Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forum and internet ruining ownership experience…?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 04:17 PM
DWNDRAFT
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Forum and internet ruining ownership experience…?

I wonder if other owners recognize this feeling, and maybe even know how to deal with it…?

Having owned a few different cars thru the years from 80sand 90s Ferraris, and Lamborghinis to Corvettes and vintage Porches, I am surprised that with THIS car I am suddenly spending time worrying about my car shealth, to the point where it affects my enjoyment of the car.

I am new in my 997 ownership, and I really enjoy driving the car, in fact it’shard to stop driving it.

The searched to find the 997 with exactly the specs I wanted was long, and during that search I off cause read some good buyers guides, andalso some horror stories. I have since then read more as I dived into theownership. I kind of wish I hadn’t..

In ended up with what I understand now is relatively high mileage997 (?) a 2006 997C4S manual. It has 88K miles.

I sort of made peace with the IMS, I think, but now I can start to worry about the mighty bore score issue, that is somewhere between low risk and waiting just around the corner to explode my engine, as is can read in a variety of forums, guides etc.

Never have I spend more time listing for ticking noises,looking at and comparing tail pipe colors, monitoring oil consumption and adapting/nursing my driving habits, as with this car.

I really enjoy the forum and communities around the cars andall the support and knowhow that is available, but I have never owned a car where there was this much talk around certain issues and where you constantly haveto gauge facts, stories and commercial interest to this level.

So, am I the only one that would like a “memory flash” and just go drive?,.. even if it does go bang
Old 05-05-2016, 04:22 PM
caitov
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In that case I hope you aren't looking up every ache, pain, or ailment on the internet - because it always comes back as cancer.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:25 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Take it all with a large grain of salt. A lot of the posted issues (and diagnostics) are nonsense.
Old 05-05-2016, 04:27 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by caitov
In that case I hope you aren't looking up every ache, pain, or ailment on the internet - because it always comes back as cancer.
brilliantly funny. laughed my head off at this comment
Old 05-05-2016, 04:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

If this car goes kaflooey tomorrow, will it break you financially? Will you not have a way to get to work? Otherwise, drive it like you stole it, and don't fret about internet hobgoblins. Life's too short to worry about this stuff to the point of inaction. Your loved ones, their health - that's worth worrying about. A car? No freaking way...T
Old 05-05-2016, 05:10 PM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Well said tomc_mets. Life is short....enjoy the drive. No regrets.
(I have a 997.2S with 71000 miles on it, 10k in the last 11 months (daily driven).
Old 05-05-2016, 05:51 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Take it all with a large grain of salt. A lot of the posted issues (and diagnostics) are nonsense.
like you would know.

the cars have issues. How prevalent they are depends on who you believe and what the issue is. if you have the money to fix an engine going bang without a problem, then don't worry about a thing.

Its only money.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:25 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

42000 911 sold 2005-2008 ........still seems like odds are on your side
Old 05-05-2016, 06:28 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

You know it's probably Porsche hiring people to post scary potential issues so we all buy new or CPO'ed 911s right? I have personally never been so happy to see two equally sooty tail pipes on my 2009 997.2.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with people posting about cars, or reviewing just about anything is this: Those who had a bad experience or are angry or frustrated tend to post their experiences at much higher frequency than those who haven't had those experiences. People who have had a positive experience are far less likely to go to the trouble to get on the internet just to say that everything is great. So, what you are going to see on any internet forum are negatives and I don't think Porsche forums are an exception.
Old 05-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

Either way its kinda up to you to decide what to worry about. Sure there are catastrophic failures but life itself is full of catastrophic failures. No reason to let the one object that can help you feel like a kid again add to that. It can be hard, I'll admit, not to worry about goings on with the car. But in the end.. its just a car. Whether newer, older, top spec or basic spec.. these things are great fun and there is no need to let worry bother you, especially not from people online. If it catches on fire, well slow down and get out. Besides that just let the good times roll
Old 05-05-2016, 07:11 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

I am paid by porsche as a fear monger-er.
Terrifying the internet and the RL community.
Everyone should upgrade to a 991.2 with full bumper to bumper warranty and coverage.

Kidding - Internet is full of whiners and complainer.
Normal happy people are out driving their cars. Not posting or reading.
DWNDRAFT - It is the same problems on my snowmobile board and my Subaru board. I concur.
Solution - turn up the tunes.

BUT - I have learnt a lot here. What to look out for, and what take with a grain of salt. I try and share what I know, good and bad. Short cuts that are good or bad. I am not really employed employed by Porsche. I just give them my cash.
Old 05-05-2016, 07:38 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Melbourne15
Well said tomc_mets. Life is short....enjoy the drive. No regrets.
(I have a 997.2S with 71000 miles on it, 10k in the last 11 months (daily driven).
71 thousand?!? Eek!! You're driving it too much.
Just kidding.
I don't DD mine, but I do come up with every lame *** excuse to drive it that I can think of.
T
Old 05-05-2016, 08:10 PM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know much about P-engines, that is why I'm not paying much attention to those kind of internet posting (you may say that I'm a kind of ignorant...well, maybe on the P-field). But I really enjoy driving my car...with already has 38.5K miles, and putting some money in parts and labor, here or there, "just in case".

But the good news are: There is a company offering a top-notch 4.0 engine which can solve most of our P-engine problems (wondering if we can get the same HP and torque of the GT3 RS with the Jake's motor?); and lot of solutions for brakes, suspensions, exhausts, forged wheels, body, tons of used like-new parts on eBay, forums, and P-Dealerships like Suncoast or Melbourne FL which offer best price on the market for OEM pieces...just in case we need it.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:46 PM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts

Don't worry, the 356 Speedster has no technology, no power, it's uncomfortable and totally unpractical too!

Quick Reply: Forum and internet ruining ownership experience…?