997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me decide!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016 | 01:50 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Buy the old school boxy Pilot (the Denali is just a big boxy SUV anyway).

In reality, the Honda is the better product than the Denali. Or if she is totally sold on it, get a 1 year old one for 25% less. I bought my wife a little Audi after our pilot was getting a ton of miles on it. Then talked her into keeping it, so we throw the surfboards in the back and take it to the beach or dirt bike in the desert and don't really have to worry about it that much. At 160k miles it would only sell for 7-8k anyway, so we kept it. The other cool thing is that I drive it about every other day to keep miles off my 911 (plus I find when I drive the 911 everyday, it doesn't feel as special after a while). Keeping the pilot has turned out to be a great choice and it is always convent to have an extra car, so when you are working on one of the others.

Btw, our pilot had 173k now and appears to be going strong. If image is a consideration, maybe talk her into a used MDX. Much more fun to drive than a Denali and bullet proof Honda
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:10 AM
O.C.911
Rennlist Member

Thank you all for your inputs!

I was leaning towards to let go T4S (09, 47,*** miles, PDK, SC package, 120K new, in excellent condition), however, GMC dealer called me today and offered 38K. I swear man fathamocking ***#$#@ .. I told him to kiss my *** and hung up. I believe they called local porsche dealers to bid for my car which I believe much higher than what gmc offered because when I told him to KMA, he said what would I want for it so he can work something out.
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:17 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by O.C.911
Thank you all for your inputs!

I was leaning towards to let go T4S (09, 47,*** miles, PDK, SC package, 120K new, in excellent condition), however, GMC dealer called me today and offered 38K. I swear
man fathamocking ***#$#@ .. I told him to kiss my *** and hung up. I believe they called local
porsche dealers to bid for my car which I believe much higher than what gmc offered because when I
told him to KMA, he said what would I want for it so he can work something out.
Wow, screw that. Unless they are going to give you a Denali for $30k. I guess you have a good excuse for the wife at least.
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:27 AM
MemeMagno
Instructor

Lease, Lease, and Lease. Try not to sale, if that's eventually possible...And for Denali, try to lease a demo or one with super low mileage; there are plenty around the country. Shipping? Not a problem: Call intercity and reserve with the lowest rate...in a couple of days you will get the car at the front door, for the 1/2 the price of any other carrier.
Old 04-29-2016 | 07:21 AM
RES22
Intermediate

I just went through something similar. I've owned an 84 ROW cab since '04. It's got 34k miles and has been in my family since '86. Found my dream '11 997.2 GTS cab. Promised the wife that I'd sell the old to bring in the new. Made the "mistake" of buying the '11 before selling the '84. Got up early one brisk morning, unzipped the back window, rolled down the driver's window and took the '84 on a spirited drive to the mechanic for some pre-marketing work. Instant reminder of just how much fun a 32 year old car w a cranky gearbox and only 231 HP can be...got home and found some other assets to sell, so keeping both - at least for the time being. What else can you find to sell???
Old 04-29-2016 | 08:25 AM
cosanchez
Advanced

You actually have 2 separate actions. You need to keep them separate to keep your sanity and marriage.

Your wife wants the Denali. You've had 2 Porsches. Seems like you need to go buy her the suv for the best price

Figure out a way to sell an asset to keep both Porsches. But ask yourself this. What is the running cost plus depreciation hit on the 997 over the next 5 yrs. On an annual basis it's probably not that much? The fact your bringing it to us for advice means you need to keep both
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:37 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

I'd be tempted to sell the 964. Buy low, sell high, right?

The T4S is probably costing you about $600/mo in depreciation. Not cheap, but you can daily drive a 997.2 T4S. You can't really do that with a 964.

A new Denali will probably cost more like $1K/mo in depreciation.

Another option: Instead of a new Denali, get a used 200-series Land Cruiser or Lexus LX 570. They are built to withstand a nuclear winter. A buddy of mine just picked up a 2008 LX. He loves it. Amazing vehicles. Here's one for sale nearby: http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5557723968.html
Old 04-29-2016 | 02:43 PM
Buddhamonk
Three Wheelin'

No brainer - keep the 964 and sell the 997 private party

Quick Reply: Please help me decide!!