Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 OEM Bluetooth - opinion

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016 | 10:17 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Default 997.2 OEM Bluetooth - opinion

I'm looking for blue tooth options for 997.2, primarily for phone calls. Thinking of retrofitting OEM Bluetooth through dealer. Not sure about Porsche Blue tooth quality. Is it good for phone calls? Clear? How many of you use OEM bluetooth for calls?

TIA.
Old 01-18-2016 | 10:20 PM
Linnm
Pro

I do.
Also play my iPhone music thru my after-market stereo setup.
Very pleased with all aspects of the bluetooth
Old 01-18-2016 | 11:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

The OEM setup works well for phones calls... I wasn't aware you could retrofit it. Thank would be nice if it's possible.

Just to make sure the second post doesn't confuse you. The OEM setup cannot stream music through the PCM, it doesn't support the Bluetooth protocol for music streaming... you have to use an aftermarket solution if you want to stream music via Bluetooth, or use the OEM Aux-input feature with a cable.
Old 01-18-2016 | 11:23 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

As far as I know all 997.2 cars are pre wired for Bluetooth that functionality is locked with code. When we pay dealer ($$$) they will get the code from porsche and unlock/enable it. SuncoastParts sells the module/kit. I will call suncoast to find out what comes with the kit.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic
Old 01-18-2016 | 11:43 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Ahhh... I see. This is actually Porsche part 997-044-902-33. Searching for that it appears that there is some actual wiring or hardware involved, at least for the mic. For more information please take a look at this thread, especially post 12 here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...please.html#12 This guy's dealer quoted 3 hours labor, just FYI. It might be worth asking your dealer about this up front so there aren't any surprises.
Old 01-18-2016 | 11:51 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

OEM bluetooth has worked perfectly. The only time that I had to re-pair my ip6 was when ios 9 came out, but since the update (& prior), connectivity, sound quality & stability has been spot on.
Old 01-18-2016 | 11:55 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Thanks StromRune, I will talk to local dealer first. Also interested to see what items in the Suncoast kit.
Old 01-19-2016 | 01:03 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

My car came with the OEM bluetooth.
I have to say the phone interface is actually pretty good, as is the sound (with the top up at least).

It's actually much better than my Land Rover (which is an '07, to be fair... my C4S is a '10).

Of course, both systems can't hold a candle to the infotainment and BT phone system in my simple '13 Audi A4, which is pretty much the best OEM unit in just about any car i've ever owned or been in.
Old 01-19-2016 | 02:18 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

yes, as other say, it works quite well.
Old 01-19-2016 | 12:30 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Mine works great, and I have a Cab.

My only complaint is that the PCM can only manage a single BT connection, so audio streaming over Bluetooth is not possible (AFAI) when the phone is connected. Like many, I have an old iPod in the center console fur use as a media player.

Does the part that you linked to include the iPod/USB adapter in the center console?
Old 01-19-2016 | 02:31 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Pors968
As far as I know all 997.2 cars are pre wired for Bluetooth that functionality is locked with code. When we pay dealer ($$$) they will get the code from porsche and unlock/enable it. SuncoastParts sells the module/kit. I will call suncoast to find out what comes with the kit.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic
Correct. Mine came without Bluetooth but is pre-wired for it and everything. Local Porsche dealer wants about $900 for the unit plus 'installation" wich takes 5 min or less of imputing a code from Germany. Not worth it in my opinion. I live without it for now. Maybe I'll do something aftermarket later.
Old 01-19-2016 | 03:09 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kcheves
Mine works great, and I have a Cab.

My only complaint is that the PCM can only manage a single BT connection, so audio streaming over Bluetooth is not possible (AFAI) when the phone is connected. Like many, I have an old iPod in the center console fur use as a media player.

Does the part that you linked to include the iPod/USB adapter in the center console?
The Bluetooth and the Aux/iPod interface are two different things. For a 997.2, the iPod adapter is part number 997.044.902.34 which retails for $556 but can be found around 20% less (the 997.1 is a different # and cheaper still).

