Sponsored by:

Need advice on these choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 05:57 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm a bigger fan of newer is better, but you should definitely decide if the manual or PDK speaks to you. I also agree with another poster, if this is a dream car, no settling!

I took a year to find my unicorn with all of the must-have options and most of the nice-to-have options that I wanted. In the mean time, I test drove a bunch throughout the Porsche range to get a feel for what I wanted & a feel for how a normal 911 should handle and drive. In the end, things like S trim and red/beige became must haves, as did CPO and PDK, while things like walnut steering wheel were just too dang rare to keep hunting. In the end, I found (actually wife saw it first online, she was sick of listening to me so she also started hunting the car apps and sites!) 99% of what I wanted. And, every time I get in the car, I have a huge grin on my face. When I hit Sport Plus, it just gets bigger!

Good luck in the hunt, post pics when your hunt concludes.
T
Old 04-06-2016, 05:59 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Do you know the build date on the 2005?
Old 04-06-2016, 06:01 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hollywood1053
Do you know the build date on the 2005?
Nope..I can get it probably from car fax or ask a dealer to get me build sheet
Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
I'm a bigger fan of newer is better, but you should definitely decide if the manual or PDK speaks to you. I also agree with another poster, if this is a dream car, no settling!

I took a year to find my unicorn with all of the must-have options and most of the nice-to-have options that I wanted. In the mean time, I test drove a bunch throughout the Porsche range to get a feel for what I wanted & a feel for how a normal 911 should handle and drive. In the end, things like S trim and red/beige became must haves, as did CPO and PDK, while things like walnut steering wheel were just too dang rare to keep hunting. In the end, I found (actually wife saw it first online, she was sick of listening to me so she also started hunting the car apps and sites!) 99% of what I wanted. And, every time I get in the car, I have a huge grin on my face. When I hit Sport Plus, it just gets bigger!

Good luck in the hunt, post pics when your hunt concludes.
T
Well.. I decided that i def prefer PDK and CPO would be a plus, color wise black seal gray or dark blue, interior color doesn't matter, S vs. Base doesn't matter I know that there are dozens of cars in 50-55k range 997.2 with those options. I am still looking of course. I appreciate all the feedback, very helpful
Old 04-06-2016, 06:25 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

hands down I would buy this.... asking 60, offer 55 and meet someplace maybe...

9972s wide body c4s with PDK and those seats! with low miles... this car will retain value IMO.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ket-seats.html
Old 04-06-2016, 06:31 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Originally Posted by mickfluff

9972s wide body c4s with PDK and those seats! with low miles... this car will retain value IMO.

Awesome car, I'm not sure about the seats, look great but not practical for dd
Old 04-06-2016, 06:34 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
Awesome car, I'm not sure about the seats, look great but not practical for dd

Even better for you.... they fetch 6-8k and will sell swiftly then replace with other Porsche 997.2 seats that can likely be found for 2500 and pocket 5k... this car just became a lot cheaper. Think about the savings here... after seat swap out you could own this car for low 50K mark... and still have factory Porsche seats etc
Old 04-06-2016, 11:27 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 504 Likes on 277 Posts

The one with the manual transmission.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:39 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by McDonn3ll
Agree with the consensus that the '05 is overvalued, particularly if stock. '05 was known for higher risk of IMS relative to '06 and beyond for 997.1. While not high odds, this has to play into your thought process.

I had a similar decision to make recently and finally opted for 997.2 PDK over manual 997.1. It's my first two pedal sports car and I'm still happy with my choice.

They Cayman is a very different animal and is hard to compare, but is very clearly choose the '11 if deciding between the 911s.

If also highly recommend a PPI for any used vehicle outside of warranty.
2005 997S is the only year of the 997 that can be upgraded to an LN Engineering ceramic bearing without an engine teardown..something to think about.

None of these prices impress me though.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:46 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Para82
2005 997S is the only year of the 997 that can be upgraded to an LN Engineering ceramic bearing without an engine teardown..something to think about.

None of these prices impress me though.
Yeah, the more I thought about it I defenetily don't think 2005 is a good choice low miles or not. The price is just nuts. Waiting on the numbers for 2010 s coupe w pdk. 35k miles.The dealer said they gonna try to certify it to 100k. It's black on black fully loaded. They want 59k. If I get it for 55-57 I probably gonna go for it
Old 04-06-2016, 11:53 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Originally Posted by leon yagudayev
Yeah, the more I thought about it I defenetily don't think 2005 is a good choice low miles or not. The price is just nuts. Waiting on the numbers for 2010 s coupe w pdk. 35k miles.The dealer said they gonna try to certify it to 100k. It's black on black fully loaded. They want 59k. If I get it for 55-57 I probably gonna go for it
So rather a narrow body car with triple the miles for likely more money? Makes sense? The car I mentioned is asking 60, bet can be bought at 58.5 is a launch car wide body c4s and the fact u fear the seats for daily means you can save another 5k by selling them and adding a different set of seats. Now u would be into the car for 53.5. With left over money buy a 6 year warranty... The warranty the dealer offering likely a cpo which is great but done in 2 years so although up to 100k miles unlikely u will see anywhere near that before is up.
Personal preference but the grey on black IMO better then black on black...

The 05 isn't insanely over priced. Just by 5k or so IMO. And yes the fact it's an 05 means one can do a better and most complete ims upgrade....
Not suggesting the 05 but the c4s wide body 997.2 with low miles posted by a member here you really should consider.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:08 PM
leon yagudayev
Instructor

So rather a narrow body car with triple the miles for likely more money? Makes sense? The car I mentioned is asking 60, bet can be bought at 58.5 is a launch car wide body c4s and the fact u fear the seats for daily means you can save another 5k by selling them and adding a different set of seats. Now u would be into the car for 53.5. With left over money buy a 6 year warranty... The warranty the dealer offering likely a cpo which is great but done in 2 years so although up to 100k miles unlikely u will see anywhere near that before is up.
Personal preference but the grey on black IMO better then black on black...

The 05 isn't insanely over priced. Just by 5k or so IMO. And yes the fact it's an 05 means one can do a better and most complete ims upgrade....
Not suggesting the 05 but the c4s wide body 997.2 with low miles posted by a member here you really should consider.
I would consider it, except that I need to finance about half of the price and when u buy from a individual seller it's a hassle.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Perfect except it's 1st Gen PDK.
Old 04-07-2016, 02:33 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Just for some perspective I paid $51,000 USD for an 05 997S Launch edition (PCCB/full leather/PSE etc) with 10,038 miles almost 7 years ago. Granted that was during a major economic meltdown when the dealerships were offering 15% off msrp all 911 series.

Prices have come up quite a bit since then though. I've noticed 997 series seem to be commanding a higher price this year than 2014/15 also.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:02 PM
Cysco
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Buy the C4S linked above. "Launch cars" are amazing machines. (I love mine)

As pointed out, the seats will easily fetch 7-8k and you can easily source whatever other seats you want for 5k less than that. That would put your cost of entry to low $50's. that's a smoking deal for a widebody 997.2 S.

FWIW, I didn't think I'd like the seats in mine. My plan was to get the car and sell them. Then I spent a week driving around in them. They're epic. The most comfortable seats I've ever at in. Perfect driving position.

Bonus FWIW: owned a 2010 Cayman S PDK prior to my C4S. It's a fantastic car, but it's no 911. I personally wouldn't consider a Cayman if a 911 is within reach.

Join the 997.2 Launch car club!

Quick Reply: Need advice on these choices