Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VF Engineering Super Charger Thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016 | 01:56 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vbb
Plus, even the cleanest of installs can have their residual problems and headaches.
Passing the emissions test is another issue and of course state dependent. In CA, it's done through the OBD plug and there's no way a modded engine will pass.
Old 01-16-2016 | 03:29 PM
mike9186
Rennlist Member

Did you listen to the Smoking Tire Podcast from a few weeks ago? They had the guy from VF on the show and Matt Farah and all the guys were saying a base 997 with a VF supercharger would be 'the move'.

If you haven't listened it is worth it. They spend a lot of time (as usual) talking about Porsches.
Old 01-16-2016 | 07:26 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

I personally wouldn't do it. Better to do it right the first time and get a Turbo.

Centrifugal blowers (ie a Vortech like the one in this kit) build boost pressure in proportion to the *square* of RPM. In other words, you only get the 6psi at redline; down in the 3000-5000 midrange where you'll want it most you're only going to get maybe 2 or 3 psi of boost, so if you're expecting this car to throw you back in the seat like a Turbo I think you're gonna be massively disappointed.

Way back in a previous life I installed a Vortech blower on a '96 Camaro Z28 and I was never that happy with it due to the way it built boost. I wasn't willing to risk putting more aggressive pulleys on it and I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk doing that to a Porsche with > 11:1 stock compression ratio.
Old 01-16-2016 | 10:23 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dasams
Passing the emissions test is another issue and of course state dependent. In CA, it's done through the OBD plug and there's no way a modded engine will pass.
They are made and sold in California so I didn't ask but I'm pretty sure a California based company can't install parts quoit hour them being legal--especially such a large company such as VF.

Originally Posted by andy92782
I personally wouldn't do it. Better to do it right the first time and get a Turbo.

Centrifugal blowers (ie a Vortech like the one in this kit) build boost pressure in proportion to the *square* of RPM. In other words, you only get the 6psi at redline; down in the 3000-5000 midrange where you'll want it most you're only going to get maybe 2 or 3 psi of boost, so if you're expecting this car to throw you back in the seat like a Turbo I think you're gonna be massively disappointed.

Way back in a previous life I installed a Vortech blower on a '96 Camaro Z28 and I was never that happy with it due to the way it built boost. I wasn't willing to risk putting more aggressive pulleys on it and I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk doing that to a Porsche with > 11:1 stock compression ratio.
I understand your concerns with other kits. I'm not trying to justify this kit but to compare a well engineered setup with something that was bolted on with unknown engineering involved is not really a fair comparison. Turbos have that pesky problem of being four wheel drive. Besides, I don't care for the look or the side vents--a little too loud for me.
Old 01-16-2016 | 11:11 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Turbos are very, very easy to convert to rwd.
Old 01-16-2016 | 11:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MaddMike
. Turbos have that pesky problem of being four wheel drive. Besides, I don't care for the look or the side vents--a little too loud for me.
You can take the front wheel drive parts out of a turbo and run it as a RWD car only, giving you more like a lesser powered GT2 (obviously different suspension components and other stuff, but you get the idea).

I have a RUF supercharged C2S and it's absolutely awesome. My wife also drives a 997.1 C2S and there is no comparison between the 2 cars. Mine is the only car I've had where I haven't longed for more power. Now there may be a big difference between the RUF and the VF kits since the RUF kit was about $30,000. Also, RUF supercharged cars are selling well above regular models (a few months ago a 997.1 C4S based R-Kompressor sold for $75k) so they're in Turbo territory, probably because of the RUF reputation and exclusivity. I posted a lot of detailed information in another thread like this one a couple months ago when someone was asking the same question so you can search for it.
Old 01-17-2016 | 12:13 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Some good points. As I said earlier, I will probably wait a year or two and see how I feel. In not actuall bored of the car as I just bought it. I'm just basing the more power desire on my past history of ownership.

