Sponsored by:

Help with my new 997.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 09:52 PM
sweyant
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with my new 997.1

Just got my new to me 6MT 997.1. This was a replacement for my GTR which was lost to flooding last October. Not much known about the car as the seller got it from dealership he worked at who apparently got it from auction. It has Fabspeed intake, Kline exhaust and apparently a tune. 42,300 miles.

1 issue I am having so far the is clutch is like mashed potato and engages at around 1/4 inch from fully out. Not easy to keep from stalling at times. Stalled at a red light and then wouldn't start again for the longest 3-4 minutes of my life. Made me really grateful for tinted windows.

I have read various threads that obliquely describe this but not really sure what to do about this. I don't know any Porsche mechanics here in Columbia, SC although I read somewhere Doc's is pretty good. I would love to have a cheap, easy fix as I shot my nut on the car itself and new clutch is not ideal right now.

Also, car has Sirius installed through PCM but I can't figure out how to get the radio id number to show so I can activate the service. Any advice about any of the above would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:32 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have no experience with clutches, you would need someone to look at it and tell you whether you need just a clutch and/or other parts. Based on the mods, it's likely the previous owner ran it hard enough to wear down the clutch and more.

Does it slip?? Can you engage it (by releasing pedal/engaging clutch) and pull hard without slippage? Wherein pull hard means accelerate hard.

Starting: Ever get a 'depress clutch pedal' message on dash when it doesn't start??

Prices? Well, you're best to mentally bank around 1500 - 1800.

Basic parts can be had for about 800 bucks.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 AM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The clutch should start engaging almost right off the floor. I haven't dealt with a failing clutch in the 911 but I was under the impression that the pedal gets harder to push when the clutch is going.

I seem to recall reading that the S models have self adjusting clutches but non-S do not. Which do you have?

On Sirius, if it's not currently sub'd brining up Sirius on the PCM should show you the unit id. If it is currently sub'd you'll have to search the web for the procedure to get to the PCM's settings screen. Look up "porsche 997 find pcm version" or something like that. Pretty sure that screen shows you everything that's installed/connected to the PCM and will have your Sirius id.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:46 AM
TheLex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not dealt with a failing clutch on a 997, but I do recall that the 1985 Carrera that I spent a lot of time in had a failing clutch. It would engage near the top of the travel. There was a really short engagement time. If I timed it just a bit wrong the car would stall. After the clutch was replaced, the engagement would start with the pedal about 1/4 of the way released.

If it were me, I'd get it checked out.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:29 AM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do what I have done any number of times. Join AAA, get the 100 mile tow package, cheap, then have it flatbedded to a shop of your choice. I am not sure of what is around Columbia, i live about 70 miles north of you in Rock Hill. But there are any number of good Indy garages around Charlotte, we can give you recommendations if you want. Perhaps other Columbia members can suggest something more local for you. Maybe a good clutch/brake bleed may make it better for you.

if you want some Charlotte are suggestions, let us know.

good luck, and all the best...

NV
Old 01-24-2016, 10:35 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by sweyant
Also, car has Sirius installed through PCM but I can't figure out how to get the radio id number to show so I can activate the service. Any advice about any of the above would be appreciated.
Should be able to find the radio ID by tuning to channel 0 (zero).
Old 01-24-2016, 12:12 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 151 Posts

Hot start problem. Be ready to spend 800 to 1200 dollars to get it fixed. Lots of threads in here on this matter.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:25 PM
motopix
Pro

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Should be able to find the radio ID by tuning to channel 0 (zero).
Just fyi, I couldn't do that on mine. It kept kicking me right back to the channel 1, the Sirius preview channel so I never did see the ID.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

To clarify, that's a hot start problem + clutch problem:

Hot start problem (starter cable) + clutch replacement (and other assorted parts that might need replacement as part of complete clutch overhaul) = Now 2000-3000 in total repair costs.

Not dumping on you. It's best to figure out the total time/cost to get it all straight.

Old 01-24-2016, 02:12 PM
j_leder
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

you can also call sirius to put the car radio in your name and they will walk you thru.
I just recently had to do this when previous owners renewal came up.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Philster;12954108]To clarify, that's a hot start problem + clutch problem

Seems to me OP is posting regarding stalling due to clutch failure not hot start.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:51 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Hoping to get his attention to call out need for better information.

That is all. Nothing fleshes out the truth like telling someone the bill for what they're complaining about, then drilling down to exactly what they mean for proper diagnosis.

Quick Reply: Help with my new 997.1