Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016 | 10:54 AM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Best sandals ever, don't need breaking in
https://www.nordstromrack.com/shop/p...1-adType%5EPLA
Old 04-21-2016 | 10:58 AM
hwood
Track Day

Originally Posted by jglaze
So, did you enjoy smashing the windows in her car?
I just drove away.
Old 04-21-2016 | 10:58 AM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Felate. I learned a new word. I always used "perform ..." I can't wait for the occasion to use my new vocabulary.
Old 04-21-2016 | 11:32 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hwood
I learned this lesson years ago when someone parked next to my 328i and the passenger door swung open and scratched the paint on my door. The driver, an elderly woman quipped while walking away "if you didn't want it dented, shouldn't have drove it". From that moment on, I realized that I cannot put my car on a pedestal, no one else will. If I drive it, I have to be willing to accept the a-holes that wouldn't think twice about swinging their door into mine or the dirt haulers that shower debris on the highways.
Some people, young or old, were just poorly raised.

Never taught to respect the property (or personal space) of others, etc.

Shouldn't really impact your views on your car (or anything else) other than to be prepared and take precautions where possible.

I guess you may be saying the same thing -- acceptance of when things are outside of your control. That I agree with.
Old 04-21-2016 | 01:48 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Wait, is it a car or a door stop, that would be my reply

That's just a lack of respect for other people's property. Same with when people sit on a hood. "Does that hood look like a chair to you?"

I learned this lesson years ago when someone parked next to my 328i and the passenger door swung open and scratched the paint on my door. The driver, an elderly woman quipped while walking away "if you didn't want it dented, shouldn't have drove it". From that moment on, I realized that I cannot put my car on a pedestal, no one else will. If I drive it, I have to be willing to accept the a-holes that wouldn't think twice about swinging their door into mine or the dirt haulers that shower debris on the highways.
Old 04-21-2016 | 02:01 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crossroads
Felate. I learned a new word. I always used "perform ..." I can't wait for the occasion to use my new vocabulary.
BTW: It's two L's , but I mispell all my naughty words in the forum so the naughty word filter enabled on the message boards doesn't flag and hide it.

Old 04-21-2016 | 02:15 PM
nk215
Instructor

I just drove away.
You have much more self control than I do. I would have come back with a bottle of brake fluid.
Old 04-21-2016 | 02:21 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

The driver, an elderly woman quipped while walking away "if you didn't want it dented, shouldn't have drove it".
Originally Posted by crossroads
Felate. I learned a new word.

HWOOD: Being a foreigner and as such no expert in the English language, I can only surmise that the elderly woman in question may have been culturally challenged as she confronted you with a "... shouldn't have drove it" instead of a "... you shouldn't driven it".

In that case you should have used CROSSROADS newly found word and answered her challenge with a "Felate me!".
Old 04-21-2016 | 04:26 PM
aks801
Rennlist Member

It's interesting. In most any hobby I have ever pursued, there are those that have been in it so long, have amassed so much knowledge, and have seen so many come and go that they became real jaded. And part of it is certainly acquired perspective. You'd like to think the grizzled veterans don't spoil the fun for the wide-eyed neophytes but some of that is inevitable. And probably a healthy part of doing one's due diligence.

I find myself at a point in my life where I may get my first P-car within the next year. I've lusted after them on and off since I was a kid in the early 70's: one neighbor had a 914 (green), another had a Targa (black). Later in the 70's I learned of the 911 Turbos, and I was hooked. Anyway, when I get mine I will definitely do my share of "oh my gosh, I can't believe I finally have one!" while at the same time keeping my worship in check.

Thanks to everyone on here for sharing your knowledge and experiences!
Old 04-21-2016 | 08:34 PM
ace37
Rennlist Member

On the original post, the idea behind "To some the 911 is simply the perfect drivers car" is pretty close to how I feel. Perfect for me, now.

I should say though, to me it is not a perfect car on any absolute scale - rather, for a street driven sports car, the 911 represents an incredibly good set of compromises. It all comes together to make a great car.

To me, the best thing about the Porsche is simple: it has no major faults.

