Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 C2S PPI Results - Should i be worried?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 10:36 PM
iad
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, you should be worried...
Old 03-27-2016, 12:45 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 51 Posts

Run.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:18 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the car was flawless its an OK price. Not good, not bad......OK. It has issues and way too many black and grey 997's out there for sale.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:04 AM
shawkinguk
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the continued feedback fellas

Yes - this is my mission for my first Porsche

Trying to do my due diligence as per recommendations from the good people here on rennlist

Searching websites, cars, auto trader, fleabay, autolist
searching forum classifieds here and 6speed
searching bring a trailer

Trying to talk to sellers and get good maintenance records and then get a thorough PPI

This was my third PPI and i feel like its been bad luck on a couple, the other one the dealer (porsche dealer no less) just completely knowingly, or unknowingly (but most likely knowingly) completely misrepresented the vehicle and wasted my time and $200

This seemed like a decent deal from my searches
2008's with 60k miles are listed at least $45k neighborhood and this one had only 10k miles on a new engine

I take it from responses that better to keep looking than invest the 3k and fix the leak on this one?
Old 03-27-2016, 08:35 AM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally think it's a good price considering the low millage on the engine.

I also don't care so much about the dirty oil. It's an indication of what you see is what you get. Would you prefer the seller change the oil right before PPI so that you get a clean oil instead?

I think the owner is a typical relaxing guy, not a car nut. He prob changed the oil on Porsche schedule which resulted in dirty oil at 10k miles.

A little oil leak is no big deal. $40k is an OK deal. Not great but not bad.

The real question is why does the OP focus on this car? Is it about the price? For around $10k ($7k after the oil fix) more he for sure can get an 09 model with many more option. If $40k is all he can afford then maybe a 911 is not a correct move at this time. At the end he is still servicing a $100k sport car.

IMHO a 911 is more about status and back seats. The cayman handles better and is a much better value. None of these car are practical as the only car for a owner.

Here's the bottom line. If this is your only car then don't buy. If you already have a reliable car and this is a fun vehicle then go for it. The majority of Porsche owners have more than one cars.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:58 AM
Gripster
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 73 Posts

For that price you could get a decent 2009 997.2 if you're patient. I just sold one for not much more money and fewer miles. A base 997.2 is close to a 997.1S in terms of raw HP and the engines have been solid.

I would keep searching. Stand up guy or not, you don't want a shadow hanging over your first 911 experience.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:31 AM
11champs
Track Day

Go with your gut. If you thought it was an ok deal, you would have pulled the trigger on the deal. You are having second thoughts and trying to convince yourself it is ok. There are many deals out there. I would keep searching.

I feel your pain though. I just purchased my first Porsche and I tried to rationalize on a couple because I wanted one so badly. A friend of mine kept me grounded and I am glad he did.

Patience
Old 03-27-2016, 11:34 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Risky.
Pass.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:07 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

The hardest thing to say is NO when you have your heart set on something. You will never know how right or wrong you were until it's too late!!

I would pass on this car because of the neglected maintenance. Stand up or not, he doesn't car about the car at all to let it go the way it is. There will be more Pcars out there if you look and do what all have said...patience.

When I'm ready to "upgrade" my 07, I'm going to take my time and make a sound decision on what I want, how much I will pay and no waver from it. I didn't research a lot when I got my 07 5 years ago....I saw it was maintained, bought from dealer, and it's been rock solid since purchase. Just maintenance is all I have had to do except a broken syncro 2nd gear. 5k in that repair, but little things happen.

If you can get a 997.2, go for that...the DFI and updated interior is great.
Old 03-27-2016, 02:15 PM
hollywood1053
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I, too, would pass on this one.
Many better options for the same money.
Old 03-27-2016, 03:34 PM
shawkinguk
Track Day

Thanks Everybody - appreciate the feedback

I just want to make sure i should be passing on this car - and it sounds like i am doing the right thing to wait.

It has been 8 months already in the search, but i can keep looking - i want to make sure i do everything i can to get a good car, and the right car.

I know a lot of people here recommend the 997.2 (s) but i really like the first generation models - it speaks to me much more, i feel a greater connection with the car, and the sound of the 3.8 in the gen.1 S is fantastic.

If I'm going to go DFI, I'm going to go with a 991 - another car I'm actively searching (if i can find the build i want - which is proving difficult)

I really would like to find a 997.1 (ideally with aerokit) because i fell in love with every aspect of it the first time i drove it - and i think they look great, the struggle is finding one that is in good condition - and relatively close to East coast..

If anyone has any promising leads, or knows other places i should be searching please PM me

O.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

well said on all points.

Originally Posted by nk215
I personally think it's a good price considering the low millage on the engine.

I also don't care so much about the dirty oil. It's an indication of what you see is what you get. Would you prefer the seller change the oil right before PPI so that you get a clean oil instead?

I think the owner is a typical relaxing guy, not a car nut. He prob changed the oil on Porsche schedule which resulted in dirty oil at 10k miles.

A little oil leak is no big deal. $40k is an OK deal. Not great but not bad.

The real question is why does the OP focus on this car? Is it about the price? For around $10k ($7k after the oil fix) more he for sure can get an 09 model with many more option. If $40k is all he can afford then maybe a 911 is not a correct move at this time. At the end he is still servicing a $100k sport car.

IMHO a 911 is more about status and back seats. The cayman handles better and is a much better value. None of these car are practical as the only car for a owner.

Here's the bottom line. If this is your only car then don't buy. If you already have a reliable car and this is a fun vehicle then go for it. The majority of Porsche owners have more than one cars.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:45 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by shawkinguk

...... the struggle is finding one that is in good condition - and relatively close to East coast..
O.
Ditto.
I've been actively looking for 4 months and have seen some terrible cars. Almost pulled the trigger twice, but the result was not the car I wanted (e.g. wrong interior color, options, etc..). I've actually seen a slight bump in price this time of year and many sellers having an unreal expectation of the value of their car.

My search continues as well.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:37 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Originally Posted by shawkinguk
Thanks for the replies everyone

So numbers wise -

Price : 40,500

Carrera S
Prod date: 11/07
(Low spec)
Build sheet options:
Full black leather only

Does that influence anyone's opinion here?
It does me. I bought a 2010 S with 47k for not much more. If you look around you will fall into a "oh s%&t that's a deal" car.

Personally I never try and make any purchase a good deal. It shouldn't have to convince you.

You should hold out until you think "I need to drop everything I'm doing and call the bank"
Old 03-27-2016, 06:57 PM
shawkinguk
Track Day

Originally Posted by TM_Corey
It does me. I bought a 2010 S with 47k for not much more. If you look around you will fall into a "oh s%&t that's a deal" car.

Personally I never try and make any purchase a good deal. It shouldn't have to convince you.

You should hold out until you think "I need to drop everything I'm doing and call the bank"

Thats a good deal
where/how did you find that car?

the usual car sites?

Quick Reply: 997 C2S PPI Results - Should i be worried?