Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dream car turned out to be a nightmare, had to say good bye.

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016 | 03:23 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I am like Hemingway.

On Rennlist.

The end.
Old 05-03-2016 | 03:32 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
just look in the mirror you'll see a ********.

take your own advice sport, nothing wrong with buying newer, the old saying is buy as new as you can afford, less likely to have problems, etc
Old 05-03-2016 | 03:38 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
I guess we'll let you all off the hook. From Malahhaor's last post, it's obvious he is less passionate about Porsches than you all are. He traded his 911 in on a BMW, or a Mazda, or something--I stopped reading at "3".

Malahhaor, we hope you wind up back here with posts about how much you love your new P-car, when you finally tire of that Bavarian sedan.
I traded for a BMW (originally looked to get back in to Merc) because it was a cheap, fast and easier way out of this particular Carrera. It will allow me to take my time and look for another Carrera that's just perfect for my tastes.

My heart skips a beat every time I see a 911 on the road. I am getting back on that horse sooner or later.
Old 05-03-2016 | 03:38 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
Hey bud I'm in Socal like you, would you like to meet up and talk shop???
seriously
Old 05-03-2016 | 04:52 PM
Gofishracing
Race Car

What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you? Huh? You mean the way I talk, Funny ? how ? And NO Kiborting
Old 05-03-2016 | 05:05 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

I am like Hemingway.

On Rennlist.

The end.
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To die...
In the rain.
Alone.

With a failed IMS bearing.
Old 05-03-2016 | 05:23 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

woah, guys, guys, guys

chill
Old 05-03-2016 | 07:03 PM
motopix
Pro

Old 05-03-2016 | 09:14 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
woah, guys, guys, guys

chill
thats what i've been saying but no one listens
Old 05-03-2016 | 09:33 PM
secondshot
Racer

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
What do you mean funny? Like a clown? Do I amuse you? Huh? You mean the way I talk, Funny ? how ? And NO Kiborting
One of the greatest scenes in one of the greatest movies. Goodfellas. Hilarious.
Old 05-04-2016 | 01:06 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Hats off to the OP for remaining a gentleman, and not heading for the proverbial hills after such a poor ownership experience. Sympathies to you, but it sounds like you're gathering your senses and willing to retry Porsche ownership... with your wife's approval no less! She deserves some type of medal.

Most any model of any series - regardless of brand or reputation - can have extremes on both ends of reliability. The 997 is generally regarded highly, keeping in mind that the negative bias is skewed since those having problems are clearly the most vocal. (Seeking help, similarities, et cetera.)

Anyway, wishing you the best while you catch your breath, with it occasionally taken away by that next Porsche. Keep a space clear in that garage!
Old 05-04-2016 | 01:33 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Originally Posted by malahhaor
Issues were completely random.
Bunch of electronic issues, several various modules changed including immobilizer, alarm, rear Sam, steering column module (twice). Steering rack, main seal as well as ims seal. Hydrolic vario-cam solenoids (both in span of 3 weeks). Shift cables, and a couple more issues that I can't remember at the moment.
Almost seems like the car was flodded but everything was clean on Carfax and the car was purchased from a high end luxury dealership. So I think just bad luck.
Honestly, it sounds like you got a Hurricane Sandy car. I read that there are a ton of those floating around with fraudulent titles and clean Car Fax. After all, if your car is flooded, there is a strong financial incentive just to let it dry out, clean it, and offload it to some other guy instead of having insurance "repair' it, and taking the equity hit.

I've never heard of a 997 having so many issues, especially in such a short amount of time. I've had mine 3 years and have had to repair virtually nothing (Porsche fixed a speaker that sounded off, and said they found a rattle in the sunroof that I never heard).
Old 05-04-2016 | 01:55 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by malahhaor
I traded for a BMW (originally looked to get back in to Merc) because it was a cheap, fast and easier way out of this particular Carrera. It will allow me to take my time and look for another Carrera that's just perfect for my tastes.

My heart skips a beat every time I see a 911 on the road. I am getting back on that horse sooner or later.
I'm just playing with you. No explanations necessary.

Originally Posted by Valkuri
Why did the chicken cross the road?

To die...
In the rain.
Alone.

With a failed IMS bearing.
LOL.

Originally Posted by Adams
Most any model of any series - regardless of brand or reputation - can have extremes on both ends of reliability. The 997 is generally regarded highly, keeping in mind that the negative bias is skewed since those having problems are clearly the most vocal. (Seeking help, similarities, et cetera.)
When you have an opportunity to get a car on your bucket list and the car turns out to be a lemon, it's awfully easy to just condemn the entire brand. I'm impressed that the OP hasn't done that. It really does seem like his car was an outlier.

Originally Posted by ABQ997
Honestly, it sounds like you got a Hurricane Sandy car. I read that there are a ton of those floating around with fraudulent titles and clean Car Fax.
I see what you did there.
Old 11-21-2019 | 08:48 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Emmm.... so just found this old thread in my subscriptions......
Wanted to give an update, not that anyone would care but still....

I am currently a proud owner of Black on Black 991.1 with ventilated seats, enter and drive and most importantly manual trans. Got it for my birthday early this year.
And decided not to take it through Chicago winters so a moth ago got me a beater for winter, 08 Cayenne GTS
Keeping fingers crossed for easy ownership. Love both rides and extremely impressed with the GTS. Never knew something that weights 5500lbs can drive so freaking well.

Now just to be able to afford that Panamera GTS wifey wants........
The following 2 users liked this post by malahhaor:
PierW (11-27-2019), ThunderRolls (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019 | 10:10 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I'm guessing the 997.1 you had issues with and spent way too much money repairing was purchased with no service history/records and no PPI performed?
Secret to buying any Porsche is to make sure it is well serviced.
Important to buy with services documented and PPI performed to thoroughly check for fluid leaks/suspension issues/driveability/overall wear/etc.
Buying a well serviced example keeps costs to a minimum.
This has been my experience with the 50 or so Porsche's I have purchased/owned over the past 35 years.

The following users liked this post:
Vincent713 (11-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Dream car turned out to be a nightmare, had to say good bye.