Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newly returned to Rennlist , 997.2 Main Beam question 997.2 where do yours point ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015 | 01:13 PM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

Default Newly returned to Rennlist , 997.2 Main Beam question 997.2 where do yours point ?

Hi all, I just got a beautiful silver 2009 C4S, what a car. Last time I was on the forum years ago I had a 1996 C4S, boy do I wish I'd kept that, it was cheaper to get the 997. Will post pics soon.

Anyway I have noticed that the right main beam, that's the halogen lower bulb that only comes on when you push the lever to main beam, (or pull to flash) shines significantly lower than the left beam. This is not independently adjustable from the upper xenon. If you use the adjustment per the book, both move, however the xenon lights on high are the same as the left side. So is it supposed to be like this ? Or do I have a bad unit, it was replaced once. I searched the forums and found nothing. Mine has the self leveling and cornering lights. So, where do yours shine ?
Old 12-24-2015 | 04:27 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Your profile doesn't say where you live. Is your car LHD?
Old 12-24-2015 | 04:36 PM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

TN sorry
Old 12-25-2015 | 04:54 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

In the US I believe the left main beam should be lower than the right to not blind other drivers, not the opposite. On the 997.1 there is a way to force aan automatic headlight adjustment. With the key off and out of the ignition, turn the headlight switch all the way to the right. Now cycle the key to the full accessory position, but not to engage the starter. The headlight beams should die and then come up to the proper level. If this doesn't work, it's possible it doesn't work with the dynamic cornering lamps in the 997.2 or that something is wrong with your lights or control modules.
Old 12-26-2015 | 06:18 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
In the US I believe the left main beam should be lower than the right to not blind other drivers, not the opposite. On the 997.1 there is a way to force aan automatic headlight adjustment. With the key off and out of the ignition, turn the headlight switch all the way to the right. Now cycle the key to the full accessory position, but not to engage the starter. The headlight beams should die and then come up to the proper level. If this doesn't work, it's possible it doesn't work with the dynamic cornering lamps in the 997.2 or that something is wrong with your lights or control modules.
+1 on the headlights being adjusted opposite of what you would expect for a LHD car.

The OP says he has PDLS, and I can confirm that the method described above (key off, lights on, key to accessory position) will cycle the headlights (low beams only, or low and high beams if the high beams have new engaged) on his 997.2 through their full range of motion, in/out/down/up.

I was not aware that this was part of a calibration step, but can believe that it is true.

Last edited by kcheves; 12-27-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-26-2015 | 09:36 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. I've just received my car, and on the drive back (from Michigan to CA) my right beam, imo, aims too high. Last nite just discovered the car had the "dynamic cornering ability"/......I had quite a few truckers and other drivers flash their highs at me...one trucker was a complete dic about it too....
Old 12-27-2015 | 11:14 AM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikes70
Very interesting. I've just received my car, and on the drive back (from Michigan to CA) my right beam, imo, aims too high. Last nite just discovered the car had the "dynamic cornering ability"/......I had quite a few truckers and other drivers flash their highs at me...one trucker was a complete dic about it too....
The right headlight aims higher by design to illuminate farther into your lane without hitting traffic in the opposite direction. By "Aiming high", I mean there is a step in the light pattern that is higher on the right side. Here is a link to an image of what it should look like:

Headlight pattern for LHD car

The dynamic cornering should not be projecting light into oncoming traffic, just following your lane as you go around corners.
Old 12-28-2015 | 11:40 PM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

Default Update pics

To Clarify original post. Mine is a USA LHD manual car. Here are pics of the lights on against the garage door (about 10 feet away)

1 headlights on not full beam. You can see the right xenon is mabye slightly higher than left but ok.

2 Headlights on stick forward full beam, you can clkearly see the halogen beams (yellowish spots) the right is significantly lower, xenon lights are same as 1

3 the headlight switch is OFF, and the stick is pulled toward driver as in flash the cars arhead. Here you can really see what i am talking about, the light is way low and right.

Can someone post pics of their light pattern. Im wondering if that main beam is deliberately aimed low right to see the sides of the road on the right. (USA)
Attached Images    
Old 12-29-2015 | 12:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

My wife's car is in the garage tonight facing the door, so it's pretty close to the door, but with the ignition off, pulling the stalk back to flash the high beams, both lights look to be the same level.

By the way, your Xenon pattern looks normal for a US car with the right light slightly higher than the left and those lights should auto-level as you drive and if a .2 car, which I think you said you had, they will angle when the steering wheel is turned as well.
Old 12-29-2015 | 08:53 AM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

Thanks that's the confirmation I was looking for, looks like a trip to Porsche. I wonder if they will warranty or if there is some way to adjust just the halogen.

Correct on the xenons, by the way they only turn with the steering above 5 or 8 mph. Per owners manual

Originally Posted by Petza914
My wife's car is in the garage tonight facing the door, so it's pretty close to the door, but with the ignition off, pulling the stalk back to flash the high beams, both lights look to be the same level.

By the way, your Xenon pattern looks normal for a US car with the right light slightly higher than the left and those lights should auto-level as you drive and if a .2 car, which I think you said you had, they will angle when the steering wheel is turned as well.
Old 01-05-2016 | 11:22 PM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

Default Update on Main Beam Problem: Can someone please post a pic of their main beam

So i took the car to the dealer today, not very helpful. They essentially told me they could not diagnose the problem and that i would have to buy a new headlight assembly to see if it solved the problem. They stated its a sealed unit with no adjustments possible. Now i just did not buy this at all so i talked to a more knowledgable dealer who thinks it may be a bad unit. He says they will help if i can show evidence of what other cars pattern looks like.

What i need now is proof.

Can someone please park their car 12 ft in front of their garage door and take the same three pics as i did and post em. Main beam on, Low beam only and headlights OFF but stick pulled as if flashing lights.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-06-2016 | 07:45 PM
Wolfk
Racer

Name:  DSC00960.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  260.2 KB

Here you go. My right beam is actually slightly higher than left.
Just for giggles, you may want to pop out your right headlight assembly and check to see if the bulb is seated correctly in its housing, could be something simple.
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:40 PM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

Thanks, that's helpful,

What do your low beams look like ? Then high beam with xenons (stick forward)

I have checked the bulbs on mine, even swapped them out. I have tried adjusting the right light to bring the halogen up but that puts the xenon too high. Will check the xenon sensor arms on suspension next.
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rodmanc4s
Thanks, that's helpful,

What do your low beams look like ? Then high beam with xenons (stick forward)

I have checked the bulbs on mine, even swapped them out. I have tried adjusting the right light to bring the halogen up but that puts the xenon too high. Will check the xenon sensor arms on suspension next.
The sensor arms only control the auto-leveling feature, but they're not left / right independent, just up and down based on the load in the car. If you move one of those arms both beams will either rise or fall depending on how you move it but it won't make the left one lower and the right one stay where it is - it will lower as well.

I know about this subsystem after having to fabricate a bracket and then adjust it's position a little when installing my RSS lower control arms. It's the little metal bracket in the top right of this photo. Yours is probably a black plastic piece.
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2016 | 11:57 PM
Rodmanc4s
AutoX

Good point. That means I'm back to trying to adjust the halogen closer to the xenon. I find it hard to believe there is no adjustment for the lower halogen bulb. Wish I had access to a workshop manual.

Quick Reply: Newly returned to Rennlist , 997.2 Main Beam question 997.2 where do yours point ?