997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 car cover

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016 | 05:53 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Get the indoor cover. It 'breathes'. So you can and should leave the windows cracked an inch and then cover the car to let the leather 'breathe' and prevent moisture buildup. The outdoor cover doesn't 'breathe' because it needs to be weatherproof. If you have the option, always go for the indoor cover.
Old 09-01-2016 | 06:39 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Cover benefit

I don't think that the outdoor cover is thicker, and it's not padded. I think the main distinction is that it is water repellant and reflects the sun, thus keeping the car cooler (theoretically), and is designed with straps and buckle to keep it from blowing off should it be windy.

Originally Posted by P-Nuts
Due to a recent addition to my garage, 2017 Macan GTS, I will not be using my 997.1 as daily driver and it needs to move to a different part of the garage, which will make it more vulnerable to kids scuffing it.

So....would the OEM indoor or outdoor cover offer better protection? From the pictures it looks like the outdoor cover is thicker and more padded, and therefore offer better protection?

Advice please :-)

Thanks is advance.
Old 09-01-2016 | 06:44 PM
snethss
Instructor

Pelican has a good overview of what you can find for car covers.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...over_start.htm

I really don't recommend car covers for anything outdoors. You absolutely will scratch your car with even the most expensive cover. The wind blows stuff under there, and then it just rubs it back and forth like sandpaper. The cover itself will start to wear away the paint.

Indoors is more safe as long as you are gentle and you have a clean car.
Old 09-01-2016 | 07:19 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Agree that one should never put a cover on a dirty car. No cover needed in the garage. Outdoors, on the very rare occasions I drive my 997 to work, I hate the idea of it baking in the sun subject to all kinds of debris, so I cover it.

Originally Posted by snethss
Pelican has a good overview of what you can find for car covers.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/...over_start.htm

I really don't recommend car covers for anything outdoors. You absolutely will scratch your car with even the most expensive cover. The wind blows stuff under there, and then it just rubs it back and forth like sandpaper. The cover itself will start to wear away the paint.

Indoors is more safe as long as you are gentle and you have a clean car.
Old 09-02-2016 | 05:48 AM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The car covers that we sell are made by the same company that makes them for Porsche.
It is the same quality and fitment.
We offer them in more colors than just the white/yellow from Porsche :-) .

https://www.facebook.com/carcovers.Carnewal/

Quick Reply: 997 car cover