My old man was an Army officer, and I asked him what it took to win a war. He said battles vary, but the side that makes the fewest blunders wins the war. As a sports car, the 911 has no major faults. Very few cars can make that claim. The transmission feels good, the engine sounds good and is smooth, it has enough power, good handling, a quirk to make it unique (rear engine), classic styling, a nice enough interior, some practicality, and so on. Most cars have some fault or issue that's hard to forget - dead steering, a weak engine or unsatisfying sound, a notchy transmission, not nimble, odd styling, bad ergonomics, whatever. Emotion and the quality of experience in virtual reality (VR) today is all about no breaks in immersion, and emotional involvement in driving has a lot of parallel.

It's really really hard to do a good job at everything. But when it all come together, it is immensely satisfying. And that's what I like about the 911.

The other thing is, my friends with exotics, known for evoking emotion better than anything else, typically park them all winter and don't drive them every day of summer either. They look, sound, and feel incredible on the right days. But the real world usage is a lot like a motorcycle. I want a sports car as a part of my daily life, and that means I want to drive it any day and any season. And if later on I can afford an exotic toy too, better yet. Until then, I'll enjoy my 911.
Old 04-21-2016 | 09:09 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Old 04-21-2016 | 09:38 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by nk215
You have much more self control than I do. I would have come back with a bottle of brake fluid.
I'm pretty sure I would of gone all Jack Nicholson on that car. Probably get charged with vandalism if on camera but would of been worth it.
Old 04-22-2016 | 12:26 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ace37
On the original post, the idea behind "To some the 911 is simply the perfect drivers car" is pretty close to how I feel. Perfect for me, now.

I should say though, to me it is not a perfect car on any absolute scale - rather, for a street driven sports car, the 911 represents an incredibly good set of compromises. It all comes together to make a great car.

To me, the best thing about the Porsche is simple: it has no major faults.

My old man was an Army officer, and I asked him what it took to win a war. He said battles vary, but the side that makes the fewest blunders wins the war. As a sports car, the 911 has no major faults. Very few cars can make that claim. The transmission feels good, the engine sounds good and is smooth, it has enough power, good handling, a quirk to make it unique (rear engine), classic styling, a nice enough interior, some practicality, and so on. Most cars have some fault or issue that's hard to forget - dead steering, a weak engine or unsatisfying sound, a notchy transmission, not nimble, odd styling, bad ergonomics, whatever. Emotion and the quality of experience in virtual reality (VR) today is all about no breaks in immersion, and emotional involvement in driving has a lot of parallel.

It's really really hard to do a good job at everything. But when it all come together, it is immensely satisfying. And that's what I like about the 911.

The other thing is, my friends with exotics, known for evoking emotion better than anything else, typically park them all winter and don't drive them every day of summer either. They look, sound, and feel incredible on the right days. But the real world usage is a lot like a motorcycle. I want a sports car as a part of my daily life, and that means I want to drive it any day and any season. And if later on I can afford an exotic toy too, better yet. Until then, I'll enjoy my 911.
Well said!
Old 04-22-2016 | 12:39 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Hmmm - how elderly?

That's why I am so careful where I park. I pulled up the other day into a lot - plenty wide parking places and not crowded and some chick in an SUV pulls up next to me - on top of me, right on the line and too close to open her door to get out - and I can see her looking out the window almost glaring at me, like "now what's she supposed to do?" - but she cannot figure out that she needs to simply back up and reposition her car into the spot. So I moved my car...no, I moved my 911 and it's not "just a car" I'm willing to let some airhead bimbo bang her door into.

I'm a pessimist and count on people being idiots. The great thing about being a pessimist is you'll be either pleased that you were right, or pleased that you were wrong - it's a win win.
Old 04-22-2016 | 12:59 PM
Ezkill
Racer

"if you didn't want it dented, shouldn't have drove it".
I moved to a different city in my early 20's and traded in a sports car for a ford explorer sport trac. It was a necessary vehicle because of the situation at that time. Anyway, it had these bodywork color bumper strips along all of the the doors. Shortly after moving into my new apartment the car started taking damage on the passenger side front door bumper strip.

A rather large woman was basically using my vehicle as her door stop by her own admission. Watched her do it - "THAT'S JUST HOW I OPEN MY DOOR" Didn't care at all and started doing it more maliciously after I talked to her about it. Since the bumper strip on the door was cheap, sacrificial and easy to replace I went on the offensive. Started parking as close to her vehicle as possible when she was there first. Never heard a thing. Few days later she had a new assigned spot.

Quick Reply: To some the 911 is just another fun car, to others it is significantly more than that