Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how did you fix rattle and squeak?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 02:22 PM
rednerrus
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have some squeeking with light braking on neutral. My indy said my brake pads are still good, and it might just be brake dust. Anyone know how to get rid of this?
Old 12-05-2017, 04:28 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Mine was on the center console on the trip piece in front of the shifter. I found it by accident because the sound was bouncing off the passenger window leading me to think is was somewhere on the pass side. It helps to have a passenger help hunt it down while you drive.
Thanks! I remembered your post and dang if it wasn't in the middle right side of my center console bouncing off the window! I haven't figured out how to get rid of it but if I push hard it goes away. It has become really loud.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:04 AM
Vince993s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You stated: “I pried loose the cover going from front to back (from under the dash back to the shifter assembly). Once completely lose, I saw a piece of grey foam rubber (about 6"x1/2"x3/8") had become dislodged that normally serves as a buffer between these two plastic parts”.

I believe I may have the same problem with my 2006 C2S with 6 speed and Bose. I watched a couple of YouTube videos but didn’t see the foam piece that you describe. Is it between the top of the extention piece in front of the shifter and lower dash or below the extention piece? How long did it that you to make the repair? I have an injury that prevents me from having the dexterity to attempt this on my own, before I take it to someone I was wondering if you were able to confirm this as the source of the rattle before disassembling.

Thanks
Old 11-12-2018, 10:22 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just turn up the radio and go faster.
Old 11-12-2018, 06:16 PM
cannonball05
Racer

In all seriousness, I have a little rattle and I found where it is coming from. After reading this thread, it got me to look deeper. It is the sunroof when closed. When driving, it rattles on and off. I found that if I press the roof up a little with my hand the noise goes away. I need to look into how to dampen it. Maybe felt tape....
Old 11-12-2018, 06:32 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

Not so much a rattle, but I had a knocking sound when taking corners quickly. It sounded like a suspension knocking issues. Drove me nuts!!! I went to my mechanic and asked, " are you sure you guys tightened up my suspension properly!" He jumped in shotgun. I drove and got the noise to happen by doing some quick S turns. "there it is, that's it!!" I said. He opened the glove box and caught the "Kenny G Greatest hits" cd that was sliding back and forth in the glove box banging against the side wall. I looked at him... "Are you @#$% kidding me! That noise has been driving me crazy for weeks!" We laughed, and I gave him $100 bucks just to keep his mouth shut when we got back to the garage

ps.. just kidding about the Kenny G... I have not listened to him since the eighties... hahaha
Old 11-12-2018, 06:59 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Not so much a rattle, but I had a knocking sound when taking corners quickly. It sounded like a suspension knocking issues. Drove me nuts!!! I went to my mechanic and asked, " are you sure you guys tightened up my suspension properly!" He jumped in shotgun. I drove and got the noise to happen by doing some quick S turns. "there it is, that's it!!" I said. He opened the glove box and caught the "Kenny G Greatest hits" cd that was sliding back and forth in the glove box banging against the side wall. I looked at him... "Are you @#$% kidding me! That noise has been driving me crazy for weeks!" We laughed, and I gave him $100 bucks just to keep his mouth shut when we got back to the garage

ps.. just kidding about the Kenny G... I have not listened to him since the eighties... hahaha
Now that is hilarious! … but we all know you love Kenny G

Last edited by cannonball05; 11-12-2018 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Need to add to my response
Old 11-12-2018, 08:51 PM
Vince993s
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Cannonball, I recognize those cars, If you are with GT Performance, you have been servicing my 911s since 2003, fomerly black 993 C4S. You just did the inspection and service on my 997.1 C2S this past August. Thanks, other than the rattles, I love her! Now that I know you are following this rattle thread on Rennlist I will make the trip up there to have you guys figure it out for me.
Old 11-13-2018, 02:07 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jdgamble
Reviving and older one...

Captain - did you figure out a way to fix this? I think I have the same thing... Very annoying rattle over rough pavement that I think decreases when I put pressure on the shifter surround. It almost sounds like I have a bunch of loose change in my ashtray.

Thanks.

John
I slid a piece of double sided 3M tape under the bottom ledge of the shifter trim piece. Worked like a charm. But yea, this car throws sounds around the cockpit like a ventriloquist. Get a helper to press, pry and touch every panel while you drive. What you think is the left front might be the rear right.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:14 AM
cannonball05
Racer

Originally Posted by Vince993s
Hey Cannonball, I recognize those cars, If you are with GT Performance, you have been servicing my 911s since 2003, fomerly black 993 C4S. You just did the inspection and service on my 997.1 C2S this past August. Thanks, other than the rattles, I love her! Now that I know you are following this rattle thread on Rennlist I will make the trip up there to have you guys figure it out for me.
Hey Vince! You are correct. Those are GT Performance's cars. But I don't work there. They service my car as well. Gennady took that picture. They are awesome. I just had them do my 80K service and put in the IPD comp plenum and throttle body. I love that shop.

Last edited by cannonball05; 11-13-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-15-2018, 02:10 PM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

These cars are weird. It seems like no matter where the noise originates from, it always seems to be "heard" around the dash area passenger side. I almost always drive solo (no passenger to ask) and I can't count how many noises seem to be from the passenger side dash but turn out to originate from someplace totally different.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:34 PM
cannonball05
Racer

Originally Posted by halsyknox
These cars are weird. It seems like no matter where the noise originates from, it always seems to be "heard" around the dash area passenger side. I almost always drive solo (no passenger to ask) and I can't count how many noises seem to be from the passenger side dash but turn out to originate from someplace totally different.
Yep! I always thought my rattle was from the passenger side seatbelt area toward the upward support rail...then I realized it was from the sunroof. lol.
Old 11-20-2018, 01:46 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Agree about the cabin's ability to throw sounds all over the place. It's almost creepy.
Having someone (preferably small) ride in the back to help locate the source of the sound is VERY helpful. Have that person touch / cover / push on every accessible trim piece near the sound is the best first-line diagnosis IMHO. Use a cheap stethoscope if that fails.
I've used a few 'tricks' in addition to the normal felt / foam tape:
"Booger glue" - the clear stick stuff on the back every magazine subscription card / every such bit of junk mail. Great for jamming into the corner of gauge lenses or under small trim pieces. Especially where you'd prefer something invisible.
Sunroof / Targa roof - A thorough cleaning to remove both grit and that gummy 'lube' crap in the tracks. Get rid of that junk - alcohol and Q-tips required. Spray the mechanism with a marine drylube called McLube. 2nd choice Liquid Wrench Dry Lubricant. 3rd choice the spray WD40 DRY LUBE...not the regular stuff. Recommend getting rid of all that gummy / oily junk, including regular WD40. And never use spray silicone. It's a dirt magnet, only a matter of time before the problem returns. I wrote a DIY procedure quite a while ago. Search under 'Targa Roof Squeaks'. May be helpful for sunroof owners. There are several complex hard plastic parts (like the forward 'diffuser') often the source of rattles.
Dry Lube, general - this stuff is very useful when you can't access / determine an exact part that's guilty. i.e. Seatbelts, Latches or 'Tab'-type fittings on trim. These sometimes squeak if they've been removed a couple of times. But don't spray dry lube directly onto soft gasket-like material. And use with plenty of ventilation. Rattles usually requires foam tape. Squeaks are often solvable with spray. I always start there.

Quick Reply: how did you fix rattle and squeak?