ouch!
Old 01-26-2016 | 11:31 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by wardrive
I guess he forgot to move his car.

Downtown NYC

Its a 997.2 C4S Convertible with PDK
Don't see the issue as the top is closed?
Old 01-27-2016 | 10:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I would almost guarantee that car has scratches and more likely dents. Anyone who has experience moving snow that the plow has shoved up against the bottom of your driveway knows that it's full of salt and sand and depending on how long it has been there, freszes into almost a solid block becuase of the salt the lowers the freezing point, then it gets cold at night and freezes anyway. If the plow made more than one pass to achieve that result, which is likely, that car has body damage, possible engine/exhaust damage from the snow being packed into that area and under it, etc.

For sale ad will say - "was running perfectly when I parked it".

That guy clearly isn't a forum member.
Old 01-27-2016 | 01:08 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I see a guy with a 991 C4S convertible frequently around the loop.

I thought he opted for the 20" Carrera Classic wheels in black. I was wrong. His rear wheels were silver. Front wheels were so caked with brake dust that they legitimately looked painted in matte black.

Rock and stone chips everywhere on the front bumper cover. Parking scars on the rear bumper cover. His driver's side and passenger door had so many door dings, it was practically wavy.

Oh, and he drives around with the wing up.

It's just a car.
Old 01-27-2016 | 01:18 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
why shouldn't they?

Is there damage to the car I'm missing?
Not necessarily, but you never know when you buy a used car, I personally wouldn't want a car that's sat on the street through many snow storms. I've worked on too many rusted up cars in the Midwest.

Originally Posted by 997_Toronto
Good point.

In the motorcycle arena, people post ads claiming "Bike has never seen rain." Guess the bike was never washed. Or "Never tracked." Like using the bike on the track somehow damages / diminishes the value of the vehicle.
Yes, "never seen rain" and "stored in a climate controlled garage" might be overkill but this is the opposite of that.

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Nothing that can't be buffed out.

I guess then my car is now worth about $3. I drive in the snow. 0 temps, sand and muk in the Jersey pine Barrons. I even haul cases of beer in the frunk. Worse. I do my own maintenance and even hacked the computer. Even worse, I am knocking on 100 k miles.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sounds like you like your car and wouldn't abandon it in a storm. Obviously we don't know the circumstances on why its there but I bet the owner doesn't take the best care of this car in other ways too.

Originally Posted by motopix
I would never buy a used car that's been on the street. CPO or not!
/s
The point of my original comment is that its hard to know if it sat on the street. I could see this car get some reconditioning and end up as a CPO that the next owner will think was perfectly cared for.

Originally Posted by Petza914
I would almost guarantee that car has scratches and more likely dents. Anyone who has experience moving snow that the plow has shoved up against the bottom of your driveway knows that it's full of salt and sand and depending on how long it has been there, freszes into almost a solid block becuase of the salt the lowers the freezing point, then it gets cold at night and freezes anyway. If the plow made more than one pass to achieve that result, which is likely, that car has body damage, possible engine/exhaust damage from the snow being packed into that area and under it, etc.

For sale ad will say - "was running perfectly when I parked it".

That guy clearly isn't a forum member.
Agree
Old 01-27-2016 | 02:17 PM
wardrive
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LastMezger
Doesn't look like a 4...
Ok. How about now?

Porsche 997.2 c4s left in the snow

But seriously did it matter 1 bit if it was a 4 or not?

Originally Posted by motopix
I would never buy a used car that's been on the street. CPO or not!

/s
I agree. In this case the owner has left the car on the street until things thaw out. Its located in the lower part of Manhattan and I actually see several 911s parked on the street by owners over the years.

Why I agree not to buy a used city car:

- first off, the owner of this car is lucky. Weather has been warm and the snow is melting. IF it was continued cold, the snow would turn to ice and definitely be damaging the car. Also I would be worried for the constant plow trucks passing by that can hit it by accident or spray rock salt on it.

- You ever seen cars parked on the nyc street? Basically they hit each other on the bumpers. 911's in the city, parked on the street are guaranteed to be bumped back and forth like crazy. You can respray all you want, but basically the car was a bumper car.

Overall its sad to see this car just laying there on the street. I'm guessing the owner just wants the weather to uncover his/her car or they are out of town and have no idea whats up with the car. Only issue is that the city will eventually call off the 'park on the street' rule and he will be ticketed or towed if he leaves the car like that.
Old 01-27-2016 | 03:22 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

"Never driven in snow" would be a true statement?
Old 01-27-2016 | 03:31 PM
motopix
Pro

My post was sarcasm (/s).
Old 01-27-2016 | 05:33 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wardrive

But seriously did it matter 1 bit if it was a 4 or not?
It would increase or decrease his chances of getting it out of there himself ...

Quick Reply: 911 in Blizzard of 2016