Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modern "Sports Purpose" Fantasy Build

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016 | 05:43 PM
jglaze
Racer

Default Modern "Sports Purpose" Fantasy Build

I haven't had the car for 4 months yet and I'm already making my little tweaks and modifications--no surprises there--but it occurred to me the other day that I do have more ambitions modifications in mind, but which will probably occur over time. Similar to the way people think about how they'd spend Powerball winnings, I thought it might be interesting to put together a fantasy build for my modern interpretation of the original R and "sports purpose" builds from the late 60s early 70s.

This will be a street/track car, so lightness and performance should blend with usability. I'm still early in considering the concept, so I haven't picked out brands or particular parts in many places, but I'm curious to know what folks think...

Suspension
  • PASM, stock - replace with Bilstein damptronic when stock worn out
  • DSC Controller
  • Lowering springs
  • Sways/links
Engine
  • Mufflers/High-flow cats (headers TBD)
  • Engine Mgmt
  • Lighter flywheel/comp clutch
  • Semi-solid engine mounts
  • IPD plenum....eh? (keeping stock airbox with higher flow filter)
Brakes
  • SS brake lines
Cooling
  • Third radiator
Aero TBD - I kinda like the look without the aero bits
  • Ducktail
  • Front lip
Interior
  • CAE ultra shifter
  • Fixed back buckets
  • Deletion of some interior bits
Wheels
Fuchs just seem too obvious and despite being an "R" tribute, they aren't of the 997s era, so I was thinking BBS RS-GTs

A little paint (evocative of the Martini RSRs), and...

It's all academic at this point, but still fun to think about on a slow Friday afternoon.
Old 03-18-2016 | 06:59 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

That 's a fun Friday thought project.

1. The Bilsteins might give you a harsher ride on the street. What is the performance gain versus possible harsher ride?

2. If you do a flash it might be nice to have included software that lets you revert to the original set-up - just in case.

3. The plenum is a hot button topic. Some like it, many think it is all hype. Been discussed here to death. I'd probably put the money somewhere else (but that's me)

4. SS brake lines seem like a good idea, but other than peace of mind what do you gain (or lose if they are lighter than OEM). I guess if it is a DIY project, and gives you comfort, great!

5. I have no idea how much a third radiator would help. There were threads discussing replacement of the OEM thermostat though that people seemed to think was a positive modification.

6. The CAE shifter you'll love. I have an OEM short shifter and itbis great. Look at the numbers and the throw does not seem that much shorter but once you get used to it you'll wonder why this wasn't the first thing you did!

7. Fixed bucket seats, as in Sports Buckets? This I know something about (as I have them). They are stupendous for the track! For not track, less so. There is very little adjustment (only fore-aft) so you basically have to fit the seats. They are thin without much padding so comfort is not what you are going to experience. If you are not somewhat limber getting in and out may be a hassle. For me I am freakishly flexible so they are not a problem. Insofar as comfort, well, I put in 10 to 15 thousand miles a year on a road bike so any car seat, even if it is a couple of 2x4s with a piece of plywood in-between is comfortable. Seriously though, for me 2.5 to 3 hours at a time before my back starts to ache. A few minutes or so of stopping, stretching and I am good to go for another few hours. (Oh, 5'9" and 165 pounds.)

8. Finally, the picture at the bottom, don't take this wrong way, and it is just my opinion, but that red trim makes the car look either like it has a cold or is an alcoholic with a very red nose!

Old 03-19-2016 | 10:21 AM
Thedips
Racer

Whatever you decide on, keep that color scheme . Looks awesome
Old 03-19-2016 | 12:26 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

That's a good build list. What car are you starting with? I say skip the plenum but if you do get it also upgrade your TB.

For suspension add rear adjustable toe links and front adjustable LCAs. Bilstein Damptronic will not make your ride any harsher or softer than you set it (theya re adjustable after all). They can replicate stock dampening levels just fine. Plus, if you have the DSC controller you can customize the setup as you wish even more. There are better options than Bilstein but that's a good less expensive, adjustable, alternative to OEM.

Skip the SS brake lines. But add a more aggressive pad and upgrade eventually to Turbo/GT3 6 pot calipers in front.

No opinion on color scheme here. Do what you like.
Old 03-19-2016 | 01:24 PM
jglaze
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
That's a good build list. What car are you starting with? I say skip the plenum but if you do get it also upgrade your TB.

For suspension add rear adjustable toe links and front adjustable LCAs. Bilstein Damptronic will not make your ride any harsher or softer than you set it (theya re adjustable after all). They can replicate stock dampening levels just fine. Plus, if you have the DSC controller you can customize the setup as you wish even more. There are better options than Bilstein but that's a good less expensive, adjustable, alternative to OEM.

Skip the SS brake lines. But add a more aggressive pad and upgrade eventually to Turbo/GT3 6 pot calipers in front.

