Sponsored by:

997 car cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 10:31 PM
clconversion
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 car cover

Looking to purchase a Porsche car cover is the best place the dealer to purchase one. What do you guys recommend oem dealer or aftermarket.

Thanks in advance
Neil
Old 04-19-2016, 03:37 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, of all of the car covers I've owned, the Porsche OEM is by far the best. Like much of what Porsche designs, the engineering is actually amazing. The cover folds into its own carry bag. The bag mounts to the wind shield to make deployment and stowing a breeze. Storage in the bottom of the frunk is tidy, unlike normal cover which become an unwieldy mess. And the fit on the car is tailored to fit perfectly like a glove. no sagging, no flogging in the wind, no ballooning or filling with air. It's not inexpensive, but worth every penny.

Hope this feedback helps,
Old 04-19-2016, 12:12 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Neil, I have an oem indoor Porsche car cover for a 997.2 part no. 997.044.000.10. I used it for one season. PM me if you're interested.

Bob
Old 04-19-2016, 01:59 PM
cringely
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the Porsche (silver w/logo) cover. Tight fit (zipper at rear is a nice touch). Very nice to look at, but—when your are taking it off—it will blow off in in a 10+ mph wind if you've waxed your car.
Also, carrying bag permanently attached (I don't use it, just roll the cover up so it is easy to put on the next day), would prefer a detachable bag. Haven't yet figured out the locking straps that are attached.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:00 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Yes, indoor vs outdoor is an important distinction. Mine is the outdoor version, had one for my GTS, so happy with it bought another for my 997S.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:03 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cringely
I have the Porsche (silver w/logo) cover. Tight fit (zipper at rear is a nice touch). Very nice to look at, but—when your are taking it off—it will blow off in in a 10+ mph wind if you've waxed your car.
Also, carrying bag permanently attached (I don't use it, just roll the cover up so it is easy to put on the next day), would prefer a detachable bag. Haven't yet figured out the locking straps that are attached.
Locking straps hang in the frunk when the cover is mounted.
Old 04-19-2016, 02:09 PM
CessnaDriver
Advanced

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Actually, of all of the car covers I've owned, the Porsche OEM is by far the best. Like much of what Porsche designs, the engineering is actually amazing. The cover folds into its own carry bag. The bag mounts to the wind shield to make deployment and stowing a breeze. Storage in the bottom of the frunk is tidy, unlike normal cover which become an unwieldy mess. And the fit on the car is tailored to fit perfectly like a glove. no sagging, no flogging in the wind, no ballooning or filling with air. It's not inexpensive, but worth every penny.

Hope this feedback helps,
Agree with this completely. The best I've ever seen/used. I have the outdoor version... for my indoor garage LOL.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:24 PM
clconversion
Intermediate

Ok good info thanks again so oem seems to be the only way to go now I just need to decide indoor or outdoor cover the car is always parked in the garage.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:29 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by clconversion
Ok good info thanks again so oem seems to be the only way to go now I just need to decide indoor or outdoor cover the car is always parked in the garage.
Then get the indoor.
When I bought mine - which I really like - the dealer told me the inside of the indoor cover is softer than the outdoor cover.... It really is very soft and fits like a glove -- mine doesn't look very taut right now for two reasons: 1. My own laziness and 2. I have the battery tender cable lying on the hood (with a soft glass cleaning towel under it, of course, very similar material to the cover itself), and I deliberately don't want the top to be as snug as it could be to avoid pressure on the wire...

Old 04-20-2016, 03:06 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

why cover a car that's in the garage? just curious.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:37 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
Dust, minor scuffs from wife and kids walking past with grocery bags, backpacks etc., I cover it after I wash (once it's dry) and only when I'm not going to be using it for a few days in a row at least. I don't think continual on/off with a cover is necessary or a good thing even, if you are driving the car regularly...
Old 04-20-2016, 08:49 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I cover mine too in the garage. That's what the covers for.
Old 04-20-2016, 09:57 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I use a car cover for winter storage too.
It's for those "DOH" moments.
I have also been know to drape a king size bed spread over the car too, as added bump protection.
Daily covering? Almost never.
Old 09-01-2016, 03:51 PM
P-Nuts
Racer

Due to a recent addition to my garage, 2017 Macan GTS, I will not be using my 997.1 as daily driver and it needs to move to a different part of the garage, which will make it more vulnerable to kids scuffing it.

So....would the OEM indoor or outdoor cover offer better protection? From the pictures it looks like the outdoor cover is thicker and more padded, and therefore offer better protection?

Advice please :-)

Thanks is advance.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:06 PM
CessnaDriver
Advanced

Originally Posted by P-Nuts
Due to a recent addition to my garage, 2017 Macan GTS, I will not be using my 997.1 as daily driver and it needs to move to a different part of the garage, which will make it more vulnerable to kids scuffing it.

So....would the OEM indoor or outdoor cover offer better protection? From the pictures it looks like the outdoor cover is thicker and more padded, and therefore offer better protection?

Advice please :-)

Thanks is advance.
I only have experience with the outdoor cover and like it a lot.

Quick Reply: 997 car cover