Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time poster, long time reader, soon to be first time Porsche owner! (I hope)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 12:46 AM
wholewheatoast
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time poster, long time reader, soon to be first time Porsche owner! (I hope)

Hey there everyone! So I think I finally decided to pull the trigger and enter the world of Porsche ownership. Test drove an '07 Targa 4S last December and I was hooked. Been scouring the interwebs since then and the stars may have aligned just enough for me to take the plunge!

Looking at an Arctic Silver '09 Targa 4S MT with 60K on the clock. It's not as optioned as I'd like (standard leather, no SportChrono, standard seats) and it's not blue (I swear, none of them really are, you all are just good at Photoshop). But, here are the positives:
- One owner, always garaged
- All service at dealer from which it was purchased (from which I'm looking to buy it)
- Inside and outside look fantastic (from the photos, anyway)
- The owner's other cars are a Panamera and a Macan (the owner traded this in on a brand new Targa 4S)
- I actually like the Carbon Package with the Stone Gray interior
- The dealer has been really great to work with so far

The dealer said it has the original clutch but works fine, though I shouldn't expect more than another 20K out of it... It's not CPO, but they've given it a thorough going over including cleaning and re-lubricating the top mechanism. No mention of re-sprays.

If all goes to plan, I'll be test-driving it Thursday and driving it home Friday (10hr drive from DC back to Lousiville).

Wish me luck!
Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 AM
DougM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you get the car, join our local PCA. Great group that meets monthly. What area of town are you in?
Old 12-09-2015, 12:12 PM
wholewheatoast
5th Gear

Thanks for the reminder, Doug! I'll definitely look into it. I'm over on the east end in J-Town.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:43 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Good Luck!

I love my Targa. It's the best of both worlds, and extremely practical for an almost 400 HP sports car.

Post pics if/when you get it. I started a dedicated targa thread here a while back, feel free to check it out and add to it.

PS- Mine is not blue either...
Old 12-09-2015, 07:12 PM
wholewheatoast
5th Gear

So I was able to finally get back in touch with the dealer (my intent was to put down a deposit) and turns out they already have taken a deposit and the Targa is to be sold on Friday...

...but they have a white 987 Boxster S spec'd out almost the way I'd want it and has 4K mi left on the CPO. Since I'm coming from an '06 S2000, that might be a better analogue.

Honestly, I know I'd be ecstatic with either car, and they are pretty close in performance. I have been flip-flopping back and forth between the two over the past 2 weeks.

It's a decent trip out there, and I'd hate to come back empty handed... lol.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:13 PM
wholewheatoast
5th Gear

Originally Posted by F308gt4
Good Luck!

I love my Targa. It's the best of both worlds, and extremely practical for an almost 400 HP sports car.

Post pics if/when you get it. I started a dedicated targa thread here a while back, feel free to check it out and add to it.

PS- Mine is not blue either...
And I've read through the Targa thread, thanks for starting that! It's great to see what you all are doing with your cars! Hopefully I can join in someday.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:26 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wholewheatoast
...but they have a white 987 Boxster S spec'd out almost the way I'd want it and has 4K mi left on the CPO. Since I'm coming from an '06 S2000, that might be a better analogue.

Honestly, I know I'd be ecstatic with either car, and they are pretty close in performance. I have been flip-flopping back and forth between the two over the past 2 weeks..
Um... 911 Targa 4S and Boxter S "pretty close in performance" -- really? I don't have the specs in front of me but that sounds odd... At any rate, they will certainly "feel" QUITE different (mid-engined Boxter v. 911 rear, plus the AWD of the targa...)

Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Boxter -- it probably IS a better analogue to what you are coming from, and at the end of the day you still have a nice Porsche. That said, there are always others, so if your heart is set on a 911, just keep looking (for a bit at least). So whatever you decide, good luck and enjoy.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:51 PM
wholewheatoast
5th Gear

Oh yes, definitely two very different vehicles with 2 very different personalities. I didn't mean to equate them any more than the lb/hp and acceleration times are close enough (and overall so much better than my S2000) that it's more the want of the 911 looks/cachet vs the newer (and preferred, to me anyway) interior of the better equipped Boxster that I wouldn't feel like I settled if I went for the Boxster.

