Sponsored by:

New Duck in SoCal

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 12:00 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts
Default New Duck in SoCal

Received my Getty Sport Duck Tail in FedEx today and dropped it off at the body shop on the way home....car goes in Monday for the deed to be done. By Friday it should be a done deal.

Just need to figure out the wire harness routing....I bought the harness from Getty but it's not apparent how it routes. I did purchase a new fan, light, striker, and snubbers so the stock lid can just be pulled off and stored....but the wire harness routing is a bit of a mystery! I'm sure the body shop will figure it out.

Yeah, yeah, pictures or it didn't happen.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:56 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

I can shoot you a picture on my harness tomorrow. Pretty much just one way to wire things up. You will have to take your car to a Porsche dealer or buy a Durametric to turn off the spoiler codes and third light codes in the ecu or you will get a spoiler failure warnings and or brake light errors in the instrument cluster. I was playing around with making a relay that simply plugged in between the factory plugs to eliminate the hassle and aid the ease of adding aftermarket rear spoilers but the factory pig tails are kinda pricy.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:06 AM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

I'm sort of surprised Getty is so light on installation directions when using their supplied harness....all help is greatly appreciated!

My Indy will fix the codes
Old 03-26-2016, 03:31 AM
drockzcity
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just be aware there may be potential fitment issues, small or big. I just got my tail in last Friday and took it in to the shop this week.

Came by the shop today because they said there were issues with pre-fitment. Turns out there's a 1/4 in. gap on the right side quarter panel and tail light all the way down and about 1/8 or more gap that is raised on the lower right hand corner. Basically protrudes past the bumper and tail light.

I also paid for the extra primer service. It's not the best. There are a lot of pin holes and fillers in the tail as well so you might also need to have it re-primered and sealed.

If the shop corrects all the issues it will be more that the tail alone in labor...

Trying to contact Mark at Getty to figure out a solution on an exchange/replacement. Hopefully its just this specific tail...

Not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up. Hopefully you won't have the same issues I'm currently having.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:17 AM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 122 Posts

Bad news in the fitment issue. Mine required no adjustments other than ensuring it was aligned properly. Also paid for primer service and it was almost flawless. Marks a stand up guy so hopefully this gets fixed quick. Post pics!!

Best

Matt

Originally Posted by drockzcity
Just be aware there may be potential fitment issues, small or big. I just got my tail in last Friday and took it in to the shop this week.

Came by the shop today because they said there were issues with pre-fitment. Turns out there's a 1/4 in. gap on the right side quarter panel and tail light all the way down and about 1/8 or more gap that is raised on the lower right hand corner. Basically protrudes past the bumper and tail light.

I also paid for the extra primer service. It's not the best. There are a lot of pin holes and fillers in the tail as well so you might also need to have it re-primered and sealed.

If the shop corrects all the issues it will be more that the tail alone in labor...

Trying to contact Mark at Getty to figure out a solution on an exchange/replacement. Hopefully its just this specific tail...

Not trying to scare you, just giving you a heads up. Hopefully you won't have the same issues I'm currently having.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:51 AM
Cysco
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine came primed as well. It wasn't up to the standards of my body shop (but would probably be acceptable by others) So they did another prime and sand to it.

Fitment of mine was pretty spot on. Only minor adjustments had to be made. The wiring harness is a tight fit. It's just barely long enough according to my shop.

Three additional comments about the Getty Wing.

1. Tell your shop to spray the inside of the wing black so you can't see the interior of the wing.
2. The grates that come with the wing are essentially overglorified chicken wire. I thought they were really ugly. Many of us bought black metal mesh in a different pattern instead of using the provided silver ones.
3. The big flaw I found with the wing was installing the grates. There's no provided solution for doing so. It is expected that you somehow try to epoxy them in. You'd think there would be tabs or something inside the thing to hold the grates in place. Nope. According to body shop it was a royal PITA to make it look good.

Enjoy the duck! It'll look great on your meteor gray car...

Old 03-26-2016, 04:41 PM
bmwfan328
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drockzcity

I have the identical issue. after endless hours of adjusting, still doesn't fit right. eventually said f*ck it and had it painted and put on, but it still bothers me everytime i walk past it and see it.

