Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 COMPLETE MOTOR MOUNT FAILURE AND ENGINE FALLING OUT THE CAR...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

As mentioned previously, it looks like a corrosion issue, mainly. With that going on all you need are a few clutch drops to accelerate the environmentally induced cracking.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:59 AM
JayRace
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has this car ever been in an accident or has the engine been impacted from the bottom? That would be my first guess. As others have said, it is very rare for a mount to shear off this way unless it was secondary damage caused by some other incident.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

For the OP/Dubbyfreshquire

Here she is today... after multiple engine mount failures (one broke an axle!). Still runnin' strong.<br/>

Old 12-22-2015, 03:50 PM
Wasserkühlung
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad it got fixed and didn't result in further damage. Sagging exhaust on one side is a sign that the mounts are toast. If the car has over 80k you might as well replace them anyways. First I have seen where one completely failed and the engine almost came out!
Old 12-22-2015, 04:30 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad that worked our Dubby. I'm in Rockville, MD. FWIIW there are good P car clubs to join, not that I'm a joiner
Old 12-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup. I should probably have asked for those Wevo transmission mounts for Christmas.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:50 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Man, I'm glad I swapped mine out for a set of wevos a few months back. My OE mounts were pretty shot. I was able to get quite a bit of play with my bare hands.
Old 12-22-2015, 08:56 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Man, I'm glad I swapped mine out for a set of wevos a few months back. My OE mounts were pretty shot. I was able to get quite a bit of play with my bare hands.
Hella-Buggin' - what 911 do you have and what kind of mileage? I'm now wondering if I should preemptively change mine...

Has anyone here tried the Function-First Performance engine (semi-solid) mounts? Thoughts?
Old 12-22-2015, 09:05 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jchapura
Hella-Buggin' - what 911 do you have and what kind of mileage? I'm now wondering if I should preemptively change mine...

Has anyone here tried the Function-First Performance engine (semi-solid) mounts? Thoughts?

My car is an 06 S coupe. It's got about 76k miles of fun on it. Regarding the function first mounts, do you track the car?
If you do, the wevos are fantastic but they do come at a cost via noise vibration. If I didn't track it, I would either go with the function first or the OE.

Personally, I love the increased noise vibration and rawness of the wevos but I bought them from a fellow RL'r who didn't so I got a good deal on them when he pulled them off of his car shortly after putting them in.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:27 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

My car is an 06 S coupe. It's got about 76k miles of fun on it. Regarding the function first mounts, do you track the car?
If you do, the wevos are fantastic but they do come at a cost via noise vibration. If I didn't track it, I would either go with the function first or the OE.

Personally, I love the increased noise vibration and rawness of the wevos but I bought them from a fellow RL'r who didn't so I got a good deal on them when he pulled them off of his car shortly after putting them in.
Thanks Mark. I don't track the car and therefore would probably go with the FF's at around $265 for the set. At Pelican, the Porsche's are about $440.

Update: the FFs are no longer available. There are at least three other semi-solid aftermarket mounts available at about $400.

Last edited by jchapura; 12-24-2015 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Took out the follow-up question
Old 12-23-2015, 03:34 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

No kidding. What I been saying. Took me like 20 sec to click over to Pelican and learn the mounts on the 997 are fluid filled and prone to leakage.

But really, take away all the fluffy terminology and branding, all anyone needs to do is look and think: its rubbery stuff between steel that's constantly moving back and forth. D'oh! Its gonna wear out.

Would be nice if the magnetorheological fluid-filled 991 mounts were an upgrade. Not only work a lot better, probably last a lot longer, maybe even a lifetime part.
Old 12-24-2015, 01:27 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Default Service interval for engine mounts?

Acknowledging that they do wear out (but not explicitly mentioned in the Porsche service recommendations), what do you think the recommended service life should be?
Old 12-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Dubbyfreshquire
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
As mentioned previously, it looks like a corrosion issue, mainly. With that going on all you need are a few clutch drops to accelerate the environmentally induced cracking.
Totally. That is why I checked the other mounts and rubbers on the car. All seemed to be in order, but there will be a replacement schedule at this point.

Originally Posted by JayRace
Has this car ever been in an accident or has the engine been impacted from the bottom? That would be my first guess. As others have said, it is very rare for a mount to shear off this way unless it was secondary damage caused by some other incident.
No. I checked the car fax and auto check, no accidents, but that doesn't mean the original owner didn't drive it.

Originally Posted by Philster
For the OP/Dubbyfreshquire

Here she is today... after multiple engine mount failures (one broke an axle!). Still runnin' strong.<br/>

That is gorgeous. I love 80s cars. I really really do.

Originally Posted by too tall
Glad that worked our Dubby. I'm in Rockville, MD. FWIIW there are good P car clubs to join, not that I'm a joiner
Nice. I am totally a joiner... I need to join as much as possible to learn how to drive this darn thing. So if you are ever wanting a "join" buddy, I am the guy
Bwyatt@4blegal.com you can email me!

I will certainly be going more "race" inspired next time around. I hopefully get a good 30K out of them...at which point I will be rebuilding the engine and trying to replace as many wear items as possible and a few upgrades. Should take a few years, but I will get there.

Acknowledging that they do wear out (but not explicitly mentioned in the Porsche service recommendations), what do you think the recommended service life should be?
I would say anywhere between 25-45k considering they are moving rubber. As noted by another member the handling changes. I can notice now the back end doesn't reverb as much as before going over bumps. But I can't make any further assessment on handling effect...I didn't have a proper comparison buying used.

The thing that scares me out the solid mounts...is just that...How do they affect the overall life and integrity of the car. I much rather replace those items and be saving wear on the frame and engine internals since they provide give/ leeway to adapt to non perfect roads. i could see on the track where there are only the run offs that have bumps, but on public streets. I really cannot see have one solid form engine and car... Especially in the District... where the potholes stick out of the ground...
Old 12-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Dubbyfreshquire
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
No kidding. What I been saying. Took me like 20 sec to click over to Pelican and learn the mounts on the 997 are fluid filled and prone to leakage.

But really, take away all the fluffy terminology and branding, all anyone needs to do is look and think: its rubbery stuff between steel that's constantly moving back and forth. D'oh! Its gonna wear out.

Would be nice if the magnetorheological fluid-filled 991 mounts were an upgrade. Not only work a lot better, probably last a lot longer, maybe even a lifetime part.
Crazy thing is I recall seeing a member who planned/ questioned upgrading to the 997 mounts and hooking the electrical to "turn on" with the PASM. That seems really really keen. If someone did so or holds info on how to do so, I would certainly follow suit and I think we would all be better for doing so.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Update: the FFs are no longer available. There are at least three other semi-solid aftermarket mounts available at about $400.
No longer available right now or ever? If you're looking for a close to stock, slightly tighter than the Function First are a great option. All the rest are a little more "raw". Are they just out of stock? You could always send your old ones in, although the car would be immobile during the process.

Quick Reply: 997 COMPLETE MOTOR MOUNT FAILURE AND ENGINE FALLING OUT THE CAR...