Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fabspeed CAI vs. Stock (MAF measurements)

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 10:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 4,145 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
Does anyone know if any of the universal K&N filters fit the 997.2 fabspeed CAI? Fabspeed is charging $160/pair + SH, which is kind of a bit much.
Just take the dimensions from your current filters with a digital caliper - ID at opening, OD at widest base, OD at top, and length, then shop around on the filter manufacturer sites for on that has the exact ID at the attachment point and is close on the others. Whether you go oiled (K&N) or dry style is your choice. Oiled is riskier to the MAF if you don't properly oil and remove all the excess prior to running the car. On both types, I recommend a hydrophobic cover for the filters .
Old 07-30-2017, 12:29 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Does anyone know if any of the universal K&N filters fit the 997.2 fabspeed CAI? Fabspeed is charging $160/pair + SH, which is kind of a bit much.
It's been my guess that the Fabspeed ones are manufactured by aFe Power (http://afepower.com). Specifically their Pro Dry S line. Maybe you can contact them to see if they have direct fitment available for less dollars.

But looking inline it appears they might not save you a lot looking at others that appear similarly sized, such as some of the ones that show up in this search: http://afepower.com/products/inducti...a_material=174. While these are dry, you could also consider their oiled options.
Old 08-01-2017, 11:44 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Just take the dimensions from your current filters with a digital caliper - ID at opening, OD at widest base, OD at top, and length, then shop around on the filter manufacturer sites for on that has the exact ID at the attachment point and is close on the others.
Yes, but I that would require getting my hands dirty. On that note, I wonder if there's any downside to installing a cone filter that's longer (and therefore has more surface area).

I recommend a hydrophobic cover for the filters .
What's a hydrophobic cover?

Originally Posted by StormRune
It's been my guess that the Fabspeed ones are manufactured by aFe Power (http://afepower.com). Specifically their Pro Dry S line. Maybe you can contact them to see if they have direct fitment available for less dollars.

But looking inline it appears they might not save you a lot looking at others that appear similarly sized, such as some of the ones that show up in this search: http://afepower.com/products/inducti...a_material=174. While these are dry, you could also consider their oiled options.
I think you're right! But yeah, not that much cheaper, darnit.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:24 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,509 Likes on 4,145 Posts

What's a hydrophobic cover?
A pre-filter cover for the air filters with a special treatment or material that repels water to keep the filter media dry, maintaining it's filtering efficacy, but still allows for air to pass through, like this blue one

Last edited by Petza914; 03-13-2019 at 11:22 PM.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:58 PM
griebs
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Caveat emptor

Awesome test and writeup! All these years later and the fog of war between open/ambient remains.

One caveat is that the Stock airbox filters were not new and had some visible dirt accumulation.
Well that's a big caveat! No idea regarding condition or mileage on the originals. Also, the Fabspeed uses high flow filters; it would be interesting to see the same test with equivalent BMC filters (new). The Gen1 3.6 has been dynod with the Fabspeed J version vs. factory w/BMC and the box won pretty conclusively, albeit w/questionable testing conditions:

For further argument's sake, Sharkwerks cautions against anything but the stock (mostly) ambient design, and they could surely have made $$$ on a similar aftermarket replacement. Porsche engineers have only ever used enclosed systems on their modern offerings AFAIK. Lastly, from what I've read, the engine fan kicks on pretty minimally; so, it seems any open filter design might benefit from a smaller secondary active fan.

The fabspeed sure is pretty, though-- sadly the gem of our engine bays is the filtration system. I'm looking to increase the efficiency of my puny 3.6 so placebo or boon, enjoy your extra horsies .2Sers!

Quick Reply: Fabspeed CAI vs. Stock (MAF measurements)