Sponsored by:

Jumping Ship,,,maybe

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:19 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jumping Ship,,,maybe

I've been contemplating a change and looking for experiences of regret or opposite. Situational analysis; Own my first P for two years (09 blk, base cab, pdk, lot's of other options). Rarely drive it unless really in the mood. Bored with pdk and cleaning it. Trying to decide if I should "one up" to a 997.2 S 6 sp or one down (sideways?) to a newer 981 S (Bx or Cym) again manual. 997.2 S manual feels like the sweet spot right now (not a 991). 981 could be more fun for frequent use (maybe less conspicuous, maybe less worry about "protecting" it). Don't think I'd pay for a 981 GTS or 4. Better choices in 997.2 S's than GTS' in my budget. The 981 forum folks (very helpful) echoed a resounding thumbs up for the "go kart" feel. Can't have both so, is the loss of "umph" going to haunt me? I have driven both and you definitely can feel the torque on the 997.2 S and the light cornering of the 981. Thoughts and experiences are appreciated.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:46 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There have been a lot of posts on the forums regarding "what should I get". Well, you'll get a lot of different opinions. The bottom line is always establish your price point, drive 'em, decide when and how you're going to drive 'em, and finally, buy the one that makes YOU happy. Some are only happy for six months and sell while others hit it right and keep the car for years……
Old 11-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Skip and get the new Shelby GT350 if you can find one - blows everything you mentioned off the map - keep a Porsche too - don't trade one for the other.
Old 11-15-2015, 09:51 PM
j beede
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure what this means: "Bored with pdk and cleaning it."
Old 11-15-2015, 10:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by j beede
Not sure what this means: "Bored with pdk and cleaning it."
hes bored of the transmission and is tired of cleaning a black car.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:53 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting question. As I analyze your post I think you dont like black and simply dont enjoy driving because of the PDK. I have never driven a PDK car but I just cannot see myself in one. I came from a Shelby GT500 with 662 horsepower that I just did not enjoy driving. After a few times of driving my wife's 986 instead of the Shelby I realized that for me driving was the optimum enjoyment and decided to pursue my first 911 but not first P-Car. I looked at a couple of Caymans but they just were not 911's and maybe I just watch too much Top Gear.

After a couple of months I feel the 997.2 S with the manual is gonna fill the bill for me. The 986 is more "go-kart" but it severly lacks in power of the 997. I just dont think drving is all about go-kart feel and I am anxious with more seat time in my baby. Remember the GoKarts in Pigeon Forge are not any fun if you can never lift the throttle. About to go up for the winter but I am hoping for an early run at VIR to really find out if there is no substitute.

Good luck with your decision and keep us informed.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:58 PM
alexaqui
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I purchased my 997.2 4S coming from a Cayman S. I could not see myself going back to a Cayman unless it is to be a dedicated track car.
Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

OP: You make no mention of where you live or what your driving environment is like. Living at the edge of the Hill Country in Texas I have a blast getting out of town into the winding country roads. For the best experience I have to head out very early in the morning before traffic bogs everything down. For a greater challenge I also occasionally do autocross. I don't get bored with my PDK in these situations since I have other challenges to face despite a lifetime of driving manual trannies.

My point is... if your area presents an environment where you can get out and enjoy the car more the way it was designed for then give it a try. If you aren't fortunate enough to be in an area where you have access to curvy roads or autocross, then it is more understandable that you'd need to get your thrills via raw straight-line power and rowing through the shifter. I don't see how a switch to a Cayman would help you if this is the case though.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

My first vote would be to get a 997.2 with a manual, I love mine.

Second, if I didn't have the need for the backseat I might be driving a 981 (Boxster or Cayman) because they look sick, handle great, and if you get an S you are similar hp/weight ratio as a 911.
Old 11-16-2015, 02:54 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Personal preference is the key, right. I waited my whole life to be in a position to attain my 911. So for me, it is about the whole package. For you, it sounds different.

First question: Why do you "rarely drive it unless I am in the mood"? What's rarely...once a week, month, etc. While i can't drive it everyday due to work, I try to drive it every opportunity i get. This year only 3k miles but enjoyed every one of them.

What mood do you need to be in? ... good, bad, sporty, etc...mine puts me in a good mood and i look forward to getting to my drive home because of it. I realize a car won't do this for everyone, but I think that is what Porsche is all about...and maybe the 981 options will do it for you.

Final thought, and its very controversial, is the whole PDK thing. I love shifting gears and had manuals my whole younger life, including the 968 I owned in the mid 90s. But, I figured i could get the best of both worlds since I hoped i would be using this as a daily driver so it seemed to make sense -- we have terrible beltway traffic in DC. Yet, I have not been bored with my pdk. I switched out the steering wheel for a paddleshifter wheel and rarely leave the 911 in auto. The way i look at it is that i have the benefits of the manual without having to clutch. I realize that maybe the thing you are missing so no judgements here. Just my own justifications for my own decisions. There are days that i wonder what it would be like to clutch shift, but 99% of the time, I have a smile on my face no matter how the shifting is going...especially when shifting at 6000 rpm. As an aside, my brother has a DB9 and his sons tell him "its ok, but it isn't a 911 and is not as fast as your car Uncle. He never drives it into the higher RPMs"...so i joked to my brother that "life doesn't start until 4k RPMs."

