Sponsored by:

New Duck in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 02:19 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
OK....so essentially I'm on my own regarding the wire harness routing as Getty says you can drill holes here and there or route it on the back side, etc.

Not what I wanted to hear.....all advertisement does not indicate this is required, just transfer the fan, striker, and snubbers. I certainly assumed that if I purchased the wire harness that at least some routing info would be included.

No biggie...I'm an electrical engineer by trade and can figure out six wires.

Fitment is in process today so we'll see if there is more drama.
If you look at a standard decklid there are two holes in the middle of the decklid each with its own grommet that routes the wiring harness. Your wiring harness should have come with two grommets. If not, here is the part number as read directly from the grommet. I bought a new harness, fan, etc for my aerokit wing and catalogued every single part. Each grommet is exactly the same: 999.702.243.40.

So, I would not hesitate in the slightest to cut two holes that fit these grommets (id guess they were 35-40mm in diameter but you could check out your original decklid too) and run the wiring through the grommets since its the same solution for the standard decklid and aerokit decklid.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:04 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Yes, the grommets are there (997.622.670.70 harness).

I just don't want to drill two large (~35mm) holes in the deck to accommodate these grommets. I will have to drill one hole about 15mm to pass the branch that goes to the third brake light though. For the rest I think I just need to drill 3 or four 6mm holes that will accept the push type clamps, or remove the push clamps and epoxy zip tie holders.

So one 15mm hole plus epoxy zip tie clamps.....
Old 03-29-2016, 05:07 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Well the project has past the fit check stage....

The fit was near spot on...just a little tweak on the bottom of the tail. I figured out the wire harness so that's now OK. A new issue was the air intake hole would not accept the OEM part...it looked like the tail "added" the air intake right into the fiberglass. A quick email to Mark and he confirmed that it is indeed part of the tail, so no issue there. He did say that the installation drawings were not correct for the .1 in that respect.

So, paint tomorrow!
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2016, 11:38 PM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Fitment looks great on the car. Mark is actually going to send me a new tail due to the fitment issues I'm currently having. Hopefully the new one fits clean like yours. Looks good!

Side note, what rear CF diffuser is that on your car?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:44 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Oh my $8 CF diffuser? That would be vinyl wrap!

I've been looking for something reasonable that looks decent...aside from the FVD ($$$$$$) nothing is meeting the grade, so I vinyl wrapped in the garage and it has satisfied me so far, but I keep searching. You found anything?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:16 AM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Tail looks fantastic. I know you're excited to get it painted. Is fiberglass firm where you shut it down?

On my other car, this is a cavity that can be depressed with the lightest hand 'closing' pressure. Have thought of filling with expanding foam. Any flexing in yours?
Old 03-30-2016, 01:31 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Rock solid firm....no flex whatsoever.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:42 AM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Oh my $8 CF diffuser? That would be vinyl wrap!

I've been looking for something reasonable that looks decent...aside from the FVD ($$$$$$) nothing is meeting the grade, so I vinyl wrapped in the garage and it has satisfied me so far, but I keep searching. You found anything?
Nothing yet. I saw yours and thought you might have. $8 sounds pretty damn good though. Nice job.
Old 03-30-2016, 06:05 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

A couple more pictures from the buildup to paint.

Note on the backside of the tail engine compartment, the air inlet duct is part of the tail...no need to transfer the part from the OEM lid.

Also the picture shows the inside of the tail now painted black.

The tail is being painted as I type.
Attached Images   
Old 03-31-2016, 12:36 AM
nismosd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking very nice!! I'm picking mine up tomorrow from Getty with the harness also. Can you elaborate on the harness and what was the hardship and solution? any other tip would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-31-2016, 02:07 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nismosd
Looking very nice!! I'm picking mine up tomorrow from Getty with the harness also. Can you elaborate on the harness and what was the hardship and solution? any other tip would be greatly appreciated.
Do you have a .1 or .2?

Mine is a .1.....

To use the harness you have to drill two ~35mm holes for the pass through grommets and 4 ~6mm holes for the push clamps. I didn't want to drill any holes if possible and ended up only drill one 15mm hole to pass the third brake lamp branch of the harness from the back (engine side) of the tail to the cavity. I will epoxy the wire harness zip tie holders to the tail (engine side) to make it easy. The difference really is do you mind seeing the harness when you open the deck lid or not.

Since Getty did not supply any drawings on how to route the harness and do not even mention this in any literature is disappointing as well as the fact that the air intake on the tail is built in rather than what IS stated in the installation drawings.

But easy fixes...seems weird that in both cases when I asked Getty about these issues it was the first time anyone asked. They didn't even know their installation drawing depict a .2 and they have none specifically for the .1!

The most important thing is that the tail is high quality and fits near perfect. If I had to choose what would be spot on it would be the fit....the issues with the other stuff were small and easy to resolve.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 AM
nismosd
Instructor

I have a .2 and would rather have the harness concealed.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by nismosd
I have a .2 and would rather have the harness concealed.
Well the installation directions will fit your .2 better. As I said, no directions whatsoever on harness routing or where to drill the holes.

Count on spending another ~$200 at the body shop to drill/prep the tail. You most likely will have to point to where you want the holes drilled as I would believe the body shop wouldn't take the risk of drilling them in the wrong spot.

Or....try and get one of Getty's "recommended" shops to answer the phone. I tried the two that were relatively close to where I live for months prior to buying the tail and either never got a returned call, or they never answered the phone. But maybe the shops closer to you are actual businesses that need the business!

Good luck!
Old 03-31-2016, 10:54 PM
kanecs
Rennlist Member

Any way you could post up the directions that were included with the tail?
Old 04-01-2016, 12:42 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by kanecs
Any way you could post up the directions that were included with the tail?
They are posted on the Getty website.

Quick Reply: New Duck in SoCal