Sponsored by:

Tire choices

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 03:47 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Had the MPSS on prior car, excellent tire. Current 997 has S04's. When I need to replace them I will try to get MPSS or the new Pilot4 if reviews good. However if backordered I would definitely go with the S04's again. No issues from my end.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:29 AM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

@ Jsalah, I think what can help make up your mind on which tire is narrow down what is your priority(performance/price/application). You noted street and trying to save some money so it would seem the S-04's fit the bill. With about 1200 miles on mine now and quite happy with them.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:53 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
MPSS. I have them. Love them. If the MPSS are backordered ( I had to wait a month to get them for my Cali), I have read good things about the Bridgestones.

T
Originally Posted by Kellen
Had the MPSS on prior car, excellent tire. Current 997 has S04's. When I need to replace them I will try to get MPSS or the new Pilot4 if reviews good. However if backordered I would definitely go with the S04's again. No issues from my end.
Originally Posted by AltVelo
@ Jsalah, I think what can help make up your mind on which tire is narrow down what is your priority(performance/price/application). You noted street and trying to save some money so it would seem the S-04's fit the bill. With about 1200 miles on mine now and quite happy with them.
Thanks all -- It does seem like there are more good reviews than bad on the S-04s. I'm not opposed to the MPSS, the price delta between them and the S-04s seems to be only around $200-$300 (total for all 4 corners), could be "worth it"? (I can be pretty ... ahem... "aggressive" in corners and love my 4S for that reason...)

I guess otherwise the question is do I wait for the new tire offerings or go with one of these "tried and true". My guess is the new MPS-4s could be comparable in price to the PS2s currently on the car...

Anyway I might call Damon at the TireRack and chat with him about this...
Old 12-05-2016, 12:17 PM
AltVelo
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

If $300 is a non issue, seems like an issue choice?
Old 12-06-2016, 07:56 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

For such a car that handles so well, I decided to go with the Michelin PS2s. Yes, they are more expensive than the PSSs ( which are also not cheap) but the PS2s are N rated for the 997. Although the PSSs get great reviews, why are they still not N rated for the 997? I can report that the PS2s are great. The cost difference pales when compared with the other costs associated with owning this car.

Last edited by Fahrer; 12-06-2016 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 12-06-2016, 12:26 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
For such a car that handles so well, I decided to go with the Michelin PS2s. Yes, they are more expensive than the PSSs ( which are also not cheap) but the PS2s are N rated for the 997. Although the PSSs get great reviews, why are they still not N rated for the 997? I can report that the PS2s are great. The cost difference pales when compared with the other costs associated with owning this car.
I agree with your overall conclusion. Buy the best tire that will provide the best handling. For another $500, it is not a deal breaker.

My issue is why is the PS2 so much more expensive to produce vs the MPSS? I do not know the tire manufacturing side and what are the cost factors but is the PS2 just 50% more expensive to make or is it simply supply and demand (and Porsche N2 tax).
Old 12-06-2016, 12:35 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I have had a few sets of PS2 and I finally decided to go with PSS. Its a better tire. Better ride, quieter, better grip/traction and better wear. Its a better tire all around, PERIOD. The PS2s cost more because of the old manufacturing techniques. They figured out ways to make a better product for less money. Don't think that just because one is an N rated tire and costs more, it is better.

Think of it like a computer. Is a $1500 computer 10 years ago really "better" than a $1000 computer today of the same exact brand? NOPE, it isn't even close. Michelin has simply used technology to come out with a better product and they admit as much. Don't over think this
Old 12-06-2016, 08:15 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
I have had a few sets of PS2 and I finally decided to go with PSS. Its a better tire. Better ride, quieter, better grip/traction and better wear. Its a better tire all around, PERIOD. The PS2s cost more because of the old manufacturing techniques. They figured out ways to make a better product for less money. Don't think that just because one is an N rated tire and costs more, it is better.

Think of it like a computer. Is a $1500 computer 10 years ago really "better" than a $1000 computer today of the same exact brand? NOPE, it isn't even close. Michelin has simply used technology to come out with a better product and they admit as much. Don't over think this
Hmmm. You seem to be 100% certain. Not necessarily correct. The mold process making Michelin tires is fairly consistent between the two types of tires; not the same as your $1500 10 year old computer analogy. There are some on this forum that believe that the PS2 is more stable and worth the premium. But I do agree that the MPSS is a great product.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts
Default tire choices

I have two Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires size 305/25 ZR20 off the rear of my Porsche 911. They are in great shape with 7/32 tread left. I had a blowout on one of my fronts and replaced all 4 with a different brand as I could not find more MPSS in my size. CHEAP
I bought Pirelli P Zero Nero GT , four for $1200

http://saginaw.craigslist.org/wto/5831703107.html
Old 12-07-2016, 07:35 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mjsporsche
Hmmm. You seem to be 100% certain. Not necessarily correct. The mold process making Michelin tires is fairly consistent between the two types of tires; not the same as your $1500 10 year old computer analogy. There are some on this forum that believe that the PS2 is more stable and worth the premium. But I do agree that the MPSS is a great product.

I did a lot of research before i bought the MPSS. Michelin has some pretty conclusive evidence how much better the SS is than the PS2. Not only with grip, braking, etc.... but also better wear characteristics as well. Track times are also 1-2 seconds quicker on a 1 minute track (which is about the same difference as going from a PSS to a PSC2 tire). I have nothing against the MPS2 tire, I just think the MPSS is a slightly better tire in everyway.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:50 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

UPDATE, for anyone keeping score. Had a nice long talk with Damon at TireRack today (nice chap, btw -- helpful, pleasant and informed. Nice to deal with.). MPSS rears availability continues to slip and he doesn't have a tremendous amount of faith in the timing. Great tire, but not the "end all be all". We talked in great detail about the options, including the new upcoming Michelins and Contis (actual delivery dates not likely until spring/summer but ETAs and pricing unclear), so I went with the Bridgestone S-04s. By most accounts it's a great tire too, Damon had only good things to say about them, and many of you have said they are not a bad choice either.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:58 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jsalah
UPDATE, for anyone keeping score. Had a nice long talk with Damon at TireRack today (nice chap, btw -- helpful, pleasant and informed. Nice to deal with.). MPSS rears availability continues to slip and he doesn't have a tremendous amount of faith in the timing. Great tire, but not the "end all be all". We talked in great detail about the options, including the new upcoming Michelins and Contis (actual delivery dates not likely until spring/summer but ETAs and pricing unclear), so I went with the Bridgestone S-04s. By most accounts it's a great tire too, Damon had only good things to say about them, and many of you have said they are not a bad choice either.
i think in this situation the S04 is a great choice. It seems that they are so close to the PS2 and the price is much less. If MPSS aren't avail, I would bypass the PS2 and do what you did.

Nexy tire i want to try is the cup2 as I only put about 5k miles on my car a year and never drive it in the rain. Would love to close the gap, just a little bit to my buddies GT4. I think people vastly underrate tire importance. Drives me nuts when you see someone spend a ton of money on Coilovers and suspension tuning and they are running Hankook Evo v12 tires.

Quick Reply: Tire choices