Anyway, ramblings from koolaid drinking fool. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by secondshot; 11-16-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 04:31 PM
1GoodTurn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for replies. Can't really say I'd leave Porsche for a Shelby although I've heard it's awesome. Yes I meant bored with the PDK and bored with having to clean the car EVERY time I drive it (maybe I'm too picky about it). Hence my needing to be "in the mood" because the fun isn't over until it's all cleaned up. And it usually winds up to be once every two weeks for 30 - 40 minutes (wrong, just wrong way to own a P car).

StormRune, I do have some nice curvy country roads (central NC) and for a few minutes I get the "push the button" thing, but I guess it's not until I reach "handcuff" speeds that I feel that way. Drove a Box S with paddles just to see if I should just swap the wheel but, was still lukewarm about it. Looking for more fun from 0-70, not just 70-"refuse to say on the grounds that I might incriminate myself."

And secondshot, I'm right there with you. Can't drive it to work for fear of the wrong impression, especially with customers. Waited my whole life to get this (after a handful of American muscle cars when I was a kid in the 70's) and it feels sort of anti-climatic. Wrong, wrong, wrong way to own one!

Thanks again and more feedback from those who have switched one way or the other would be appreciated. Thanks alexaqui!
Old 11-16-2015, 05:27 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

1GoodTurn, it sounds like you just need to drive the car more. I understand not driving it to work due to impression on customers/coworkers (even though I drive mine). But as far as needing to clean it every time you drive... just let it get a little dirty or a lot dirty, and relax and enjoy your dream!

Mine is not a DD but I have put as many miles on it in my 4 months of ownership as I have put on my dd. With my busy schedule and having a job/wife/kid I only get to give it a good wash every 2-4 weeks, but its ok, I'd rather drive a dirty 911 than my RAV4.

If you go with a different car, get the manual transmission and a color that is easier to care for like silver.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:20 PM
WV997S
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1GoodTurn
Thanks to all for replies. Can't really say I'd leave Porsche for a Shelby although I've heard it's awesome. Yes I meant bored with the PDK and bored with having to clean the car EVERY time I drive it (maybe I'm too picky about it). Hence my needing to be "in the mood" because the fun isn't over until it's all cleaned up. And it usually winds up to be once every two weeks for 30 - 40 minutes (wrong, just wrong way to own a P car).

StormRune, I do have some nice curvy country roads (central NC) and for a few minutes I get the "push the button" thing, but I guess it's not until I reach "handcuff" speeds that I feel that way. Drove a Box S with paddles just to see if I should just swap the wheel but, was still lukewarm about it. Looking for more fun from 0-70, not just 70-"refuse to say on the grounds that I might incriminate myself."

And secondshot, I'm right there with you. Can't drive it to work for fear of the wrong impression, especially with customers. Waited my whole life to get this (after a handful of American muscle cars when I was a kid in the 70's) and it feels sort of anti-climatic. Wrong, wrong, wrong way to own one!

Thanks again and more feedback from those who have switched one way or the other would be appreciated. Thanks alexaqui!
If I wanted 0-70 I would have kept the GT500.
Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

I don't understand the not wanting to drive a car to work because of the impression it leaves or how it's interpreted. Unless you're a trust fund kid, what's wrong with portraying that you work hard, are good at whatever it is you do, and appreciate quality, and are a car enthusiast and Porsche fan. In my opinion it shows what others just starting out can achieve with hard work and life's too short to spend time in boring cars. I drive mine to customer meetings, to the airport, and lots of other places. Why are you concerned about what others think - does that also change the clothes you wear, who your friends are, and what sports teams you cheer for?

If you don't like something about your car, get a different one you can drive and enjoy more often.
Old 11-16-2015, 11:22 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I agree with Petza914.

I'm one of only a couple at the place I work with this level of car. No one seems to begrudge me having it. Instead, quite a few folks over time have commented that seeing how I successfully managed to save and achieve this level of success (car and otherwise) inspires them to work harder, aspire to greater responsibility, and save more when younger for their future. The car guys seem to love it and really enjoy it when we take it out for a vigorous drive to lunch places. (BTW, I most often drive a pickup truck in to work, but can't seem to go too long between Porsche runs)

I think as long as you aren't lording it in over other people that very few will have a problem with you driving it in... and for the few that may the problem is on their side and not yours. When in the video game industry I had a boss with a Ferrari Modena and another with a top-end AMG Mercedes while I drove a mere Corvette. I never had negative feelings about them for it... I just looked forward to the rare chance when I got to ride along!

I'd join the vote for driving it much more frequently and getting more joy out your car.

Quick Reply: Jumping Ship,,,maybe