Also, there has not been a 997.2 VF kit so all of the reviews and installation/track reports are based on the 997.1 or 996. Yes, I have read other people's post about their installation, but it was never for the 997.2 as that kit has been in development and is only coming out in the next few months. Preorders get a $1,500 discount--but that may b a gimmick to get pre orders.
Old 01-17-2016 | 09:21 AM
1Carnut
Pro

My car was pretty rebuilt from the ground up, mostly one off parts, colors on the inside don't match (some black, some grey) chassis rebult using titanium and other lightweight materials. No traction controls. It is almost 10 years old has 16K miles on it and only gets driven then the weather conditions are perfect. I have plenty of other cars and this one was delivered last Thursday. I turned the first Gallardo to RWD in 04 and have turned two TT's to RWD (most because I do not like the AWD sports cars feel), though the more complicated theses cars get (the 991 TT might not be so easy to do with all the electronics in the steering) he harder it is to convert them. I always tell people if you have to think about it more than 5 minutes don't do it.
Old 01-17-2016 | 09:44 AM
extanker
Banned

po's trick is to rev the snot outta every gear and hope you get to the turn first .....they really are not a torque car or a street light fighter.....if you want to keep up with corvettes...buy one
Old 01-17-2016 | 08:47 PM
Pro

VF is down the street from my house. Might stop by.
Old 01-18-2016 | 06:45 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

What about TPC Racing Turbo kit. Runs $10k and they quoted me about $3k for the install.
Old 01-18-2016 | 07:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

What about TPC Racing Turbo kit. Runs $10k and they quoted me about $3k for the install.
In order to do any type of forced induction and have it be reliable and durable, I believe you need to lower the compression ratio of the engine. 997 Turbo engines are around 9.0:1 and the NA engines are around 11.8:1. You also need to be able to meter the air and capture the temperature after it's been compressed so that you can manage the engine. I know how RUF does all of this in my car (different head gaskets to lower compression, a DME from a TT car to manage air/fuel, spark, detonation, timing, etc, a totally different intake setup with temp sensors where those are connected to the DME instead of the temp sensor built into the normal MAF, completely different MAF - non Porsche fitment in-fact), but I don't know how the other guys manage it on their kits. If they can provide you answers to these critical aspects, then maybe they're worth looking into - if not, I would avoid them. Attached is a PDF that shows the guts of my RUF kit - any part on the engine shown in a color is different from the stock part. I have 0 supercharger belt dust so there's not any slippage occuring with this setup and routing. I'm also getting ready to install a PLX multi-function gauge so I can see boost, AFR, and other parameters to make sure everything stays looking and running right.

Honestly, your best course of action is to sell what you have, buy a Turbo and convert it to rear wheel drive only. None of the aftermarket kits you're looking into are going to add value to the car, they're very difficult to sell second hand if you ever want to return to stock, and you may completely destroy your engine if the kit isn't fully developed and thoroughly tested. I was very lucky in finding the car I did, but was going to go the TT route when it popped up.

Just my 5 cents worth but let us know what you decide to do and how it works out. Taking on another 100 HP sure changes the driving dynamics of the car.
Attached Images  
Attached Images
Old 01-18-2016 | 07:34 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Not selling anything or doing anything at this time. Just discussing and hearing opinions.
Old 01-18-2016 | 08:05 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Not selling anything or doing anything at this time. Just discussing and hearing opinions.
Good plan. Do your research and make sure it's the move you want to make. Also, with you in Delaware and TPC not far from you, maybe you can arrange to drive one of their turbo kit cars and really do a deep dive into whats included in the kit and how they integrate it into the car's electronics.

If their suspension development (DSC) is any indication of their abilities, that might not be a bad way to go, especially since you're close to them in proximity should any runnability or performance issues arise.
Old 01-19-2016 | 12:24 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

With 987.1 Caymans reaching the low 20s, I would consider those if resale value is an issue, over a 911.

Quick Reply: VF Engineering Super Charger Thoughts.