I honestly can't complain about Getty, though, as i never contacted them to tell them about my issue. hopefully your shop can work it out or Getty resolves it.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:53 PM
MkC2S
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't get it, why buy from Getty if everyone's having trouble with fitment. Are they the only seller that sells the ducky?
Old 03-26-2016, 06:36 PM
Cpiendl
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is in shop right now and no issues with fit. Had more issues with fit of gt3 style bumper just put on.
My body guy really good and he says everyone says direct fit but he has yet to see direct fit.
With my ducktail and bumper, my body guy put both in the paint booth and baked 4 times when doing other jobs(before even mounting). He said it would release stress points and prevent cracking and issues in future(they are Fiberglas).
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2016, 06:44 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Cpiendl can hardly wait to see how your car comes out. Are you going with different wheels not that anything is wrong with the wheel your have on now?
Old 03-26-2016, 06:45 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

The finish on the duck tail is pretty good according to my body guy....just a couple of small spots near edges that need a little work. Remember, Getty says straight up that even with their primer service the part is not paint ready. However their primer service does take a lot of prep work out, so it's worth the $160.

My issue (I think) is the routing of the wire harness. I bought the option with is a Porsche "made" harness, even has their part number on the sealed bag. I just don't see a hole that would fit the large grommet that is part of the harness which would feed it to the back side of the underside of the duck tail. Then there are two press fit harness holders that would fit into holes in the duck tail....but there are no holes for these.

The grates are an issue as there are no tabs to hold them....my guy says he will bend them at the corners 90 degrees and use epoxy to hold then in place. Seems a bit weird that there are no integral snap tabs that would take a pre-cut grate and viola!

I bought a new fan, air inlet, striker, snubbers, and light so that the stock lid just comes off and gets safely stored....no parts needed to be transferred.

We'll see early next week how the fit is and go from there...still very excited to have this duck.....I had been thinking a GT2 wing, but changed to the duck in the end.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

The finish on the duck tail is pretty good according to my body guy....just a couple of small spots near edges that need a little work. Remember, Getty says straight up that even with their primer service the part is not paint ready. However their primer service does take a lot of prep work out, so it's worth the $160.

My issue (I think) is the routing of the wire harness. I bought the option with is a Porsche "made" harness, even has their part number on the sealed bag. I just don't see a hole that would fit the large grommet that is part of the harness which would feed it to the back side or the underside of the duck tail. Then there are two press fit harness holders that would fit into holes in the duck tail....but there are no holes for these.

The grates are an issue as there are no tabs to hold them....my guy says he will bend them at the corners 90 degrees and use epoxy to hold then in place. Seems a bit weird that there are no integral snap tabs that would take a pre-cut grate and viola!

I bought a new fan, air inlet, striker, snubbers, and light so that the stock lid just comes off and gets safely stored....no parts needed to be transferred.

We'll see early next week how the fit is and go from there...still very excited to have this duck.....I had been thinking a GT2 wing, but changed to the duck in the end.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:10 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

I do not know if my duck tail is a Getty product or not as I got it used from a car featured on HREs website for their Vintage series wheels:http://www.hrewheels.com/gallery/por...n-satin-bronze. When I purchased it it fit very well with a bit more gap on the right (maybe a mm or two) than the left but it did come with just awful looking screen that was glued on with epoxy that even a 6 year old could have done a better job and some funky electronic box that has a Porsche part number on that corresponds so some kind of Turbo wing module control that I am still trying to figure out. I made little fiberglass mounts with bolt in them and epoxied them on the inner lip surrounding the intake openings and bolted some nicer grill covering I found on E-bay. Please find attached a couple of pictures along with a picture of the underside of the deck lid that shows the wiring for the most part. Cheers.
Attached Images       
Old 03-26-2016, 07:17 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Kuhl....looks very nice and thanks for the info.

Looks like the .2 is a bit different than a .1.

I've written a question to Mark at Getty....lets see what he says.

It's probably not a big deal as I have not read anyone having this perceived issue. I mean, it's from a mold that Getty has been using for years!

This is a case of having a unicorn is not a good thing!
Old 03-28-2016, 12:20 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

OK....so essentially I'm on my own regarding the wire harness routing as Getty says you can drill holes here and there or route it on the back side, etc.

Not what I wanted to hear.....all advertisement does not indicate this is required, just transfer the fan, striker, and snubbers. I certainly assumed that if I purchased the wire harness that at least some routing info would be included.

No biggie...I'm an electrical engineer by trade and can figure out six wires.

Fitment is in process today so we'll see if there is more drama.

Quick Reply: New Duck in SoCal