Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 COMPLETE MOTOR MOUNT FAILURE AND ENGINE FALLING OUT THE CAR...

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2015, 03:51 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
No longer available right now or ever? If you're looking for a close to stock, slightly tighter than the Function First are a great option. All the rest are a little more "raw". Are they just out of stock? You could always send your old ones in, although the car would be immobile during the process.
FF no longer offers core exchange:
http://www.function-first.com/produc...-mount-upgrade

Website says they are sold out. Emailed inquiry asking when they will be back in stock has gone unanswered.
Old 12-25-2015, 06:40 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Dubbyfreshquire
I would say anywhere between 25-45k considering they are moving rubber. As noted by another member the handling changes. I can notice now the back end doesn't reverb as much as before going over bumps. But I can't make any further assessment on handling effect...I didn't have a proper comparison buying used.

The thing that scares me out the solid mounts...is just that...How do they affect the overall life and integrity of the car. I much rather replace those items and be saving wear on the frame and engine internals since they provide give/ leeway to adapt to non perfect roads. i could see on the track where there are only the run offs that have bumps, but on public streets. I really cannot see have one solid form engine and car... Especially in the District... where the potholes stick out of the ground...
One of the fluid filled mounts on my BMW 128i failed at under 30,000 miles (just as a data point).

I wouldn't worry about using solid rubber mounts on a street car. Porsche (and BMW etc) simply use the fluid filled mounts for comfort. Porsche used solid rubber mounts on 911s for decades without any problems and they lasted longer as well. Water cooled engines run a bit smoother than the old air cooled motors also.

I changed the fluid filled mounts in my 993 to Porsche solid rubber mounts and I really couldn't tell any difference as far as comfort or noise.
Old 12-26-2015, 12:24 AM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
No longer available right now or ever? If you're looking for a close to stock, slightly tighter than the Function First are a great option. All the rest are a little more "raw". Are they just out of stock? You could always send your old ones in, although the car would be immobile during the process.
Sold out and discontinued. The price was really good in comparison to the other offerings so their unavailability is unfortunate.

Of the other semi solids out there, which one is the softest?
Old 12-26-2015, 10:56 AM
cutlass476
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by MaddMike
Had this happen to an old, rusty Beatle back in the day.
I don't know how you could have possibly had this happen to an old rusty Beatle back in the day since Beatles do NOT have motor mounts per say. The original Beatle's engine was mounted to the transaxle by 4 bolts ONLY. You would have had to have 3 of the 4 bolts literally fall out in order to experience anything remotely close to the engine mount failure depicted here.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:34 AM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,732 Likes on 843 Posts

Originally Posted by cutlass476
I don't know how you could have possibly had this happen to an old rusty Beatle back in the day since Beatles do NOT have motor mounts per say. The original Beatle's engine was mounted to the transaxle by 4 bolts ONLY. You would have had to have 3 of the 4 bolts literally fall out in order to experience anything remotely close to the engine mount failure depicted here.
To be fair, it was actually a VW Brasilia but I figured most people here won't know what that was. I would imagine the engine would mount in a similar way to the Beatle but I honestly don't know how it happened as I was a kid. I just remember the engine sitting on the road and taking a very long walk with my parents and brother and sister.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:51 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 151 Likes on 87 Posts

Over 30 years of owning 911's, and a lifetime of loving and following these cars and I've never seen or heard of a complete motor mount failure like that.

I did have my battery on my very first car fall through the floor board - but that was on my '74 VW Super Beetle.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Was searching motor mount failure this morning and found this thread.

Just to add, I snapped a Rennline motor mount (w red track insert) yesterday @ Barber in my 996C2. These mounts were less than 2 years old. The bolt simply snapped and my motor now looks like the OPs photos. These failures do happen and the mount doesn't have to have 100k miles and be 10+ years old.

Last edited by Spinout; 09-11-2017 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:24 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Spinout
Was searching motor mount failure this morning and found this thread.

Just to add, I snapped a Rennline motor mount (w red track insert) yesterday @ Barber in my 996C2. These mounts were less than 2 years old. The bolt simply snapped and my motor now looks like the OPs photos. These failures do happen and the mount doesn't have to have 100k miles and be 10+ years old.
You didn't mention it ending in an accident so I'm glad it wasn't at a 'critical moment' on track for you.

Do you mind posting a pic/pics of the broken parts?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
You didn't mention it ending in an accident so I'm glad it wasn't at a 'critical moment' on track for you.

Do you mind posting a pic/pics of the broken parts?
I was accelerating up the hill into turn 4 when I heard and felt a small 'pop' and then heard and felt a new low end rumble. I initially thought I had a tire failure but everything felt fine. I revved the car in neutral and the rumble it varied with engine RPM so I knew it was motor related and not suspension. I pulled off line and drove slowly to the pits. The car drove ok and everything was working.

I drove back to the paddock and walked around the car to see the left side of the motor hanging 4-5" low. Pics of the car and broken mount in this post. The hot exhaust did melt some of the lower bumper cover.

Sorry fro posting this in the 997 forum but it's the same part in both cars, plus I'm a 997 owner too.

Engine hanging a little to the left....

Broken Rennline motor mount stud. This pic taken from the underside of the car looking at the bottom of the motor mount (you can see the red insert)
Old 09-11-2017, 07:07 PM
mcfisticuffs
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

The first posts made me think, "Gee, I should hurry up and order the Rennline Semi-solids I've been putting off..."

The last post made me think, "Oh ffs. Now what do I replace them with?!"

Quick Reply: 997 COMPLETE MOTOR MOUNT FAILURE AND ENGINE FALLING OUT THE CAR...