Sponsored by:

Damn its cold outside -

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:01 PM
Gonzo911
Rat Balls
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It's going to get down into the 50's tonite...brrrrr.

Should I bring my car inside?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:19 PM
J1720
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

/\ :-) It's going to be -15 here sat night
Old 01-06-2016, 09:03 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

From a 996 thread of a similar nature on bore scoring:

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The cold is just one of the variables that play into this. Actual running clearances vary from engine to engine, and the quality of the localism cylinders, and the protective piston skirt coating does, too. The adhesion of this coating to the pistons is a key player in the cylinder failure, as it often occurs first, before the cylinder fails.

No single thing is going to help this scenario. I have tested a block heater kit that we made up, but no one would buy it, and on top of that, when you truly understand the dynamics behind this failure, you realize that engines that are going to die from this are already injured as we talk about this as they have already had the perfect storm set up, and it just has to play out.
This is a failure where luck is the major variable.

The biggest mistake people make is firing the car up in winter and allowing it to warm the cabin before they get in, or allowing too much engine warm up time at idle. This keeps the cold start, and just started enrichment higher and for a longer amount of time. All the while the injectors are dumping excess fuel to help light the catalytic converters off, with help of secondary air injection. This fuel is pure solvent, washing down the oil thats the lifeblood of the cylinders and pistons.

Load= Heat. Get in, strap in, fire up and drive away lightly and the engine will not see nearly as much over- enrichment.
Old 01-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Man, it takes awhile for my car to get the coolant warm enough for the heater to make a difference at idle.

That's probably about 10-15 minutes of idling to get to 175*f per the CAN, and I have a third radiator. That is too long.

A minute or two won't hurt anything. At the two minute mark, the engine's just come off fast idle and the coolant temp is around 75-90*f.
Old 01-06-2016, 03:10 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

As far as the weather goes for you guys up north, I can feel your pain!

Winter is also upon us with a vengeance and right now it's a bit nippy outside since we just had a sun shower that dropped the temperature down to 74 degrees. Hell I may even have to close a window and change out of my shorts and T-shirt for warmer clothes.

Bummer!!
Old 01-06-2016, 04:58 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had to wait to get my engine so warm that the cabin was warm, I could take a shower and get dressed in that time.

I back out of my garage when the fast idle drops. By the time I get into the street and get my absent mind squared away, I am probably always at the 2-3 minute mark, and if it's really cold out, it's gonna be some time before I can really get on it.

Old 01-07-2016, 09:42 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

It warmed up to 30 this morning from 11 two days ago. Warm for January around here so I gave the Porsche a break and rode a motorcycle to work.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:58 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
It warmed up to 30 this morning from 11 two days ago. Warm for January around here so I gave the Porsche a break and rode a motorcycle to work.
You just got my respect
Old 01-07-2016, 12:08 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,801 Likes on 876 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
You just got my respect
Half the fun is getting drivers to do a double take. I do draw the line when there is ice on the road and I do "cheat" by wearing Gerbing heated gloves and jacket.

It really is toasty enough--you just look tough.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I learned to drive by riding a dirt bike in the snow (my Dad on the snowmobile). I rode my RD350 in the snow as well.

The coldest I've ever been was a ride on a Honda 750SS New Years Day from Phoenix to LA. That was 37 years ago and I still remember it (too) well.

FWIW, I went to (under grad) college in a little town where every February we had a week where the high was -30F.

I do know cold. No need to explain the gloves. My proverbial hat is of to you
Old 01-07-2016, 05:27 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Five words: Heated Steering Wheel + Heated Seats
Old 01-08-2016, 10:44 AM
scottiemac
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

OK. Coldest day yet here. I had to leave my 911 outside due to garage renovations. Came out to a snow covered car. Started right up and let it warm up while I brushed it off. Outside temp showed as -23C (that's -8F for our southern friends). Tranny a bit stiff on the first couple of shifts and took a long time to warm up but works great. When I got to work and walked away from it I was thinking of the Porsche Camp 4 winter driving experience they have north of Montreal. The 911 is actually a really great winter vehicle.
Cheers
Old 01-08-2016, 11:24 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, no, sorry.

Gotta be at least 45*f for me to wake up and dust off any of the iron horses. No winter gear, admittedly.

In my younger, more reckless days I'd ride my old GSX-R 750 down to 17*f on track-weary Pirelli Supercorsas wearing my dad's AGV armored jacket with a hoodie underneath, a scarf, ski pants and ski gloves, Spidi boots with warm socks, and a balaclava under my helmet.
Old 01-08-2016, 12:33 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Man, it takes awhile for my car to get the coolant warm enough for the heater to make a difference at idle.

That's probably about 10-15 minutes of idling to get to 175*f per the CAN, and I have a third radiator. That is too long.

A minute or two won't hurt anything. At the two minute mark, the engine's just come off fast idle and the coolant temp is around 75-90*f.
The radiators, no matter how many you have, are irrelevant during initial start and warm-up. The thermostat stays closed until the water/coolant temp reaches approx 180*F. The quickest way to get the thermostat to open and warm up the engine and all the coolant is to drive off and not sit and idle. A minute or two is the absolute most I would idle if temps were around freezing or below (I personally warm up a much shorter time period).
Old 01-08-2016, 12:39 PM
WJGreer
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 96 Posts

I was in McLean earlier this week, actually. It was definitely colder than a few weeks ago.

My driveway is such that I have to back out, do a single point, go forward 15 or 20 yards, then exit my driveway and only go about 40 yards before a stop sign. I do all of that slowly enough that I think it makes for a decent warm-up.

Quick Reply: Damn its cold outside -