Sponsored by:

Phone Mount Idea! Suggestions Wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016 | 01:34 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben Z
There are at least 2 different brands of CD mount. They all have reviews where someone has said they work themselves loose. The Koomus one looks to have the strongest jaws, but I read several reviews where people said it spread or even cracked the plastic of the CD slot. I really wanted this to be a solution, because where I live it's just plain assinine to block an A/C vent.

So far I have not seen a single phone mount setup for the 997 that doesn't involve some major compromise...either blocks a vent or sits too low for seeing without taking eyes off the road, or sits where passenger can kick/bump it.

The only time I really care about seeing the phone is if I'm using NAV, in which case I just set it in landscape orientation in front of the shift boot, leaning against the cubby under the A/C controls. My phone is in a rubber case and stays put pretty well on good roads. Otherwise I just put it nose-first into that cubby.
Maybe you are over thinking this. My solution was over the top too, but my wife uses this one....stick to the glass in the far, lowest left position and it sits tucked low next to the A pillar. Really nice
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Y&A=details&Q=

Power is routed from the fuse box directly below, and the cable is tucked between the dash and body.... really simple. I will try to takw some pics this eve.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 02-08-2016 at 02:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2016 | 01:57 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Originally Posted by vern1
Many of you recommend the cd mount but one poster commented that it was not strong enough for rough roads and/or spirited driving

Can anyone else comment on their experience in this situation? Would hate to have it come flying out if you hit a bump halfway through a corner

Thanks
I haven't had any issues with my CD mount on rough roads. Spirited driving?- I don't have my phone mounted during spirited driving. Concentrate on the road.
Old 02-08-2016 | 02:02 PM
vern1
Race Car

Yes I know safety 1st blah blah but I don't want to have to remove my phone if we hit a few turns and hence my question . Its not like I am looking for directions in the middle of a turn
Old 02-08-2016 | 04:44 PM
gr1275
Pro

I ordered the Koomus based on this thread. I've been using it for a month or so now and have not had any issues. I'm using the magnetic holder and the phone (I6s) has not moved. I also have not had the unit work loose in the CD slot. However, there is some vertical movement of the phone when I hit some bumps on our secondary roads. I appears to be the CD/bezel that is flexing.
I take it out at night... no real reason other than I thought it would prolong the life of the spring and remove any stress from the CD assembly.
So far, it has performed as I expected.

Gary
The following users liked this post:
gaap master (08-13-2019)
Old 02-09-2016 | 01:26 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

1. Panavise 75132-105 phone mount (attaches to the factory radio screws)
  2. Add neodymium magnets to panavise mount (double sided trim tape works perfectly)
  3. Cover magnets and mount with self adhesive hobby felt or leather.
  4. Add a slim case to the iPhone with a very thin piece of metal sandwiched in the case (or Android if you must)

End result? An unobtrusive magnetic mount that holds strong and is perfectly positioned for apps like Waze, Pandora, Apple music. Inexpensive (less than $30 or so for the mount and extra materials), looks as close to OEM as your going to get, fully reversible to stock.

I've used *many* different kinds of mounts in several different vehicles, from full custom iPad installations, RAM mounts, etc, and panavises with magnets are by far my favorite for phones or even iPad mini's.

I'll try and snap a picture tomorrow...
Old 02-09-2016 | 02:33 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

for those that are wondering why their "metal" iphones don't work with the magnet. You do realize that the apple stuff is made out of the new element called "Aluminum"? Aluminum doesn't work with magnets because they aren't magnetic (or only very slightly magnetic in the very true sense of the word). I kind of thought this was common knowledge, but I guess not.

Quick Reply: Phone Mount Idea! Suggestions Wanted.