Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only one that hates cabriolets?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love convertibles but not the 997 or any of the 911 variants. Doesn't look right to me, I prefer roadsters (two seaters) and the 981 Boxster fits my needs in terms of looks and performance. The Boxster looks like it was designed as a convertible, the 911 doesn't. IMO.
Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Wish there was a folding hard top convertible on the Porsche lineup. My wife has a Benz SLK & it's nice to be able to pop the top when the weather's glorious, but have a coupe the remainder of the time...T
Old 02-29-2016, 02:30 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

I felt the same way when I was young. It was all about what was faster on the track and looked cool. Now that I'm old I'd rather slow down and smell the roses. I also ride motorcycles and that has given me an appreciation for being "in the wind". I just love it.
Plus I think a 997 4s cab looks pretty damn good especially from behind.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Wish there was a folding hard top convertible on the Porsche lineup. My wife has a Benz SLK & it's nice to be able to pop the top when the weather's glorious, but have a coupe the remainder of the time...T

That is one open air Porschephiles should be against. No one should want to add mass at the highest point in a sports car.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:10 PM
kkswow12
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

BUT... the hardtop on the 997 cab is all dat, and more, great lines, Edgy, would you show us once more...please? and its a cab, not the easiest of jobs but worth it, i think...
Old 02-29-2016, 03:10 PM
ric-ko
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
I always just thought the coupes were for people who could not afford the cabriolets and I always felt a little bad for them. They spend the money to get a Porsche but cold not afford the best one.
Feel the same way. Those poor roof-constrained drivers.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:32 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

The 997 cabriolet top might surprise you. It's quieter with the top up than my 996 coupe was. The new 991 fabric top is actually a fabric covered magnesium hard top.
Old 02-29-2016, 04:29 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that the look of a coupe is better than a cab with the top up. BUT, (and a Big BUTT it is), I love the look of a cab with the top down. AND, it is awesome for (at least) 9 months out of the year here in NC that I can drop the top, heated seats on, or not, and carve corners through the hills and back roads! Plus, these machines are so quick and smooth that the "handcuff" speeds arrive before you know it. I enjoy the sense of speed and associated rush that I get (with the top down) well before the trouble starts. An example would be just the other night, it was too chilly for the open air and I came down an on ramp and splashed a "buck ten" before I thought, hmmm, slow down dummy. It was like, "nuthin." On the flip side, knocking on a "buck fifty" with the top down is sublime. Try it! Oh wait, sorry.......
Old 02-29-2016, 05:37 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no substitute for driving in the summer on a twisty road in Minnesota with the top down.
I they were to stop making Cabs it would be the last Porsche I would buy. If the top doesn't go down it is not a sports car just a plain old high performance car.
Who cares what it looks like your inside and no one else cares.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:47 PM
chokeu2
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used to be that guy. I disliked cabs.
But, since I am not tracking motorcycles anymore, or even riding them; a 997 cab was the best of both worlds and the best compromise that appealed to me and how I want to drive now. I am not sure that I'd get another cab, simply because I like my music too much, and with a cab, you have to compromise. But I am enjoying the one that I have, while I have it.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:49 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree, the SLK looks great with top up or down, I had one before getting the Boxster.

Originally Posted by ADias
That is one open air Porschephiles should be against. No one should want to add mass at the highest point in a sports car.
Maybe it needs to be made of light weight carbon fiber, that would be ideal but understand why Porsche doesn't make it.

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The 997 cabriolet top might surprise you. It's quieter with the top up than my 996 coupe was. The new 991 fabric top is actually a fabric covered magnesium hard top.
Still fabric and still looks like a fabric top, plus I hate having to clean it differently than a hardtop. I used to washed the SLK similar to a regular car. The fabric also attracts a lot of pollen and other stuff that the hardtop doesn't.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:20 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Love the look of the cabs much better than the coupe with the top up!….old school looks. Back in the day all sports cars were convertibles!

Tom
Old 02-29-2016, 06:47 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I used to owned a C2S Cab but sold for for a turbo coupe. Lately I am missing the open top experience and contemplating to sell my C63 DD to a cab but not sure which. I am leaning heavy on used 981 Boxster but 718 look gorgeous. Wife also appreciate the open top with PDK.
Attached Images  
Old 02-29-2016, 07:11 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love my cab.

Went shopping for a coupe.
Once the top came down on the cab during the test drive, I was hooked. lol.

The freedom u feel is amazing. Comparable to riding bike before the helmet law. Hahaha

I also think the cab looks great, top up or down.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:42 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Would there be more mass in a hardtop convertible versus a coupe?
T

Quick Reply: Am I the only one that hates cabriolets?