Also FYI, Bluetooth music streaming is not possible with the OEM unit regardless of whether the phone is bound or not. The hardware doesn't support Bluetooth's A2DP which is used for music streaming.
Old 01-19-2016 | 05:41 PM
Minok
Drifting

To be clear there are at least 3 different systems at play here - well 4 - that can get all combined in the discussion:

1) Bluetooth - the wireless transmission system that lets you connect data devices or mic/speakers
2) Phone module - that lets you make/receive cell phone calls (often works in conjunction with bluetooth but not necessarily)
3) Audio input system - for getting music playback from your personal devices out to the amp/speakers built into the car and its audio system
4) Hands Free Systems - a speaker and more importantly, built in microphone system that lets you hear and speak without the need of a headphone and microphone that needs to be held close to your face or worn over the ear.

As far as I know, all 997.2's come with the bluetooth circuit built into the PCM - but unless you pay for the options and have them enabled, you cannot do anything with it.

The phone option I have fitted OEM to my car is the Phone+Bluetooth option, which uses your phone as the cell transceiver and bluetooth just connects your car's audio speakers and a built in microphone system to the phone, and lets you dial and access your address book via the PCM. It works in conjunction with the hands-free profile (HFP of bluetooth) and uses the hands--free hardware. Adding the phone option is possible I think, however adding the hands-free hardware, specifically the microphone that is built into the dash, is a lot harder.. that may be the catch. The bluetooth HFP profile combined with the hands free hardware (installed mic & PCM configuration) enables using your phone hands free via its bluetooth radio, to make phone calls inside the car.

Other options for the phone are your car being the cell phone transceiver, and you sticking a SIM card into the PCM sim slot, or another option is the car being the cell phone transceiver, and bluetooth is used to access the SIM card data on your phone in your pocket. Those are not common any more, I suspect.

So to get handsfree telephone usage via bluetooth, you need to enable the phone option on the PCM (assuming the hardware is built into all PCM3s) AND get a microphone installed so it can be used with the hands-free profile. The OEM installation works quite well and I use it without problem. As with the bluetooth+handsfree profile (HFP) option, the phone in my pocket is the cell transceiver, the signal to the cell towers isn't as strong as if I was using the car as the cell phone transceiver, but its good enough where I live.

Bluetooth for streaming audio for music/radio/etc playback through the PCM audio system, uses the A2DP bluetooth profile, which is NOT built into the Porsche PCM3 in the 997.2, so you won't get that OEM. There are 3rd party components you can plug into the Universal Audio Interface (if you have that option) which then do A2DP streaming from there... some threads cover the make and model and performance of those. I just permanently house an old iPod Nano in the car that I can sync with iTunes every once in a while if I need to.
Old 01-19-2016 | 07:30 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Yes. If you are like me and you have a 997.2 but don't have universal audio interface and don't care to spend the money on it, the cheapest way to get A2DP is the same route that the 997.1 cars take which is the Isimple Tranzit Blu that plugs into the antenna input on the back of your PCM. I should be all in on that for less than $40. Audio quality should be worse in theory than the Tune2air that many 997.2 cars use but there are enough complaints about the music incessantly dropping out with that to make me not sure it is any better.
Old 01-19-2016 | 10:18 PM
Pors968
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
Yes. If you are like me and you have a 997.2 but don't have universal audio interface and don't care to spend the money on it, the cheapest way to get A2DP is the same route that the 997.1 cars take which is the Isimple Tranzit Blu that plugs into the antenna input on the back of your PCM. I should be all in on that for less than $40. Audio quality should be worse in theory than the Tune2air that many 997.2 cars use but there are enough complaints about the music incessantly dropping out with that to make me not sure it is any better.
My 997.2 don't have both Bluetooth or Universal audio(UAI) option. I don't stream music and don't need UAI. All I need is Bluetooth for phone calls thru car speakers. Of course sound quality is important.

Suncoast service quoted $325 for installing the Bluetooth kit. So enabling OEM Bluetooth feature total cost including install is around $850.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: 997.2 OEM Bluetooth - opinion