As an engineer, I had to do a rank between the 2 cars. So I came up with 25 metrics, rated each car 1(low)-3(high) for all 25 metrics. Then weighted each metric 1(low) - 5(high).
- The raw score was 50-55 in favor of the Boxster
- The weighted score was 200-214 in favor of the Boxster
- The weighted/raw rank was 4.0 to 3.9 in favor of the 911
So for me and my personal tastes/preferences, it was dang close, lol. Just an insight to the method to my madness...
Old 12-10-2015, 10:51 AM
tritonic
Intermediate

I tried to convince myself I like the Boxster/Cayman since they can offer better value. Ultimately I decided the 911 was the car I'd grown up loving and would be disappointed with anything else. There's no doubt buying a 997 was the right choice.

The rear engine car is just really fun to drive. I basically ignored interior comparisons because I wanted a sports car not a commuter. And let's face it the 911 silhouette is classic. For me the looking at the Boxster doesn't leave me with that same sense of awe.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:30 AM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wholewheatoast
Oh yes, definitely two very different vehicles with 2 very different personalities. I didn't mean to equate them any more than the lb/hp and acceleration times are close enough (and overall so much better than my S2000) that it's more the want of the 911 looks/cachet vs the newer (and preferred, to me anyway) interior of the better equipped Boxster that I wouldn't feel like I settled if I went for the Boxster.

As an engineer, I had to do a rank between the 2 cars. So I came up with 25 metrics, rated each car 1(low)-3(high) for all 25 metrics. Then weighted each metric 1(low) - 5(high).
- The raw score was 50-55 in favor of the Boxster
- The weighted score was 200-214 in favor of the Boxster
- The weighted/raw rank was 4.0 to 3.9 in favor of the 911
So for me and my personal tastes/preferences, it was dang close, lol. Just an insight to the method to my madness...
As an accountant I do those metrics in an excel spreadsheet! I own a 986 Boxster and a 911s. Both are great cars and you will love both but the dynamic of each car is significantly different. The mid vs rear is a huge difference as the 217 hp vs 385.

The Boxster is pure and a fun car that invites you to go faster and faster. I feel completely comfortable driving at the edge in it. The S is smooth and great but as you push it I do not yet feel comfortable. Granted I have owned the 986 for years and the 911 for months. The 911 is my pick as I feel although my input and control will be more rewarded as I grow comfortable with the car.

You must drive both. P-cars are awesome but u don't want to look back and wish one way or the other. You need to decide the total purpose of the car as they are so different. Good luck with the search and keep us informed.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:33 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by tritonic
I tried to convince myself I like the Boxster/Cayman since they can offer better value. Ultimately I decided the 911 was the car I'd grown up loving and would be disappointed with anything else. There's no doubt buying a 997 was the right choice.

The rear engine car is just really fun to drive. I basically ignored interior comparisons because I wanted a sports car not a commuter. And let's face it the 911 silhouette is classic. For me the looking at the Boxster doesn't leave me with that same sense of awe.
I also came from a 2006 S2000, great car but slightly underpowered. I also considered a 987 boxster/cayman, see my thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...00-owners.html

As titronic mentioned, the 911 was the car I really wanted and I'm so glad I went 911 first! The car is just amazing and doesn't feel much bigger than the 987 but its a lot more useful with a back seat!

I vote 911!
Old 12-10-2015, 12:55 PM
Berosucci
Advanced

Good luck. Look forward to some pics. hopefully you are test driving about now.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:24 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 911 factor is an unresolvable formula in all spreadsheets.

The 911 formula makes all matrices self destruct.

The 911 formula is so complex, it can form the basis for a Unified Theory of Everything, which has long eluded top physicists -- even Einstein.

We know more about quantum physics and alternate universes than we know about the 911 formula.

When it comes to the 911: DO NOT MATH. Drive.

Spreadsheets are for GTRs.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:47 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster

The 911 formula is so complex, it can form the basis for a Unified Theory of Everything, which has long eluded top physicists -- even Einstein.

We know more about quantum physics and alternate universes than we know about the 911 formula.

Old 12-10-2015, 01:49 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster

BAM!

Quick Reply: First time poster, long time reader, soon to be first time Porsche owner! (I hope)