Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How common or often does clutch need replace on 997.1 6MT?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2016 | 01:59 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Not4off
my 2009 Carrera S has original clutch... 90200 miles ... after > 225 track days. Not bragging ...just providing anecdotal information
Its not bragging when you had good instruction. That is what this is all about, getting instruction, learning, and practicing. I drove a stick for years in other cars and never understood heal toeing... until I had good instruction.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 01-05-2016 | 02:08 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Be good to your clutch and in turn it will be good to you.
Old 01-05-2016 | 06:17 PM
997, esq
Racer

I've made it to 100K on a clutch in another car. My C2 needed replacement at about 55K, iirc. I didn't own it for the first 10K miles and my wife drives it every now and then, so that may have had an impact. I think it depends on a number of factor in addition to driver skill (though I am sure you are all as immensely skilled as you think you are), including proportion of freeway to city miles, hills, aggressive launches, etc. I match revs etc.; but don't doubt that there are better people at this than me. Replacement cost about $1500 at a good indy. NBD.
Old 01-06-2016 | 10:46 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

A good driver can even make an automated dual-clutch gearbox, such as a PDK, last longer.

Whether it's the VW groups DSG or the Porsche PDK, the transmission is a balance of smoothness (accomplished somewhat thru clutch slippage) and reliability (can't slip too much). It also lack the eyesight of the driver. Both these issues mean it will slip the clutch a bit (the automated system) or shift too much.

In a DSG or PDK, the driver can take control away from the computer, and basically choose not to shift to avoid some useless shifts. Why let it slip 'n' slide 2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-2 creeping/stuttering along in slow sporadic traffic? (all experiencing slippage)? Put it in 2nd, drive 5-10 MPH in 2nd for the next few miles and avoid 2-3 dozen useless shifts.

So... if you have bad habits and don't know how transmissions work, you will still beat down on an automated manual, too.

As for vision: Since you know what lies ahead (hill!), why let the automated manual shift up just before a hill, just so it can shift down when it climbs the hill?

So, whether it's a manual trans, a PDK-type gearbox or even an old slushbox, the driver's knowledge of how a transmission works, and his ability to adapt his style or intercede will help all transmissions.

Last edited by Philster; 01-07-2016 at 12:28 AM.
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:10 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

My 996 had a stiff clutch pedal when I bought it at 24k miles and I figured it was somewhat worn. When I had the IMS upgrade done at about 25k, the clutch was toast. The new clutch ended up being as smooth as butter and so light I thought I was driving a new Honda Civic. Absolutely beautiful.

When I bought my 09 with 22k miles, clutch was also stiff, although not quite as much as my 996. I have to think it is already pretty worn, although there is no slippage, so I am not replacing it for the time being. I have driven manuals off and on much of my life and never had to replace a clutch up till my 996, so my question is, "who the heck drives these cars?" Or maybe it is just the fact that there are so few manuals anymore, there are lots of people who think they can use a clutch but have no idea. As already noted, it is more the driver than the car, and that's often not good.
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:37 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by golftime
My 996 had a stiff clutch pedal when I bought it at 24k miles and I figured it was somewhat worn. When I had the IMS upgrade done at about 25k, the clutch was toast. The new clutch ended up being as smooth as butter and so light I thought I was driving a new Honda Civic. Absolutely beautiful.

When I bought my 09 with 22k miles, clutch was also stiff, although not quite as much as my 996. I have to think it is already pretty worn, although there is no slippage, so I am not replacing it for the time being. I have driven manuals off and on much of my life and never had to replace a clutch up till my 996, so my question is, "who the heck drives these cars?" Or maybe it is just the fact that there are so few manuals anymore, there are lots of people who think they can use a clutch but have no idea. As already noted, it is more the driver than the car, and that's often not good.
At the end of the 60's Porsche came up with the Sportomatic transmission. A manual transmission but actuated semi- automatic. My 911E Sportomatic from 69' with 180 000 miles on it had the transmission opened for inspection. The original clutch was still in a as-new condition.

I have seen clutches completely worn to the rivets with only 10 000 miles on it, after fixing these cars and see the owner taking off it is most of the time no surprise why these clutches wear out so fast.
Old 03-16-2016 | 06:08 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Since this thread isn't too cold I'll add to it. According to John at Chris's German Auto in Redmond (a respected indy in the Seattle area some of you may know) 50-60k clutch life is typical on the 997. The reason is not clutch plate wear, it's the pressure plate. It's designed to be light and as a result doesn't last as long as those in other cars. I know this because I was asking about a car that I was considering with 46k and he said budget for a clutch in the next 10-15k. I'm sure some have lasted longer and some less. But just cause you don't want it to happen doesn't mean it won't, regardless of how you drive.
Old 03-16-2016 | 08:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Nip are
Since this thread isn't too cold I'll add to it. According to John at Chris's German Auto in Redmond (a respected indy in the Seattle area some of you may know) 50-60k clutch life is typical on the 997. The reason is not clutch plate wear, it's the pressure plate. It's designed to be light and as a result doesn't last as long as those in other cars. I know this because I was asking about a car that I was considering with 46k and he said budget for a clutch in the next 10-15k. I'm sure some have lasted longer and some less. But just cause you don't want it to happen doesn't mean it won't, regardless of how you drive.
Respected? John Robison??? Thanks, I needed a good laugh. You just made my day.
Old 03-17-2016 | 12:37 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Originally Posted by chuck911
Respected? John Robison??? Thanks, I needed a good laugh. You just made my day.
You have me there, I don't personally know the man or the shop aside from having a conversation with him. Chris's has been around for a long time and many seem to like them. Are there better shops in the area? Is the info he provided on 997 clutches flawed?
Old 03-17-2016 | 03:15 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

I've had good experiences with Squire's Autowerke in Bellevue. My clutch assembly currently has ~85k miles and is just showing early signs of wear - not the slave cylinder It's inside the bell housing.. probably the release bearing or the pressure plate. I'm waiting until the RMS leak gets worse or the clutch goes real bad..
Old 03-21-2016 | 02:00 PM
cibergypsy
Instructor

I'm at 73,500 miles on my original clutch; no signs of slipping at all...

Quick Reply: How common or often does clutch need replace on 997.1 6MT?