911 997 loses power in 1st gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2015, 12:02 PM
wantucka
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 997 loses power in 1st gear

All,

I'm new to this forum and have searched the archives in order to try and solve a new issue I'm having. I understand it's maybe upsetting to some if a newbie posts something that's already been posted...I apologize up front if this is the case but I could not find the same issue.

I have a 2005 C2S (50K miles) and here is my issue. It just started about two days ago. I use my car as a daily driver, however, last week I went out of town for work...the car maybe sat 4 days without being driven. When I got back, I took the car out for a drive, knowing that I needed to keep the battery in good condition. When out of my driveway, I was in first gear...as I slowly accelerated, the car seemed to stop accelerating abruptly. The car did not stall or turn off...it just didn't go when I pushed on the pedal. I let off the gas, revved it then reapplied the gas pedal and it accelerated fine. I though that's odd. That was the only time it happened that day (only took it for a short drive). The next day, it did it again. Shortly after start up, I was at a light...I was in first, and when the light turned green, I accelerated and at about 2000 to 2500 rpm the car just cut out again and stopped accelerating...again, the car did not turn off. It has only happened in first gear and it doesn't seem to happen when the car is warm. The car pulls well in all gears the rest of the time. (Clutch was replaced about 3k miles ago). I live in San Antonio, so it's in the 60s hear so I don't think cold weather is the issue. Does anyone know what may be going on? I read on other posts that the battery could be the issue, but it starts up fine and I don't have any other indications that it is the battery. I'm just getting a little concerned...this is my first Porsche. I thank you all for your help in advance!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:20 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Could be a number of things, too early to really say. Cracked coil packs causing misfires (common), a vacuum leak (harder to diagnose), bad crankshaft position sensor (usually a starting issue, not hesitation issues), grounding issues on fuel pump, loose oil or gas cap, dirty MAF, bad gas, etc.

I'd start by pulling any OBDII error codes. Generic readers might see something. You would have better luck with Durametric though, or the OEM PIWIS, as these can show Porsche specific codes. If you don't have a Durametric cable maybe someone nearby in San Antonio can help.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Sounds similar to the problem I've experienced - take a look at this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...=797639&page=3
Old 11-25-2015, 03:37 PM
wantucka
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Semi/NZS, thanks for the reply and help. I read the post you directed me too...it is similar to my case however, mine only happens on occasion in first gear...plus I have a manual transition so none of the PDK issues happen in my case. I just bought some fuel cleaner and will go to a different gas station to give her some new gas. Hopefully that will help. I have a Porsche buddy here and he said it could be a (cold?) sensor going bad or was bad but I probably didn't notice it because it just now started to get cold in the mornings. I might have to unfortunately go to the Porsche Dealer because I don't have any code readers...
Old 11-25-2015, 03:39 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Brake pedal switch

Quick Reply: 911 997 loses power in 1st gear