Sponsored by:

Bose rear subwoofer amp bypass for 997.1 c2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 12:43 PM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Having trouble understanding where you're getting the noise and where you're not. Part of my confusion is what you're connecting the headphones to. What you call main amp outputs, those are called speaker terminals. Main amp, power amp, whatever, they drive speakers. Pre-amp (head unit) outputs provide signal to the amps. So the signal path goes Source (usually built into head unit), pre-amp (built into head unit), crossovers (optional), power amps, speakers. Noise can come in at any point, but downstream noise will not be heard upstream. So keep using your headphones. Keep connecting them downstream. When you go from no noise to noise, start checking every connection. You're on the right track just keep narrowing it down.
I actually started downstream at the sub connections and worked my way back to the main amp, then to the head unit. Clean signals coming out of the main amp, so preamp (head unit) output signal (via RCA cables must be OK.

I still believe its the amp in the sub enclosure causing the problem, or maybe the ground point to it. Does anyone know where that particular ground point might be located in the car?
Old 12-09-2015, 07:59 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

Does it matter? All you need to test is connect the amp to a good ground. Run a wire from the battery terminal, for example. Then if the noise is still there you know its nothing to do with the ground. In checking the ground, don't forget to check the power line as well.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:26 AM
jlkline
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Problem solved!

Problem solved!

OK, I decided to take the car back into the shop that installed the aftermarket amp. what they found was that they connected the speaker outputs of the main amp to the inputs of the sub woofer. The result was way too much power or voltage I guess going into the sub woofer amp creating the tea whistle noise. Not a grounding problem or any other wiring involved. They fixed it by splitting the subwoofer RCA signal from the head unit before it got to the amp sending that split 4 V signal directly to sub woofer which is how it should've been wired in the first place.
problem solved! That said, I did end up buying a separate sub woofer on eBay so if anybody is interested in buying that from me let me know before I repost it to eBay.
Old 11-09-2023, 09:10 AM
QwikKotaTX
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 126 Posts

Does anyone know where the wires that are connected to the rear shelf sub terminate? Are they behind the head unit or in the frunk?

Quick Reply: Bose rear subwoofer amp bypass for 997.1 c2