No opinion on color scheme here. Do what you like.
The base is a '06 S. I agree re: the plenum, out of all the "performance" upgrades, it seems the most questionable. Though I'm under no illusion that there's a whole lot of HP/$ to be extracted from the engine, replacing the exhaust should shed a decent amount of weight from the rear.

I've heard good things about Damptronic relative to stock PASM, though DSC controller is definitely on my short list no matter which direction I head otherwise.

I am curious about the SS lines though - I've heard that they do add a more direct pedal feel than stock and are helpful for track driving. I've upgraded the lines on my previous track cars, though all those had much more humble starts in road car guise.

As for the color, I'm on the fence about where to go with that, but I've always been a fan of the early long hood racing cars. It sure isn't subtle, but if it makes me smile, why not?

Old 03-20-2016 | 01:00 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Seems like your spending a lot of money with little to no performance increase and what is up with the color scheme?

Never seen a car where the front bumper is totally a different color other than some Honda aftermarket kit that isn't painted or someone just went to the junk yard and got whatever fits.

I have been lusting all over the 911R 991 ever since it was introduced a couple weeks ago. Have thought about using some of its styling cues. Old school badges (matte black PORSCHE and Matte black 70s 911S) and will be lowered, looking into an aerokit front bumper and possibly the old school side PORSCHE decal in reverse (my car is guards red). If I really had the guts, I'd do the red stripes you see on the 991 in white on my car, but I wont.

Last edited by rodH; 03-20-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2016 | 01:12 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Forgot to add this. Always been a fan of the low aggressive front end with no rear wing (no lip on this car). This is my 350z from 2003.

Old 03-20-2016 | 01:32 AM
ehuggins
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodH
Seems like your spending a lot of money with little to no performance increase and what is up with the color scheme?

Never seen a car where the front bumper is totally a different color other than some Honda aftermarket kit that isn't painted or someone just went to the junk yard and got whatever fits.

I have been lusting all over the 911R 991 ever since it was introduced a couple weeks ago. Have thought about using some of its styling cues. Old school badges (matte black PORSCHE and Matte black 70s 911S) and will be lowered, looking into an aerokit front bumper and possibly the old school side PORSCHE decal in reverse (my car is guards red). If I really had the guts, I'd do the red stripes you see on the 991 in white on my car, but I wont.

I agree completely. For the red car I'd do the hood stripes in gray and door stripes in gray and black.
Old 03-20-2016 | 03:41 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehuggins
I agree completely. For the red car I'd do the hood stripes in gray and door stripes in gray and black.
Was kind of thinking side stripes in black (match the rear badging) with white PORSCHE lettering, but perhaps grey with white lettering would be better.

not sure I would ever have the ***** to do the hood stripes (I don't like too much attention), but if I did, I would think the white would look very sporty white grey might look a little muted.
Old 03-20-2016 | 03:06 PM
jglaze
Racer

We're defining "performance" differently here. There's not much you can add to the N/A engine in terms of HP without spending gobs of money. They money spent here is primarily in the interest of weight savings over stock and handling tune-ability for the track. As for the color, I was limited in terms of applying customization to an online program...no photoshop. Regardless, the color scheme is evocative of early 911 Rs and RSRs...it's love it or hate it I know, but I kinda like the concept, though clearly not final. Not to mention the 991 R you're referencing is a nearly direct lift from the original 1967 R.
Old 03-20-2016 | 03:40 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Ya, but the early cars had a much different bumper fitment so the visual effect wasn't the same, but if you like it.

I guess I was defining performance as increases in HP and breaking. Your more or less "tweaking" or what I call in my little karting world as "setting up" to your preference (feel) the car to your liking.

Originally Posted by jglaze
We're defining "performance" differently here. There's not much you can add to the N/A engine in terms of HP without spending gobs of money. They money spent here is primarily in the interest of weight savings over stock and handling tune-ability for the track. As for the color, I was limited in terms of applying customization to an online program...no photoshop. Regardless, the color scheme is evocative of early 911 Rs and RSRs...it's love it or hate it I know, but I kinda like the concept, though clearly not final. Not to mention the 991 R you're referencing is a nearly direct lift from the original 1967 R.
Old 03-20-2016 | 04:29 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Magnus did something similar. Do what you like. Ignore the rest.
Name:  photo786.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  829.4 KB

Name:  photo210.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  1.04 MB
Old 03-20-2016 | 05:06 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Magnus did something similar. Do what you like. Ignore the rest.
I never ever understand why people say this when someone posts In a forum and clearly asks for OPINIONS.

Just for review here was part of the initial post...

...but I'm curious to know what folks think...
Old 03-20-2016 | 09:25 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I never ever understand why people say this when someone posts In a forum and clearly asks for OPINIONS.

Just for review here was part of the initial post...
I never understand why people are passive aggressive.

I gave advise about his objective technical bits and my opinion on his subjective 'looks' portion was for him to not worry about other's opinions in that dept.

Anything constructive to add?
Old 03-20-2016 | 11:22 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

I love the image of the car you posted, nice work! Did you use Forza?

Quick Reply: Modern "Sports Purpose" Fantasy Build