Sponsored by:

Would like to get your thoughts on this car

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Michael Everson
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would like to get your thoughts on this car

Would like to take a look at this Porsche. What do you guys think? Anything I should watch for?
Thanks Mike

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...15729096&Log=0
Old 12-05-2015, 12:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

looks clean if not a bit "base"

not sure what else we can offer based on these pics alone.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Everson
Would like to take a look at this Porsche. What do you guys think? Anything I should watch for?
Thanks Mike

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...15729096&Log=0
Nothing scary in the pics. Body gaps look even. I really like that color.

Go check it out. Kick the tires and light the fires.

You know the car is just a used car so give it a thorough used car check out.

Visit the car cold and be sure the warning lights -- including the CEL -- come on then go off when you start the engine. With the A/C off -- you test this later -- let the engine idle and warm up some.

Walk around the car but have the engine compartment lid open and keep an ear tuned to the engine. You are listening for any scary noises. Rhythmic ticking, knocking, buzzing, groaning, squeaking, hissing noises.

The engine may start out a bit rough -- but not very rough -- but it should quickly settle down to a pretty smooth idle and get nice and smooth when the cold idle speed drops to near hot idle speed.

Let the engine idle for a while, 10 minutes or so, then have the seller take you on a test ride. The route should be 15 miles or so long and give the driver a chance to demo the car like you intend to use it. Pay attention to the car, so this means you stay off the cell phone and keep chatter to a minimum.

Back at the starting point then you take the car out as the driver and drive the same route and drive the car the same way.

It is important you experience the car in its natural state with the engine running and the car on the road.

If after all of the above you still like the car then give it a thorough used car check out. Using the CPO check list is a good start. You can't do all the checks/tests but you can do a number of them and if the car makes it through this with flying colors the car is worthy of a PPI if you believe you can buy the car for a reasonable sum of money.

The PPI among other things gets the car in the air and allows a close inspection for any leak sign. This is one of the reasons why you want to have the engine running -- for about an hour including idle time before, between, and after the test ride/drives -- and the car on the road.

Ideally you would want to know what servicing the car has had and what is due so you can estimate what it is going to cost to bring the car up to date on its servicing and make an allowance in this in your offer, if you decide of course the car is worth owning.

I sort of expect you'll end up with this car -- but be thorough in your check out -- and let me say this: There is always another car. Do not be afraid to walk away if you find something scary.

Happy shopping.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

Agreed. I looks to be in good shape. It's a great color with nice wheels. It has navigation, sport steering wheel, and a few other interior upgrades, but other than that it looks to be very lightly equipped.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:59 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Used is the time to get upgrades. I understand why buying new/base/lightly equipped makes sense, but once a model is years old, bam, it's time to get some of them very expensive upgrades courtesy of serious depreciation.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:22 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

A review of the CarFax indicates that car has seen plenty of winter driving, which means pay attention to what's going on underneath the car. Nice looking cars from the mid-west and northeast can look great on the interior and the pretty exterior. They can be bought for less money because they've been exposed to the corrosive effects of what's on the roads during the winter. A PPI will only tell you so much about what's going on in terms of corrosion because they can't see everything. If you are looking for a "keeper" I'd look for a car that spent its time in a dry state, or at least a no-snow state. If you're going to flip it in two years, then take advantage of the lower prices and buy a winter driven car - as long as you like the color/options and results of the PPI.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:37 PM
Michael Everson
Rennlist Member

Going to look at it tomorrow. Thanks for all the advice. After doing a bunch of research, sounds like a might be better off with a 997.2 I didn't realize the early 997s still could fail due to the IMS Also I will be likely trading in my 07 Z06 towards any Porsche I buy. Still not sure I am ready to give that car up. Lots of car for the money.
Mike
Old 12-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Mre21
AutoX

Sport seats are a great upgrade and something I definitely miss in mine, but the seat ventilation option is key and wasn't available with sport seats until the 991. I'm a big fan of those wheels, stepdad's 997.1 is so equipped, but for sure a pita to keep clean. I'd hold out for a full leather interior, just raises up the dash stroking bar quite a bit, otherwise looks great!

Quick Reply: Would like to get your thoughts on this car