Quick story after winter revival

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Quick story after winter revival

TL;DR
Took car out of storage and fixed a busted PCM and decklid in about 30 minutes.

So I took the GTS out of storage Wednesday night and at first ran into some trouble which later was righted through perseverance and ingenuity... also you guys.

After removing the cover, I installed my Aerokit front lip and finished installing the Aerokit decklid and wing... all OEM... pics to come soon.

The decklid attaches with four bolts and one was not seating in the threads which means the lid would shake and move around when driving.. everyone on RL knows that if your aero is not properly balanced and secured you could take off into the air without notice. I didn't have FAA clearance and wanted to avoid that. I figured the threads on the nut must be stripped since the bolt came out of the original decklid not two minutes ago. The bolt must be fine, right? So I pull up the Amazon app and order a 6mm helicoil kit. Nothing I could do right then so on goes the show.

The cover was stored and tire pressures dropped from 50 to normal.

It started on the first crank and purred until *POP*.. out goes the PCM. Everything else is fine but no more Katy Perry or outdated turn-by-turn directions for me. I pull up the RL app, search and see from some of you it probably is either a fuse on the panel or fuse on the PCM. Sure enough after checking the fuse panel, the 15 amp PCM fuse is kaput and the 30 amp BOSE amp fuse is kaput.

To compound the annoyance, the forecast called for clear skies all day. I pull out of the garage and it downpours. Turns out there was ONE cloud in the sky over the loop that evening and it decided to **** itself only within a one square mile area downtown. So I sit in traffic the five blocks to Ace hardware and pick up a 15 amp fuse. I decided to pick up a 6mm flange bolt (the same one that connects the wing) for the hell of it in case by some twist of fate it happened to be the bolt. They didn't have a 30 amp maxi fuse, but the body shop down the block did and gave it to me for free. Nice folks there at LaSalle Auto Body.

I get it to my garage and pop in the new fuses. I've never been so excited to hear KISS FM in my life. It didn't blow again so for now I'll just chalk it up to a case of performance anxiety. Not caring at all that Pitbull is deafening anyone within a 30 ft radius (also worldwide) I pop the decklid, head back to the wing with my spanner and sure as **** that new bolt secures itself like the fork in the hand of a fat girl at IHOP. Hans in Stuttgart must have been in a rush back on that day in 2011 or too much Hefeweizen.

The wing is secure, I'm secure in my lust for Katy Perry, all is well in the Kingdom.
Hitting the road to Wisco today with a car wash and some pics to follow.

Cheers!
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

Great news and successful recovery. I like the style of writing.....

Yves
Old 03-18-2016, 05:02 PM
turbo3.6
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great stuff, nwGTS. Still a little to early for me to pull the cover off... maybe when I get back from FL in two weeks...
Old 03-18-2016, 08:44 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

One pic at a buddy's house today for NCAA action.

Name:  photo757.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  1.05 MB
Old 03-18-2016, 11:20 PM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
One pic at a buddy's house today for NCAA action.

Attachment 1032035
Looks great! When are you goin to lower it?
Old 03-19-2016, 02:28 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

RIGHT NOW!!!

Old 03-19-2016, 04:08 AM
Supermode
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

RIGHT NOW!!!

Lol nice
Old 03-19-2016, 04:11 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

RIGHT NOW!!!

Genius! Which springs did you use? Jk. Car looks great! Love the black centers on your five lug (not center locks!) Carrera sport wheels.

Quick Reply: Quick story after winter revival