Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 4S - front crankshaft seal replaced - thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 03:17 PM
desmo907
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 4S - front crankshaft seal replaced - thoughts?

I am looking for a ~2007-20010 911 4S Cab and found a 2008 with ~25k miles.
CarFax notes that front crankshaft seal replaced and the driveshaft seal replaced at ~21k miles. From what I read this may be ok (I recall the older models having IMS bearing/seal issues).

Car seems to have been well taken care of by dealer (though I have yet to see it) and the only other odd thing is a tire replacement at 16k miles and the 3 others at 21k miles (figure former was a hazard issue). 2 other tires had been replaced at ~15k miles.

Am waiting to review the option codes. Any where to review the original list to compare to?

Thoughts?
Old 12-06-2015, 01:49 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by desmo907
I am looking for a ~2007-20010 911 4S Cab and found a 2008 with ~25k miles.
CarFax notes that front crankshaft seal replaced and the driveshaft seal replaced at ~21k miles. From what I read this may be ok (I recall the older models having IMS bearing/seal issues).

Car seems to have been well taken care of by dealer (though I have yet to see it) and the only other odd thing is a tire replacement at 16k miles and the 3 others at 21k miles (figure former was a hazard issue). 2 other tires had been replaced at ~15k miles.

Am waiting to review the option codes. Any where to review the original list to compare to?

Thoughts?
The RMS (rear main seal) gets all the press but years ago parts department managers told me they move nearly as many front main seals as rear main seals, so that this car had its front main seal replaced it not that big of a concern.

The work was done recently. Any chance there is any warranty on the seal and the work?

16K miles of tire life it a bit on the low side based on my experience. 20K miles is closer to what I get with my two cars. But 16K miles is not a scary low number.

Tire punctures are a fact of life with these big fat soft wide tires. And almost invariably if one tire gets a puncture and has to be replaced its counterpart on the other side has to be replaced too as the tread depth difference between the new tire and the used but still service tire warrants replacement of the used tire.

You might be able to get the new car pricing info from one of the automobile web sites. I'm thinking www.kbb.com, www.nada.com, or one of the USA car mag web sites.

As always my recommendation is to give any candidate car a thorough used car check out. Get a test ride and then follow with a test drive. Spend some time (an hour...) with the car with the engine running and most of this time on the road experiencing the car in its natural state.

Afterwards you perform a used car check out.

If you still like the car after all of the above and believe you can buy it for an agreeable sum of money than have a PPI done. Among other things this has the car lifted and allows for a close inspection for any leak sign. At this time leaks from the front and rear main seals can be looked for. But don't focus just on these two areas. All gaskets, seals, o-rings, fittings, hoses, hose connections, hydraulic lines, fittings, connections, etc. have to be checked for any leak sign. This includes the front diff, power steering rack, and radiators too.

Quick Reply: 2008 4S - front crankshaft seal replaced - thoughts?