Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK launch control feature...have you used it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 08:22 PM
Cloudspin
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Never used it on the C2S and doubt I will on the GTS. Not afraid of breaking anything. I wouldn't do Sebring track events if I was. Did do it several times in a Turbo S at PSDS at Barber. Trying to keep the right foot flat to the floor through Bishop Bend is a bigger challenge and thrill for me but then again, I'm old.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:43 PM
ChristianR
Three Wheelin'

Received 140 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by orange260z
I haven't tried it yet because.... I'm scared.

Not because of crazy power or anything, but I don't like that there is no visual confirmation that you are in "launch control mode" before flooring the gas pedal.. I have nightmares of just sending it straight to the rev limiter because I didn't do something right to engage LC.

And oddly enough, I've never really been worried about bouncing off the rev limiters in cars other than the 997.2 - likely my concern has been driven by all this focus on the forums on DME over-rev reports and the such. As far as I've always been viewed it, with a rev limiter the only way to break the motor from over-revs is a Money$hift, which shouldn't be possible with a PDK!

So the moral of the story is that I should overcome my fears and launch the f%^&*k out of this car! (at least once)
no visual, you lost me. hold the brake to the floor, than floor the gas to the floor and do not let up, 2-3 seconds later it comes up on dash, LAUNCH, drop your foot off brake and ket her rip, do not raise foot off gas
Old 05-09-2016, 08:54 PM
TM_Corey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChristianR
no visual, you lost me. hold the brake to the floor, than floor the gas to the floor and do not let up, 2-3 seconds later it comes up on dash, LAUNCH, drop your foot off brake and ket her rip, do not raise foot off gas
Damn you guys are a bad influence!!! I'm ready, if it ever stops raining in Indiana.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:36 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

This topic has come up before. I have done it a couple of times with success, after screwing it up a couple times. It is unnerving to floor the accelerator on such an expensive car and once it starts moving, it's easy to chicken out and lift off of the throttle.

My biggest problem is the fear of Johnny Law. The launch doesn't last very long when you lift at 65 or 70 mph because you're afraid of getting a ticket.

Of course, the acceleration isn't nearly as exciting once you've ridden in a P90D with the Ludicrous Speed option. That's like falling off of a cliff--actually faster, for the first couple of seconds.
Old 05-10-2016, 04:56 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 207 Likes on 141 Posts

I havent yet on the GTS. I might not at all. I have a faster car than this (built TTRS) which I also havent launched. Just never had the urge. But I may give it a try just for novelty at some point.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:23 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, my GTS had it. All I can say is wow...be prepared for the blood to drain from your head (as advised earlier - do keep your head planted on the headrest before you launch) and prepare for your vision to blur.

Only other tip I can add is keep the car in auto mode "D" the first (and 2nd) time you do it, because the tach spins up so fast in 1st and 2nd you'll hit the limiter before you can think to shift.

In the old'n days guys used to tape a $10 bill to the dash of their big block corvettes and let you keep it if you could manage to get to it against the G's during launch. I'm guessing that given inflation over the past 40 years or so, you could do it with a $100 bill today with your LC equipped GTS or Turbo and still keep your money.

There is little practical use for the feature, but when you want it, there is really nothing like it. Just remember, put your head back and do it with the shifter in "D"

Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 AM
Bomar Shelby
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm with ChristianR and Iceter I'm new to my car ( c4s ) and scared but I'm more scared of Johnny Law, well that and those youtube videos of Corvettes and Ferraris launching and crashing. Where is a good place to do this?
Old 05-11-2016, 11:45 AM
ahmed1000
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried it one or twice in my 997.2 C4S (with Carrera S Power Kit) and was decidedly underwhelmed. Not sure whether it was due to the smooth power delivery, but it just didn't feel like it was hitting 60 in 4 ish seconds. Had a go in a friends 991 Turbo.........completely different story.......now that feels like being fired from a cannon!
Old 05-11-2016, 11:54 AM
goin2drt
Banned

Received 740 Likes on 403 Posts

It is a blast and everyone should try it. Watch the video of the 50 launches in a row. It is basically like a roller coaster getting blasted out of the shoot. Car is totally stable.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:07 AM
db997turbo
3rd Gear

Default Launch control

Hi all
The question is in what rpm it should be or just hit the pedal all the way till the end?
Old 05-12-2016, 07:16 AM
ru'
Instructor

Mash the pedal and it sorts it all out

Quick Reply: PDK launch control feature...have you used it?