Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would it be a mistake to add a PDK to the stable for longterm ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016 | 11:02 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
That's a fair question with no way to find the answer. All anyone has is anecdotal info because PAG sure isn't sharing that information. I heard from my sales guy that early versions had some hiccups and the policy was to replace, no questions asked. Who knows the degree of truth though? In the end, you research, agonize, then ya' roll the dice and take yer' chances. Just like buying a toaster (albeit an expensive one) with thousands of moving parts - I guess
I can testify to the fact that there are variations to the "no questions asked" replacement policy for early PDK cars. The PDK on my -09 C4S crapped due to some kind of electronic issue per the fault codes. That's all the dealership was able to gather. My extended warranty company battled PCNA for some time but ended up eating the $14,000 replacement cost. Maybe PCNA would have been more accommodating if I had been out of warranty but I kind of doubt it given how many IMS failure goodwill stories we've read about here.
Old 03-17-2016 | 11:20 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Originally Posted by Para82
There is no need to do that as manual transmissions are in much higher demand. Just look at the price of the new 911R (A GT3 with a manual trans) - they're going for 500,000 USD.

The Ferrari F430 6 speed now sells for about $200,000 - the F1 auto version sells for about $110,000.

The same price differences are apparent in just about every vehicle.
Apples to oranges. You are citing low production cars. I hate to burst your (manual) bubble but Porsche sold over 40,000 997.1 cars in the USA and a large portion of those were manual. The take rate for manuals did not decrease greatly until the PDK came out. A manual 997.1, while a nice car, is nowhere near a rare car. I would imagine that a manual 997.1 would be easier to sell since the alternative was a tiptronic but the difference is likely $2-3k between the tip and the manual instead of close to 100k for the 430. Also, $110k for a 430 is going to get you a high mileage and likely stories car. So, continue posting your propaganda. Perhaps you will get an extra $1k at selling time for your efforts!!!!
Old 03-18-2016 | 01:16 AM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
There is no need to do that as manual transmissions are in much higher demand.
Ahh yes, clearly that's the reason why my local BMW dealer has nothing but automatic 3-series' in stock. The sticks are just flying off the lots!

Nobody is actually going to drive the 911R. It's a limited production one-off for rich car collectors.
Old 03-18-2016 | 01:57 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by andy92782
Ahh yes, clearly that's the reason why my local BMW dealer has nothing but automatic 3-series' in stock. The sticks are just flying off the lots!

Nobody is actually going to drive the 911R. It's a limited production one-off for rich car collectors.
Neat story about your BMW dealer but we're talking about sports cars not German rentals.

I Appreciate the insight from PDK owners - 90,000 miles with no issues is outstanding and it sounds like it's up for heavy track use.
Old 03-18-2016 | 10:00 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Philster
Someone's been collecting failure and other stories:

http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-o...data-here.html

That's an interesting read. Really. But it is not intrinsically helpful because it is a classic definition of Sampling Error. That would be erroneously drawing conclusions about a population based on a non-representative sample of said population.

Quick Reply: Would it be a mistake to add a PDK to the stable for longterm ownership?