bommerts
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you ever get an answer to this?
Old 03-16-2016, 03:01 PM
PVP997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the Bose with a Kenwood head unit, Hertz amp, and Hertz speakers. The speakers they put in the door are 6.5" and 3".

Here's a link http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-a...energy-hsk163/

I still have the old speakers and measured them. The bass is 7.5" and the mid 3". Hope this helps
Old 03-16-2016, 03:30 PM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by PVP997
I replaced the Bose with a Kenwood head unit, Hertz amp, and Hertz speakers. The speakers they put in the door are 6.5" and 3".

Here's a link http://www.hertzaudiovideo.com/car-a...energy-hsk163/

I still have the old speakers and measured them. The bass is 7.5" and the mid 3". Hope this helps
That does help, thank you.

It would be helpful to compare this to non-bose speaker sizes also, if anyone has them.
Old 03-17-2016, 01:26 AM
powderzone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Morel speakers installed. 6" and 4". Far better range than the Bose. Huge improvement.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:56 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by bommerts
That does help, thank you.

It would be helpful to compare this to non-bose speaker sizes also, if anyone has them.
What are you trying to do?
OEM speakers would be mounted in a space frame anyway. Perhaps you're more interested in the cutout size and the maximum mounting depth?
Old 03-17-2016, 10:01 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Here is everything you need to know:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...2-15-a-31.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-speakers.html

I swapped all speakers (except) center dash, with Focal units. Given the way the structures are inside the Porsche doors and other mounts, you will need to have a Dremel, glues, and tenacity. The verdict? Feh.... honestly, not worth the effort unless you love a project. The real evil in our systems is not the speakers but the Bose head unit. We tend to think of the speakers as the most important part of making sound but it is not.

I heard a 997.2, same as mine with original Bose speakers but they swapped out the whole head unit for an Alpine. Wow!!! Now that was worth it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-17-2016, 10:24 AM
PVP997
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kenwood Head Unit, Hertz Amp and Speakers

IMHO, the OEM Bose system sounded muddy and did not have a lot of separation. Frequency response was poor with too much bass and a total loss of highs. Did a complete swap of double DIN head unit, amp (in CD player space), and speakers. The install looks factory. What a difference. Crisp sound and balanced frequency response. If you like hearing tunes with the top down this is the definitely the way to go.

Additional benefit was the technology update to the car. Modern navigation, blue tooth, and iPod interface. This upgrade addressed my biggest criticism of the car, darn near perfect now.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:27 AM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
What are you trying to do?
OEM speakers would be mounted in a space frame anyway. Perhaps you're more interested in the cutout size and the maximum mounting depth?
This, exactly!

I am looking to install an aftermarket head unit and aftermarket speakers.

I currently have the non-bose PCM system.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:30 AM
bommerts
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Here is everything you need to know:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...2-15-a-31.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-speakers.html

I swapped all speakers (except) center dash, with Focal units. Given the way the structures are inside the Porsche doors and other mounts, you will need to have a Dremel, glues, and tenacity. The verdict? Feh.... honestly, not worth the effort unless you love a project. The real evil in our systems is not the speakers but the Bose head unit. We tend to think of the speakers as the most important part of making sound but it is not.

I heard a 997.2, same as mine with original Bose speakers but they swapped out the whole head unit for an Alpine. Wow!!! Now that was worth it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Super helpful, thank you. For now I may just swap the head unit. Simple since I have the non-bose system.
Old 03-17-2016, 10:46 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 859 Posts

Super helpful, thank you. For now I may just swap the head unit. Simple since I have the non-bose system.
IMO, swapping the head unit is far more important for good sound than swapping speakers alone. I did this, swapped just the speakers and it was a big project for little gain. I made a mistake.

The reason I have not swapped the head unit is to preserve the 5.1 surround capabilities of the Bose unit. I am not talking about that crappy simulated, awfulness that the unit can "do". I am talking about real 5.1 DVD Audio. I have a pretty good collection and they are nice to hear (Queen Night at the Opera is just WOW). But lately, I am thinking about pitching this and just replacing the head unit. The benefits I heard from the Alpine unit with the stock Bose speakers was just too good to overlook.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 03-19-2016, 06:22 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

You should do this anyway, just to get a modern touchscreen and navigation. Definitely check out the units with Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (if you haven't already).

I have a different opinion on the sonic benefits of replacing the HU. Modern OEM head units, including the PCM, have extremely flat frequency response, low distortion, and low noise. I really doubt that the incremental benefit of an aftermarket HU would be audible, particular through factory loudspeakers. The one exception is if your HU has an "autoEQ" feature that corrects your cabin response with a mic or there was some expert equalization done.

On the other hand, the frequency response linearity of loudspeakers will vary wildly. And in a car, this response is very dependent on crossover settings and mounting location/orientation. So, it depends on what you're doing for. If you want the "Stereophile Class A" sound, then you would want to consider: a) premium component speakers, b) a thoughtful installation, and c) DSP equalization (including time alignment and cabin response correction). Not to mention a subwoofer.

I posted details of my install here if you need ideas
http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...osh-focal.html

BTW, I measured my OEM Bose driver, and the cutout diameter is about 8.5" (+/-)

Last edited by gasongasoff; 03-19-2016 at 06:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Non BOSE door speaker size