997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to me C4GTS and PDK question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2016 | 09:39 AM
synonymous
Rennlist Member

Default New to me C4GTS and PDK question.

Pulled the trigger on a '12 C4GTS. Simply amazing. PPI check out well. Question about the PDK, seems to shift really hard from 1st to 2nd when driving enthusiastically. No issues with standard driving. Thoughts?

Old 01-31-2016 | 10:03 AM
der Geist
Instructor

Beautiful car, really nice. I would keep the spoiler down though (IMHO)
How many miles and what mode are you driving in? I have heard some shift hard in Sport Plus but that would be all the gears not just first to second.
Old 01-31-2016 | 10:10 AM
synonymous
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Completely on cloud 9 right now. I was in sport plus when it shifted hard. Will have to see in other modes.
Old 01-31-2016 | 10:50 AM
user 72902
Banned

That's a beauty! Sorry I have a manual and can't advise.
Old 01-31-2016 | 10:58 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Sport Plus mode does not ease off the power at all during the shift while the other modes do. It is intended to maximize performance and is no longer concerned with comfort. But don't take it from me, here is an excerpt from a Porsche write-up on this (although this is calling it out in "D" mode, manual mode does the same as far as the clutch and power operation goes):

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:03 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Just to be complete, here is the "M" mode section for Sport Plus.

Old 01-31-2016 | 11:24 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

As Stormrune illustrates, quite normal. Shifting is "BANG, BANG, BANG!!" I recall driving a Panamera with PDK during a Porsche Driving Experience event back when the PDK was first introduced. The instructor had us put it into D, Sport Plus, and jump on it. I knew I had broken the transmission with those shifts.
Old 01-31-2016 | 04:25 PM
secasensei
Intermediate

Was that car at a place in Texas?

I was looking at that car online. You got a GTS without center lock wheels! very hard to find. You will thank yourself many times over. IMO.

She's a Beauty.
Old 01-31-2016 | 06:00 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

perfectly normal for harsh shifts in sport and sport plus mode.
the bump you are feeling is artificial (marketing actually) - the thump in the head is programmed.

Here is chris harris talking about the PDK

Old 01-31-2016 | 06:05 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Oh and just for kicks here is the review for the 4 GTS but doesn't explain PDK as much.
Old 01-31-2016 | 10:58 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

About a year ago I used an iPhone app that coupled the readings from the phone's accelerometer and GPS readings to calculate performance. The following graph was taken in my best Sport-Plus launch-mode quarter mile run of the day. The biggest point of interest in this discussion is that you can see the extra G kicks coming from the car's computer not backing off of the engine's torque by looking at the blue line. The first-to-second spike at the top of the graph is bit less sharp in its shape, but after that the kicks from second-to-third (at about 2.5 seconds) and the kick from third-to-fourth at a little after 8 seconds. After the quarter mile I ease off the throttle before the final shift to fifth.

I would argue that those kicks, coming from the engine staying on full power during the shift, must actually improve the run speed by a few hundredths of a second. I don't see how easing off of the power to soften the shift could not result in some loss, however small it may be.

As an aside: I chose that day for the instrumented run because the temperature out was just above 40 degrees so I had maximum air density which should give me the best possible power and run times. Theoretically at 40 degrees I would have about 4% more power than I would have had at 75 degrees. And for those familiar with the other thread's discussion, yes I had the Fabspeed intake installed during this run.

The app reported a high-quality correlation between the accelerometer and the GPS during the entire run (indicated by the three bars in the second photo). So the numbers you see are a 3.86 second 0-60, 11.91 second quarter mile, and 331 rear wheel horsepower (based upon the car's weight estimates I provided). I don't delude myself that this is exactly what would be reported at a proper drag strip with real track instrumentation, but I like to think it is probably pretty close. This was the best run by a couple of tenths in both 0-60 and quarter mile of about a half dozen that day. It was the only one that made it under 4 seconds. You could actually feel the car hook up just right at launch on this one, I knew it was going to be good.

Quick Reply: New to me C4GTS and PDK question.