Sponsored by:

Pdk slow

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 03:04 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Pdk slow

Anyone have 2 Porsches with pdks? I have a16 macan and an 09 911. The pdk in the macan is awesome. Instant down or up shift with the paddle. The 911s pdk has a pause before it shifts. Not bad. More like a regular automatic transmission. Anyone else notice this?
Old 03-05-2016, 03:32 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

09 1st gen pdk has some lag, especially in normal mode
need to put it sport mode for better response
first gen pdk car MUST have Sport Chrono option to feel like a real sports car... in normal mode it is programmed to save gas, short shift and overall it emasculates the driving experience (regular 'sport' mode, not 'sport plus' should really be 'normal' mode)
Old 03-05-2016, 03:39 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

See if you can get sport software added and/or basic software update.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:09 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,011 Likes on 719 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
Anyone have 2 Porsches with pdks? I have a16 macan and an 09 911. The pdk in the macan is awesome. Instant down or up shift with the paddle. The 911s pdk has a pause before it shifts. Not bad. More like a regular automatic transmission. Anyone else notice this?
Does your 911 have sport chrono?
Old 03-05-2016, 06:37 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

No.
No sport chrono.
No sport button

But even in manual mode there is much more of a lag than on the Macan.
Old 03-05-2016, 06:45 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

check tuners like cobb, softronic, fvd... am sure they have solution to give you sport mode response on a non chrono equipped 7.2 pdk car
Old 03-05-2016, 09:01 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

No.
No sport chrono.
No sport button

Oh yeah, that's your problem. My PDK is undrivable with SC off. It's worse than a Camry.
Not sure if shifts themselves occur faster or not without SC, but I bet they do (or feel that way). The Macan probably has a gen 2 PDK, but the 997 PDK should still be much faster than a manual shift.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:05 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No.
No sport chrono.
No sport button

I had a GTI, and within one year, it go two factory software updates that completely changed the dual-clutch action.

I know that factory software updates are out there (ok, maybe not 'know', but highly suspect)... and surely there are aftermarket tuners who can do much the same.

But you can get the latest sport software / chrono software from Porsche, too.

Old 03-06-2016, 01:13 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,011 Likes on 719 Posts

No.
No sport chrono.
No sport button

With that you have a legitimate complaint. Porsche's marketing types should hang their heads in shame for selling PDK cars in that configuration. It's that bad but it can be fixed for about $1K.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:13 AM
Ten Years
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
With that you have a legitimate complaint. Porsche's marketing types should hang their heads in shame for selling PDK cars in that configuration. It's that bad but it can be fixed for about $1K.

Absolutely, this. You're not even close to accessing your car's true potential without Sport Chrono+. I agree with others that Sport mode really should be the default, with Sport Plus being the more aggressive setting.

This is what you need, to fully experience your car, as intended:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/9X7SM.html
Old 03-06-2016, 02:21 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 178 Likes on 98 Posts

The PO of my C4S added this from suncoast as the car was not factory equipped with SC.

If he didn't add it, I would have ! I use it at least 50% of the time.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:48 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Gonna look into that. Thanks. For some reason I thought you had to have PASM to get that.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 430 Likes on 173 Posts

Hopefully this can also help as I have driven a 16 Macan Turbo and also have some other good points of reference: (caution; lots of comparisons ahead - hope it all makes sense )

At the moment I have a 2009 C2 PDK (non PASM - ref your previous post) and a 2014 Panamera GTS (PDK).For reference, the Panamera GTS and Macan Turbo have very similar shift speeds in sport plus mode, although the P GTS feels a bit more aggressive.

When I got the 09 C2 early last year it shifted extremely aggressively (i.e. hard/abrupt & fast) in Sport Plus mode (I was actually really impressed, although also a little concerned about the effect it would have on the transmission).
It was much more aggressive than my 2012 Panamera 4s (at the time) and also compared to the Panamera GTS which in turn shifts much faster than the 4S did.
Around May last year the dealer updated the PDK software on the C2 due to a little jerkiness on slow pull aways (parking speed). As a result of that software update the Sport Plus shifting felt marginally slower, but a lot smoother (more seamless) and now is very similar in speed to the Panamera GTS. I would say the C2 shifting still feels a bit more aggressive, than the Panamera GTS but I think that is a function of the weight difference between the two cars.

What this all means is that the 09 PDK is extremely capable of fast and aggressive shifting, with the correct software. I would highly recommend doing the Sport/Sport Plus upgrade from Suncoast as others have already suggested. You'll feel like you got a brand new car.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:42 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

It's all software... It could be that the OP's car has the latest software revision which feathers the clutches longer to achieve smoothness, as demanded by customers complaining about jerky (NOT) shifts.

Also... PDK shifting is adaptive depending on driver acceleration and braking patterns...
Old 03-06-2016, 03:37 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remember when adding aftermarket software programming that if the trans breaks, you will have probably voided your warranty, and you will be waiting a long long long time while the trans gets pulled and sent back to Germany for service.

I had a 997S (06) with tiptronic and sports chrono. Loved the throttle and trans mapping in sport mode but found the suspension settings to be awful. I then looked at an '11 997 (non S) and liked the PDK but nothing to write home about. Actually liked the sport mode tip over the standard PDK. However I liked the standard suspension setting in the '11 better than the two S chronosport choices in my 06. In the end there were lots of other things I didn't like about the 997 so I sold my S...and went back to a 2000 MY 996 with tip. The whole package, for me, is the nicest of all. I like the stock suspension, and the tip is almost as aggressive as the 997 S tip in sport mode. And I find the buttons more practical than the paddles because I can go up and down the gears with either hand.

My driving style has changed with this latest car. I leave it in auto but shift into first at a stop. Then upshift manually until up to cruising speeds. Down shifts are almost always done manually. The tiptronic S, as with PDK, allows you to change into manual mode instantly with the flick of the button. If driving in continuous curves of up and down grades, I will go to full manual setting to hold it in the appropriate gear.

Quick Reply: Pdk slow