Oil Temperature Gauge Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 02:29 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Temperature Gauge Failure

Big Red exclamation mark light suddenly appears upon startup, message on the dash advises oil temp gauge malfunction, gauge clearly inop. Is there a possible easy reason and easy fix for the oil temp gauge that suddenly stopped working?

Thanks,

Fred
Old 01-18-2016, 08:57 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Big Red exclamation mark light suddenly appears upon startup, message on the dash advises oil temp gauge malfunction, gauge clearly inop. Is there a possible easy reason and easy fix for the oil temp gauge that suddenly stopped working?

Thanks,

Fred
I had to replace the oil temp sensor on my 996. It actually caused incorrect oil pressure readings (half a bar at idle when hot outside). When the temp sensor was replaced, everything went back to normal.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:56 AM
cmo5
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oil Temperature Gauge Failure

I had the same problem on my turbo. The dealer had to replace the sensor but it has been fine since then.

Chris
Old 01-18-2016, 12:06 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks for the comments, I'm off to the dealer to use my extended warranty.
Old 01-18-2016, 04:09 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

And just as I get in the car to take it to the dealer, the sensor is working. Guess I'll wait for it to permanently fail, as I don't want to hear "well, it's working fine now."

Does anyone know if the failure event throws a code that can be seen, even though the problem resolved itself (for the time being anyway). If a code is visible, then the malfunction would be documented and I could proceed with the repair.

Old 09-21-2022, 10:04 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
I had to replace the oil temp sensor on my 996. It actually caused incorrect oil pressure readings (half a bar at idle when hot outside). When the temp sensor was replaced, everything went back to normal.
I know it's been 6 years but did the temp sensor really affect the oil sender and pressure readings? I do also have half a bar when hot and the temp/level sensor seems to be wonky at times on my '06 997s.

I'm tempted to have it changed but it's like 3-4 hours of labor plus the part since the engine needs to be dropped a bit in order to access the sensor so it's not an inexpensive fix...
Old 09-22-2022, 05:44 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 119 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by LucV
I know it's been 6 years but did the temp sensor really affect the oil sender and pressure readings? I do also have half a bar when hot and the temp/level sensor seems to be wonky at times on my '06 997s.

I'm tempted to have it changed but it's like 3-4 hours of labor plus the part since the engine needs to be dropped a bit in order to access the sensor so it's not an inexpensive fix...
Good question.
Oiltemperatur ist combined with the oil-level-sensor, while oilpressure has its own sensor.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:55 AM
LucV
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 8x57IRS
Good question.
Oiltemperatur ist combined with the oil-level-sensor, while oilpressure has its own sensor.
Right, I know! That's why I was surprised to read that it would influence pressure reading.

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature Gauge Failure