Sponsored by:

Could use some help pls

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:39 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Could use some help pls

My sons was putting on my winters and when he removed the last wheel the bolt spacing shifted so now the bolts don't fit. Any ideas why this happened and how to resolve?? Obviously can't move the car. Took off the handbrake and tried to tap the cover to rotate it but this didn't work. I didn't even know these pieces moved

And I put a safety jack under what appears to be the end of the motor. Its the only place I could get it to fit but wanted something in case the jack let's go for whatever reason. No weight on it now but don't know if this is a safe spot

Help! Thanks
Attached Images   
Old 11-21-2015, 03:46 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,435 Likes on 897 Posts

It appears that the screws that attach the rotor to the hub are missing. Your rotor was essentially "press-fit" onto the hub, but not attached to it. It was rotated when your wheel was removed and it isn't aligned properly any longer. Your wheel bolts were holding it in place.

It would seem that the solution is to remove the rotor, align it properly, and then attach it to the hub with the proper mounting screws. You may be able to rotate the rotor without removing it.
Old 11-21-2015, 03:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks but how would I remove the rotor? Or loosen it to rotate/align?
Old 11-21-2015, 04:00 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Normal when the small holding screws are gone.
But not a problem at all, just wiggle-push left/right with a round screw driver in one of the small holes. Don't be afraid to use some force, nothing can brake.

No need to remove anything. Of course you can use the big (bolt) holes as well but than you need a thicker lever.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM
vern1
Drifting

I tried that but couldn't move it. I took a hammer with a screwdriver to the bottom of the metal hole and gave it a few good wacks and nothing
Old 11-21-2015, 04:05 PM
vern1
Drifting

And I am worried about damaging the threads
Old 11-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

First try to use a rubber mallot to hammer the rotor hat (where the flat surface mounts to the wheel hub) and rock the rotor clockwise and anti clockwise to see if you can loosen it. It may need a good tap but don't go crazy.

If that doesn't work, you may need to remove the steel pin and spring that hold the pads and use a plier to spread the pads a little bit.

Also do not place the jack stand where it is or anywhere else on the engine. You can place it at the rear cross member close to where the control arm is attached to.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:07 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Smack the hub face of the rotor a few times with a nice sized hammer.

Then try realigning the holes.

or

Put up both rear wheels in the air.
press the brakes lightly
slowly come off the clutch with no gas until the holes line up. This will likely be tough to get right, but if you really can't find another way.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Tap on the face of hub around the entire bolt pattern not hammer tap. Place a screwdriver or a round punch against the edge of the hub bolt hole and tap the hub back into alignment. Have your son depress the brake while you are getting things realigned. If you have a hair dryer you may heat things up before you begin working on it. Cheers and let us know it you have any further problems.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:19 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Tap on the face of hub around the entire bolt pattern not hammer tap. Place a screwdriver or a round punch against the edge of the hub bolt hole and tap the hub back into alignment. Have your son depress the brake while you are getting things realigned. If you have a hair dryer you may heat things up before you begin working on it. Cheers and let us know it you have any further problems.
hair dryer won't do anything.

propane torch doesn't get that hot, but it will help.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:22 PM
vern1
Drifting

Thanks all!! I broke a screwdriver but with a fair amount of force the rotor moved enough to realign so that the bolts fit!

Guess I should get some of those screws so this doesn't happen again
Old 11-21-2015, 04:33 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

These brake rotors slide right on. Its a snug fit but not so tight it should be this big a deal getting it to move. But, usually when trying to remove one you first remove the brake caliper. So I'm wondering if its the brake preventing movement?

With the brake off, use a large screw driver to pry the brake pads a little bit apart. That should eliminate any binding and allow the rotor to move on the hub.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:39 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
Thanks all!! I broke a screwdriver but with a fair amount of force the rotor moved enough to realign so that the bolts fit!

Oh well then, never mind!

But yes, those screws really just hold the rotor in place and keep it from moving like it did when the wheel is off. When the wheel is on its all lug bolts, the screws really do nothing. Which is why you could drive around so long without them. You could even if you wanted remove one from one or two other wheels (assuming they still have them!) and use on this one. One or two screws is all it takes. That all 3 are missing makes me think the mechanic totally spaced on replacing them when mounting the rotor.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Yes thanks again. I didn't notice the other side as my boy had already replaced the wheel but will check in the spring and make sure they all have at least a couple of screws

Thanks everyone again. Didn't know how long I was going to have it on the jack and now its all done!
Old 11-21-2015, 09:55 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1

Appears to be a rear brake. If so the rotor would have moved with less effort if you had released the parking brake.

Quick Reply: Could use some help pls