Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2) - Page 10 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page > Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2)
Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Poll: Have you had bore scoring on your 997.1 or 997.2 engine?
Yes, 997.1 (05-08 MY)
11.42%
Yes, 997.2 (09-12 MY)
0.62%
No, 997.1 (05-08 MY)
56.48%
No, 997.2 (09-12 MY)
31.48%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Scored cylinder failure for your 997, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1 or 997.2)

Old 02-14-2018, 03:48 AM
Jeffblak
User

Thatís a good suggestion. I had the pan off during a recent oil change but was not thinking about the bores at that time. It was the first time the pan was off I believe and it was free of any particles. I will give it a go at the next oil change and also send a sample to Blackstone as Charles N. suggests. Meanwhile, like always, Iíll just keep aware of the car. I would like to meet up with your Marin group sometime, does this forum have a way you can privately send your email?
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM
Fuggit
User

Originally Posted by Jeffblak View Post
Thatís a good suggestion. I had the pan off during a recent oil change but was not thinking about the bores at that time. It was the first time the pan was off I believe and it was free of any particles. I will give it a go at the next oil change and also send a sample to Blackstone as Charles N. suggests. Meanwhile, like always, Iíll just keep aware of the car. I would like to meet up with your Marin group sometime, does this forum have a way you can privately send your email?
Hi Jeff. Awesome findings, and very thorough.

If I were in your shoes, I highly recommend a boroscoping by a trusted indy for added peace of mind, sometimes different equipment will defintively distinguish between polish lines and real scores.

If, and my fingers are crossed for you, that itís 100% clean and non-problematic, consider immediately replacing the water pump (pre-emptively), changing it out to a low-temp thermostat, and consider a 3rd rad if it doesnít have one already. The whole cooling system is not complex, but complicated with many potential points of failure. Some people have proven that the thermostat donít always fully open when it should. If your car is clean, this is seriously cheap insurance to consider, and most importantly, pre-empt problems.

Oil brand will always be debated, but 0W40 or 5W40 are virtually interchangeable, and Mobil1 will ďburnĒ at a faster rate than say LiquiMoly or Motul though itís half the cost of those two.

Oil change is too infrequent at 1-2yrs despite mileage as Iíd think all oils will degrade over a period of time. Frequent oil changes regardless of mileage is part of the regiment with the LTT water pump and 3rd rad. Consider changing twice a year - oct before winter, and apr in spring.

Anyway, just my .02. My 06 C4S has been treating me really well so far. Would love to see more C4Sís on the road as 997ís in good shape start to become rare these days.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Jeffblak
User

Thanks for the input Fuggit,
I don’t think more scoping would change anything for me and the data would be academic. Either this will become a problem or it won’t, but the course of action is the same either way; maintain the car well, enjoy it, and if symptoms develop then rebuild the engine.

I did the water pump, thermostat and coolant flush last weekend. I bought an “Airlift” vacuum tool for putting the coolant back in and I’ve got to say that thing worked great - all 8 gallons back went back in quickly and with no air pockets. Incidentally, the old water pump looked as perfect as the new one, no wear, no corrosion at all, and the impeller looked new after 11 years. However the PH of the “lifetime” coolant was down at 7.8 (should be around 8.5). I have determined that 1 “Porsche coolant lifetime” is < 10 years. I would say change the coolant if the PH is below 8.0 to avoid corrosion.