Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AVAILABLE OPTIONS ON A 12 GTS 4 ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:45 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default AVAILABLE OPTIONS ON A 12 GTS 4 ???

Does anyone know what "all" the options were available 2012 GTS 4?
I have been looking at several to buy but the pricing is all over the board depending on the options selected. Also what are the "must have" options?
Thanks
Old 05-09-2016, 12:52 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

As far as the "must have".. I'd say that depends entirely upon who is using the car and for what purpose. My must haves would not be the same as someone buying this car for their wife to use who lives in Maui. Nor would they be the same as someone who lives in Yellowknife.

The intended use and location will likely factor in largely. Its kind of a personal thing.. there isnt a universal must have options list for a car with umpteen combinations of available options
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 108 Posts

+1, but significant differentiator will be manual or PDK.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:53 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 556 Likes on 365 Posts

Poke around here, lots of good info on options/etc.

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/catalogues/
Old 05-09-2016, 04:51 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Helpful..thank you !!

Originally Posted by saabin
Poke around here, lots of good info on options/etc.

https://www.stuttcars.com/technical/catalogues/
Old 05-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

Good comments above on "must have" items. That's a personal decision. For example, I consider the PCCB option to be a must have option. It's an expensive option. Many people look for cars without this option, especially if they track their car frequently. Some people care about lots of interior upgrades, some people couldn't care less.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:50 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

I always look for a car with everything it can possibly have, because when you are buying used, you are hardly paying for any of it. The used car price of a stripped car and a loaded car is minimal,
Old 05-09-2016, 09:11 PM
02m2
Rennlist Member

I agree and generally think that is true. Don't plan on tracking this one and want the pdk box. Have a couple other air cooled's that are sticks.
Live in SoCal and this will be an occasional DD with some more spirited
Canyon runner once in a while. Any reason why a 4 would be preferable since it does not snow where I am and has barely rained in the last 4 years?

Originally Posted by OKB
I always look for a car with everything it can possibly have, because when you are buying used, you are hardly paying for any of it. The used car price of a stripped car and a loaded car is minimal,
Old 05-09-2016, 09:57 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This doc will help and confound; it's a complete list of build codes for 997.2s. Many items are standard equipment in certain world markets. The bold text merely identifies items pertaining to my GTS.
Attached Files
File Type: docx
997.2 Build & Option Codes.docx (31.3 KB, 775 views)
Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 PM
j997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All good advice above. I just picked up a '12 4 GTS myself with PDK. Did research like you and the only must have options for me were Sport Chrono Plus (a must for PDK cars IMHO) and some form of sport seat. LWBs would have been the ticket but they are rare. Most of these cars were optioned fairly well and Porsche threw a lot of what was optional equipment into the standard spec. I found cars better optioned than mine but with much higher mileage. I wanted a low mileage car and that somewhat limited my choices. I wanted a 4 as it is my DD and I live in a colder, wet climate. Good luck. Great car.
Old 05-09-2016, 11:56 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by 02m2
I agree and generally think that is true. Don't plan on tracking this one and want the pdk box. Have a couple other air cooled's that are sticks.
Live in SoCal and this will be an occasional DD with some more spirited
Canyon runner once in a while. Any reason why a 4 would be preferable since it does not snow where I am and has barely rained in the last 4 years?
The AWD system in the 997 wasn't designed for poor weather traction. It was designed for improved traction cornering, and the ability to put the power down faster exiting a corner. Even with the added weight, the AWD cars frequently post better track times than the RWD cars with a typical driver. Don't get me wrong; most purists prefer the RWD car and when it will generally be faster on the track with an experienced driver.

When I bought my 997, I wanted the following options: PCCB, Adaptive Sport Seats, Sport Chrono, Short Shifter, Sport Steering Wheel. I think that PSE is a great option if you can find it. Many of the other options are cosmetic, things like the Porsche crest in the seats, additional leather interior trim, etc.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:37 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Thanks Bob !!
Very helpful.....

Originally Posted by TxBob74
This doc will help and confound; it's a complete list of build codes for 997.2s. Many items are standard equipment in certain world markets. The bold text merely identifies items pertaining to my GTS.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:39 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

I have been looking at ask prices and notice they are not trading quickly. What should be a good buy price (not asking) on well optioned car under 20k mi. ?

Originally Posted by j997tt
All good advice above. I just picked up a '12 4 GTS myself with PDK. Did research like you and the only must have options for me were Sport Chrono Plus (a must for PDK cars IMHO) and some form of sport seat. LWBs would have been the ticket but they are rare. Most of these cars were optioned fairly well and Porsche threw a lot of what was optional equipment into the standard spec. I found cars better optioned than mine but with much higher mileage. I wanted a low mileage car and that somewhat limited my choices. I wanted a 4 as it is my DD and I live in a colder, wet climate. Good luck. Great car.
Old 05-10-2016, 01:41 AM
02m2
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dennis.....do you know what options can be added at the dealer after the fact?

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The AWD system in the 997 wasn't designed for poor weather traction. It was designed for improved traction cornering, and the ability to put the power down faster exiting a corner. Even with the added weight, the AWD cars frequently post better track times than the RWD cars with a typical driver. Don't get me wrong; most purists prefer the RWD car and when it will generally be faster on the track with an experienced driver.

When I bought my 997, I wanted the following options: PCCB, Adaptive Sport Seats, Sport Chrono, Short Shifter, Sport Steering Wheel. I think that PSE is a great option if you can find it. Many of the other options are cosmetic, things like the Porsche crest in the seats, additional leather interior trim, etc.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:03 AM
j997tt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found prices to be highly mileage dependent. Certain options might draw a few more dollars but mileage (and associated condition), no over the top modifications, and MY seem to be the common pricing 'denominators'. I am sure some might disagree. Did not see that much of a difference between prices of RWD and AWD all things being equal. I don't agree that they are not moving quickly - correctly priced GTSs don't hang around for a long time. I assume the reason you see some not moving is unrealistic pricing or a car with history.

I searched for a long time and wanted something under 10k with certain must have options. Found my MY 12 4 GTS with 6k miles and 127k window sticker for 79K. This is on the higher end but I am OK with it because I got what I wanted and was prepared to pay. I see similar cars to mine, higher mileage (10-20k) with less desirable options going in the mid-80s. These seem overpriced. MY 11 seem to go for 3-5k less than MY 12 cars.

There was a recent thread here on GTS pricing so you might want to search. Owners were providing purchase data.

Good luck.

Originally Posted by 02m2
I have been looking at ask prices and notice they are not trading quickly. What should be a good buy price (not asking) on well optioned car under 20k mi. ?

Quick Reply: AVAILABLE OPTIONS ON A 12 GTS 4 ???