car (TPMS install) I thought they should also repair the leak. Anyway, they found a tear in the bead and took full responsibility because it likely occurred while they were replacing the TPMS few weeks prior. Great! I am now getting a free replacement for the front passenger tire but my other tires are only halfway thru their life cycle so I decided to forfeit the install until next time which the manager promised me he would do as long as I returned and spoke to him, also got it in writing. I was too concerned with compromising the handling by introducing a new tire with halfway worn tires. Fine, they put back my old tire and managed to seal off the leak.

Upon mounting the wheel I noticed the technician using the pneumatic impact driver to fasten the wheel to the car (I really do not like it when they do that). Received my car and left the shop, when I hit the highway traveling over 65 mph, the steering wheel started vibrating. Very obvious that the wheel was mounted incorrectly. When I arrived home I decided to remove the wheel and re-mount it myself. Raised the car, carefully hand tightened the lug bolts in a star pattern and lowered the car just enough that the tire kissed the concrete, I finished the job by torquing the bolts to 96 ft/lbs in a star pattern. Fully lowered the car and went for a drive. Problem solved.

WTF is wrong with discount tire?

BTW, I am running Hankook Evo 2s, 235 front and 305 rear.
Sorry to hear that.

I had them install my tires on my 911 and they did a great job. Quick, painless, and cheap. Staff was very friendly, too.
Old 06-03-2016 | 12:50 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

I really like the professionalism of the Discount Tire shop which is relatively close to my place (I'm in Lake Forest, IL...they are in Palatine, IL); and it's also the only in my area with top-tier and latest equipment from Hunter. My suggestion is please talk to the store manager, and/ or to the DT customer service, because the behavior/ performance of just one single employee shouldn't be extrapolated to the entire company.
PS. Glad you arrived home safe, and fixed the problem.
Old 06-03-2016 | 11:40 AM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MemeMagno
I really like the professionalism of the Discount Tire shop which is relatively close to my place (I'm in Lake Forest, IL...they are in Palatine, IL); and it's also the only in my area with top-tier and latest equipment from Hunter. My suggestion is please talk to the store manager, and/ or to the DT customer service, because the behavior/ performance of just one single employee shouldn't be extrapolated to the entire company.
PS. Glad you arrived home safe, and fixed the problem.
Yeah I agree that I am being a bit harsh on Discount Tire and I know they do great work most of the time. I guess I am just frustrated with the few instances where they didn't perform the work properly and I ended up with a torn bead and improperly mounted wheel. For sure I will return to the shop and redeem my free tire and also get a whole new set from them since their prices are pretty good.
Old 06-03-2016 | 03:52 PM
KeepItTidy
Advanced

I have a copy of the latest 997 Workshop Manual and everything I do is in accordance with (IAW) the approved maintenance manual so unless it's published on an approved document, I don't do it.

Just a habit from my days as a certified aircraft mechanic.

How did you get so lucky as to get your hands on one of those
Old 06-03-2016 | 04:11 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KeepItTidy
How did you get so lucky as to get your hands on one of those
Well that is sort of a secret but I was able to get a digital copy and I had to pay for it.
Old 06-03-2016 | 07:54 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
It's in the manual of any 997.2 and all over this site with a search.

Old 06-04-2016 | 11:41 PM
Ptech1
Racer

As I was saying...
[

QUOTE=Smitten;13344616] [/QUOTE]
Old 06-05-2016 | 01:22 AM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

... I have no problems with increasing the torque to 118 ft/lbs but first I need to see the documentation to support it. If you can find it that would be great and I would be happy to comply. Thats all, plain and simple, thanks.
This may be what you are looking for ... here is the official torque guides from Porsche as of Feb 2015 for front axle. See pages 5 & 6 for details on 997-2 torques for wheel to wheel hub, front & rear.
Attached Images
Old 06-05-2016 | 03:38 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smitten
Name:  photo818.jpg
Views: 965
Size:  327.4 KB
Old 06-06-2016 | 01:57 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

When you find a good tire shop, just go there all the time for everything. I will never take my actual car in--I take in just the rims and the new tires. I don't need some kit getting $15 an hour screwing up around my PCCBs.
Old 06-06-2016 | 01:51 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

I had been going to DT for over a decade. I knew the manager, Paul, pretty well since he had kept me in tires for 8-10 vehicles over that time span. He knew me and always was a pleasure to work with. He’d answer questions, recommend tires and also get me great quotes. He'd send me over to the local Wild Wings to have lunch on his acct when I was waiting for service. A really nice, genuine guy who cared about his customers. And I was 'his' customer. I’m sure if you look at my order history, I’ve got no less than 20 sets of tires in the past 10 years or so.

So last year I bring my ’09 4Runner in for a new set of tires. This car has nice polished alum wheels with all weights on the inside of the rim. I talk to Paul and he tells me to come back in an hour and I'll be all set.

I come back and I’m pissed right away that his guys hammered lead weights to the outside of all 4 rims. They didn’t bother to match how the wheels came in with the weights on the inside. I called the tech over and asked him to place the weights on the inside, just like the previous tires were installed. ‘Sure, no problem’ he says and pulls my car back into the bay.
30 min later I’m good to go once again. But looking at the car now, I’m furious because every one of my wheels has large scratches and gouges where the weights were hammered on and then pried off. I was close to losing it. I walked inside and asked Paul to take a look. He understood my frustration right away. He immediately offered to refinish the wheels at his cost but I was so pissed I didn’t want to deal with it at that time so he told me to call him later. Plus, it’s a major hassle to drop the car off and leave it being DT is about 20 miles from home. It was a nice gesture on his part but I was still too pissed to discuss options. I knew he felt terrible about all this. I basically told him I have every confidence in the world with him and my tires/wheels, but he’s not the one doing the work, it’s his crew and they just don’t care like he does.

I told him although I appreciated his attention to detail and quality dealing with him specifically, but I won’t be going back to DT for tires/service in the future. (I do have a guy that mounts and balances my PCar tires that is awesome, he just can’t source the tires like DT).

Paul (the DT manager) actually called me a week later and told me he sourced 4 newly refurbed wheels for me to stop by and he’d install them. I was over the whole event by then but never bothered going out of my way to get them installed. I realize this was a super nice gesture and that pretty much brought me back to buying tires from DT late last year.

Unfortunately, Paul has moved on to another store outside of my region. I miss talking cars and tires with him.

Moral of the story: The manager who is the one with his eyes on quality of service isn’t the one installing your tires. We were all in our late teens and early 20s once, nobody at that age working in that place really understands what it takes to deliver consistent, high quality service. Or they just aren’t paid enough to car about it.

Quick Reply: Why did I take my 911 to Discount Tire?