Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Microphone for Bluetooth connection

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016 | 05:45 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Default Microphone for Bluetooth connection

Just stopped by the local P dealer and to get the AUX/iPod connection kit enabled.
They found the Bluetooth option installed in my car (2010 gt3) but it was disabled.
They enabled it and I can now connect and sync phone book (could only connect through Trip/Sports Chrono before). I can make calls and all.
But, no sound is going through from my end. So, I'm thinking I have a microphone missing, but as my car was (apparently) ordered with the Bluetooth kit how can that be?

How can I check for installed microphone easiest? If not there, is it the Bluetooth kit (suncoast: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2s_electronics) I need, even though the car according to Porsche was ordered with the Bluetooth kit?
Old 05-13-2016 | 01:21 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Bump
Old 05-13-2016 | 05:32 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bovien
Just stopped by the local P dealer and to get the AUX/iPod connection kit enabled.
They found the Bluetooth option installed in my car (2010 gt3) but it was disabled.
They enabled it and I can now connect and sync phone book (could only connect through Trip/Sports Chrono before). I can make calls and all.
But, no sound is going through from my end. So, I'm thinking I have a microphone missing, but as my car was (apparently) ordered with the Bluetooth kit how can that be?

How can I check for installed microphone easiest? If not there, is it the Bluetooth kit (suncoast: http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...2s_electronics) I need, even though the car according to Porsche was ordered with the Bluetooth kit?
Bovine- Did you check the build sheet with VIN to make sure your car was ordered with Bluetooth option? If not PM me the VIN and I can check the build sheet for you.

Also my understanding is all 997.2 cars comes with Bluetooth built in either disabled or enabled depending on Bluetooth option chosen. So for the cars ordered with no bluetooth option can be enabled by Dealer with a code from Porsche and add microphone to the steering column using the tequipment kit.

Suncoast/Bluetooth Teq kit (Part# 997-044-902-33) contains:
997.646.315.00 Microphone Left Qty 1
997.646.319.00 Microphone Right Qty 1
997.044.902.44 Wiring harness Qty 1
997.610.233.01 Cable guide Qty 1
N0209044 Tie Wrap Qty 10
PIWIS downloadable activation code for your VIN.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Pors968; 05-14-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-15-2016 | 07:32 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pors968
Bovine- Did you check the build sheet with VIN to make sure your car was ordered with Bluetooth option? If not PM me the VIN and I can check the build sheet for you.

Also my understanding is all 997.2 cars comes with Bluetooth built in either disabled or enabled depending on Bluetooth option chosen. So for the cars ordered with no bluetooth option can be enabled by Dealer with a code from Porsche and add microphone to the steering column using the tequipment kit.

Suncoast/Bluetooth Teq kit (Part# 997-044-902-33) contains:
N0209044 Tie Wrap Qty 10
PIWIS downloadable activation code for your VIN.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Great info

The dealer did check the VIN and found it ordered with bluetooth. It seems strange to me, if all 997.2 came so the bluetooth could simply be enabled without the fitting code from Porsche.
They just enabled it without any fuss, and to them, it looked as if it was ready to go.
But alas, as mentioned, no sound gets through to the person I'm calling. So, the microphone is probably the way forward. But that also needs to be enabled even thought the Bluetooth has been enabled?

Also, what is the easiest way to check if I have the microphone? I would prefer that before ordering parts
I'm guessing it is to be installed in the steering column surrounds?
Old 05-21-2016 | 09:38 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

No-one has experience with adding the microphone? Is it actually in the steering wheel column?
Old 05-21-2016 | 11:59 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

No-one has experience with adding the microphone? Is it actually in the steering wheel column?
I added one but with the Dension kit. I think by the time you bought the OEM microphone you may be better off with an aftermarket kit that allows you to answer phone calls and stream music.
Old 05-21-2016 | 01:15 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

From the owner's manual (mics highlighted in yellow - there are two for noise canceling):

Mine works very well.
Old 05-23-2016 | 10:56 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Ok. Good. Just need to figure how to disassemble the column....
Old 06-03-2016 | 02:38 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Recently I did add OEM Bluetooth kit (Part# 997-044-902-33) myself.

Basically all I had to do was install two microphones in steering column and wire them to PCM. There is some instructions out there how to wire etc. Dealer has to enable it in PCM thru PIWIS software.

Let me know if you are still looking to find how to install microphones?

Thx.
Old 06-05-2016 | 04:12 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Recently I did add OEM Bluetooth kit (Part# 997-044-902-33) myself.

