Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 S for sale for 36K

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:42 PM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have not purchased from CARMAX, but they have purchased 2 cars from me. Both cars(loaded Dodge Quad Cab Hemi 4x4 and a Mini Countryman S) had been purchased new by me and were in great shape when I went to get a quote from them. Both times, they offered significantly more than the local dealers that I had originally purchased from. I think their profit center is not marking up the cars, but get an easy sale and then make money on finance and the warranty.
Old 12-11-2015, 11:30 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I've sold 4 cars to Carmax, and each time, they offered more than the dealer would have given us on trade in. Probably could have gotten a little more if I sold them private party, but Carmax is no hassle. Didn't have to deal with tire kickers, low ballers, etc.

I bought my 997 Targa from Carmax. No haggle on the price, and you pay on the higher end of retail.

The do not let you do PPI, but you have 5 days to return the car, no questions asked.

My 2009 Targa 4S with ~13,500 miles (PDK, full leather, sport chrono, etc) was $60k at CarMax. A little on the high side, but in line with other Targa's that I'd seen. When I had a mechanic check it out during the 5 day period, they basically told me the car looked almost brand new. I've been driving it daily since May and have put about 5000 miles on it thus far.

Last edited by F308gt4; 12-13-2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old 12-13-2015, 02:18 AM
rico1263
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by magicmachine
I'm going tomorrow to my local Carmax to ask around about it. Been searching for 997 carrera s for a while in Arctic silver.
I just bought an 997.1 C2S Cab manual from Carmax 2 weeks ago. 39k miles, $38k.

The 5 day warranty is absolutely real. I made the purchase and then took the car for PPI. Came back generally clean, but needed a couple fixes.

Front lower bumper covers were missing, serpentine belt needed replaced, ash tray cover was broken, and side view mirror control **** broken.

My car was leased for 30k miles, dealer then sold to the 2nd owner as CPO. 2nd owner drove it 8k miles in 4 years. Well taken care of and in great working order, even the rag top.

Carmax not only offers 5 day return, but also a 30day full warranty (pretty much anything/everything is covered, even many wear items).

When I brought the car back, they fixed everything for free. Car will need new tires in 2-3k miles, but otherwise I'm very happy with the car, service, and price.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.
Old 12-13-2015, 03:02 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by rico1263

The 5 day warranty is absolutely real. I made the purchase and then took the car for PPI. Came back generally clean, but needed a couple fixes.

Front lower bumper covers were missing, serpentine belt needed replaced, ash tray cover was broken, and side view mirror control **** broken.

My car was leased for 30k miles, dealer then sold to the 2nd owner as CPO. 2nd owner drove it 8k miles in 4 years. Well taken care of and in great working order, even the rag top.

Carmax not only offers 5 day return, but also a 30day full warranty (pretty much anything/everything is covered, even many wear items).

When I brought the car back, they fixed everything for free. Car will need new tires in 2-3k miles, but otherwise I'm very happy with the car, service, and price.

Interesting.. So you took the list of "issues" from your ppi and went back to carmax with the intention of returning it, and they ended up fixing those items to prevent you from doing that?

If so, did they send it out for repairs or did they do it onsite? My only concern would be having their techs perform the work..I've used the guys at carmax for my wife's Nissan (warranty work that paid for itself 3x over) with generally favorable results, but not sure I'd trust them with a 911..
Old 12-13-2015, 10:06 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 215 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by rico1263

Wow, that is great info. interested as well if they repaired everything or sent it out. congrats
Old 12-13-2015, 11:19 PM
rico1263
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Interesting.. So you took the list of "issues" from your ppi and went back to carmax with the intention of returning it, and they ended up fixing those items to prevent you from doing that?

If so, did they send it out for repairs or did they do it onsite? My only concern would be having their techs perform the work..I've used the guys at carmax for my wife's Nissan (warranty work that paid for itself 3x over) with generally favorable results, but not sure I'd trust them with a 911..
Yup, literally just took them the PPI report and said "please fix these items" I didn't threaten to return it at all, didn't need to.

The only repair I was worried about them doing was the serpentine belt. I looked it up and is a 20min repair I probably would have just done myself, super easy. The other items were very superficial.

Anything that is more intensive they will outsource the work to the dealer.

Also, outside of the initial 30 day warranty, I purchased the Carmax MaxCare extended warranty. So anything that breaks I can take the car to Porsche and get repaired. I purchased 5yr/100k miles/$150 deductible for $3400.

Pretty much everything except wear items is covered until Dec 2020 or 100k miles whatever comes first. I pay $150 for each claim, regardless of cost or number of items that need to be fixed.

Can't wait for my IMS to fail .
Old 12-13-2015, 11:32 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 550 Likes on 361 Posts

My wife had that carmax warranty on her Nissan (100k or 5 years w/ $50 deductible) and we def came out way ahead on that one.. It cost her 1600 and I'd say we got close to 8k out of it..

Quick Reply: 05 S for sale for 36K