Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I looking for a rare car/color combo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 09:39 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

Be patient and don't give up. I think it is one of Einstein's lesser known theories of relativity that says the speed of time and used Porsche appearance gets faster the day after your purchase a used Porsche.
Old 04-09-2016, 12:58 PM
alz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
Isn't it true the car color combo you drool over only pops up after you make the purchase for the your number 2 or 3 option???

I think the hardest part in the whole purchasing process is the timing of when you are ready for a new ride and the patience of finding the right one in the color combo you want, combined with the stress of dealing with the PPI and history of the car...
This is exactly what I'm thinking myself and that I'll be kicking myself afterwards, so I've tried to be really patient but getting to that point now where I just want to buy - mainly due to the great spring weather.

One more challenge on the purchase process: flying to even just see the car; living in Seattle means that 99% of Porsches aren't everyone here drives Subarus
Old 04-09-2016, 04:04 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 170 Posts

This one is not an S but otherwise might be worth considering. No affiliation.

http://www.racperformance.com/2011-P...-75006/5730748
Old 04-09-2016, 04:11 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

op - just be patient keep checking sources ...there should be one out there

yes 7.2 are less in number than 7.1 by a good bit (given recession sales), but a white car w beige interior is not a unicorn
Old 04-09-2016, 09:05 PM
cerbomark
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...spd-coupe.html

Cream white/sea blue, coupe, MT, flawless condition, low mileage, all service done, still under CPO.
Old 04-09-2016, 09:11 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

OP...If it is a deal-breaker, must-have option do NOT compromise! Otherwise you'll have an ounce of regret in your dream car. And, you don't want that. I really, really, really wanted Guards Red over Beige, and I kept at it for 1+ year until my unicorn popped up...T
Old 04-10-2016, 01:35 AM
alz
Advanced

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
OP...If it is a deal-breaker, must-have option do NOT compromise! Otherwise you'll have an ounce of regret in your dream car. And, you don't want that. I really, really, really wanted Guards Red over Beige, and I kept at it for 1+ year until my unicorn popped up...T
1+ year... I've been at it about 5 months. Agree though, color is pretty critical for me (call me vain haha), if anything will go for a 997 C2 or a 991 but still White/Beige/Manual.

Street Rod: have my eye on that one too - holding out a bit longer for a C2S but otherwise that C2 fits the bill. There's one other C2 in the right color actually, seems like the "S" bit that's hardest to find.
Old 04-10-2016, 01:37 AM
alz
Advanced

Originally Posted by cerbomark
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/a...spd-coupe.html

Cream white/sea blue, coupe, MT, flawless condition, low mileage, all service done, still under CPO.
Thanks, beautiful car. Intent on Carrara White though
Old 04-10-2016, 02:35 AM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

When I was looking I felt like this one found me, about a half mile from my office.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Jastx; 04-10-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2016, 11:01 PM
alz
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jastx
When I was looking I felt like this one found me, about a half mile from my office.
Beautiful color combo and options. I love Center Tunnel painted exterior color (or whatever Porsche calls it)... Sporty but still luxurious. Great taste!
Old 04-10-2016, 11:59 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Be patient. Americans (and now even Germans) have been very conservative with their Porsche buying. Most stick to the traditional silver, followed closely by black and then white and lastly, red. The others are total aberrations. They are way down in the noise. (Those whites you refer to area CARRARA white--not CARRERA white.)

If you are patient they do pop up from time to tie. But you have to act quickly.

If you want to see something rare--the first time a 993 cabriolet and 997 cabriolet were in the same place--and in the same quite rare blue turquoise. How this came to be is another story in itself.
Attached Images  
Old 04-11-2016, 12:22 AM
Cream
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patience is a virtue. I am always looking, and when i finally found my ideal color combo, I had to pull the trigger, even in November. I had to have cream white (hard to find ) with a red or natural brown interior and ended up with a beautiful cream white over natural brown - it's grown on me so much, and I think a light color exterior with a lighter interior looks best - so I second your want for a white over tan combo.

The more you look and do research, the more particular you become. A good problem to have, I suppose..

Best of luck - the perfect car awaits..
Old 04-11-2016, 02:16 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cream,
My first 911 was a 1981 911SC in Chiffon White (cream). Loved that car and the newer version is really close.

After that is was White/Tan cars only.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:51 AM
Jaskfri
Pro

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

ALZ-Hang in there and be patient. You will know the right car when you see it online. Let the PPI be your local eyes as well as your professional inspection. If it checks out to your satisfaction fly/drive there for the final analysis. I got lucky and decided to buy a 997 with no preconceived notions of required color or options. I only knew I wanted a cab with a stick. The third car I saw online looked great at a fair price, checked out perfectly and has made me very happy for the last 6 months. I could not find a car that came close in that price ballpark and it had a good option list. I loved the exterior/interior/wheel combination. It felt right.
Good luck.

Last edited by Jaskfri; 04-11-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 10:45 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Be patient. Americans (and now even Germans) have been very conservative with their Porsche buying. Most stick to the traditional silver, followed closely by black and then white and lastly, red. The others are total aberrations. They are way down in the noise. (Those whites you refer to area CARRARA white--not CARRERA white.)

If you are patient they do pop up from time to tie. But you have to act quickly.

If you want to see something rare--the first time a 993 cabriolet and 997 cabriolet were in the same place--and in the same quite rare blue turquoise. How this came to be is another story in itself.
Looks like Twin Lakes just south of Mammoth Pass, Dan. What's the story?!

OP: while I firmly believe that patience is not a virtue, in the case of finding your Unicorn, it is helpful...good luck in the chase!

Quick Reply: Am I looking for a rare car/color combo?