Basically all I had to do was install two microphones in steering column and wire them to PCM. There is some instructions out there how to wire etc. Dealer has to enable it in PCM thru PIWIS software.

Let me know if you are still looking to find how to install microphones?

Thx.
Sweet. Sounds simple enough. Can't figure if I need to remove the steering wheel to get in there, though.
Also, you say 'wire'. I'm guessing/hoping its just a plug and not a cut/solder deal, right?
Old 06-05-2016 | 02:20 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Sweet. Sounds simple enough. Can't figure if I need to remove the steering wheel to get in there, though.
Also, you say 'wire'. I'm guessing/hoping its just a plug and not a cut/solder deal, right?
bovein- No need to remove steering wheel. You remove upper steering column cover(2 screws) behind wheel where two microphones installed. All wires are straight plug, no cutting/ no splice/ no solder.

I will write up instructions and post soon. Stay tuned.
Old 06-06-2016 | 12:51 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Install Bluetooth Teq kit Part# : 997-044-902-33 ( I paid $461 online from PePe Porsche, List is $600)
Kit contains:
N0209044 Tie Wrap Qty 10
PCM bluetooth HFP unlock code for your VIN.

If you don't need unlock code(Bluetooth HPF already enabled in PCM), You can order the parts separately(#'s above) for about half the price of kit.

Tools Required: Trox 10, 15, 30 screw drivers, Plastic trim removing tool, 5mm hex key, small jewelry driver, Flash light & Standard Philips #2 screw driver.

Install Steps:
1. Install microphones on upper steering column trim. No need remove steering wheel. Unscrew two trox screws from under the lower trim corners and pull up the upper trim.

http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/eb...trim_panel.pdf

2. Remove lower dash cover driver side.
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...er-dash-2.html
Post #25

Some info: http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/eb...7_dashtrim.pdf

3. Remove PCM:
Followed this for most part:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ion-guide.html

4. Wiring from Micro phones to PCM.
Part# 997.044.902.44, Long harness with 2 plugs one side (plugs to microphones as color coded), Other end goes to into PCM. If Bose system was an option, you may plug a wire to Bose amp from PCM.

There may be already a wiring connected to PCM (blue molex type connector).
You may need to remove the wired from existing molex connector (I used small jewelry screw driver) and plug to Microphone harness. Also tied the wires under dash using the cable ties in the kit.

5. Reinstall every thing back.

6. Stop by at Porsche dealer to enable Bluetooth Hands Free Profile (HFP) in PCM thru PIWIS using the unlock code (If necessary). At the same time dealer can update PCM firmware to latest version 2.23 or above.

7. Make/Receive call thru car speakers.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-12-2016 | 04:27 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

AMAZING info!! Thanks a lot! I will get on this, as soon as I get back from my little trip crossing the Alps and Europe.
Old 06-12-2016 | 03:18 PM
monster1
Advanced

Hi Bovien, I retrofitted the bluetooth kit in my car a while back as well, as Pors968 says, its not difficult and you just need to remove your steering column cowel to discover whether the mics are fitted or not - there should be two, one under each of the little grilles that you see in the top of the cover.

There is a TSB available that guides you through the steps of retrofitting the complete kit - if you PM me with your email address I'll send you a copy.
Old 07-10-2016 | 09:23 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

4. Wiring from Micro phones to PCM.
Part# 997.044.902.44, Long harness with 2 plugs one side (plugs to microphones as color coded), Other end goes to into PCM. If Bose system was an option, you may plug a wire to Bose amp from PCM.

There may be already a wiring connected to PCM (blue molex type connector).
You may need to remove the wired from existing molex connector (I used small jewelry screw driver) and plug to Microphone harness. Also tied the wires under dash using the cable ties in the kit.

Hope this helps.
Again, thanks for your perfect info. I've finally had time to take a look at this (you caught me on vacation, crossing the Alpes)...
I see a plastic shielding in place where the microphones are, so I need to order these.

I just want to check with you on the exisiting connection you found to you PCM. So where the microphone harness was supposed to connect to the PCM you had another connection? Do you know what that was?
Why did you need to remove the plug from the existing harness to fit to the microphone harness?

Also, as I have already had the bluetooth connection enabled by Porsche (I can make/receive calls, but they cannot hear me), do I need the code at all? I mean; is the code for the microphone connection or to enable bluetooth?
I'm thinking, that if not, I could just order the microphones and hardness and save a few $ (OEM things tend to get horrendously expensive here in Denmark...)

Again, thanks a lot!

/Stefan

Quick Reply: Microphone for Bluetooth connection