Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumping Ship,,,maybe

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015 | 06:47 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WV997S
Thats a great idea about an older 911, that may be your answer.

I also understand the perception that people have of how much money you spend to buy a 911, but the truth of the matter is that my F-150 stickered for more money than paid for my 2009 S. I have often told people that I would trade for their truck, vacation house etc and that usually works to help them understand.
Yes, most people see the Porsche and think you just dropped $100k on it. Nobody cared when I bought my wife new Highlander Limited with an MSRP over $40k but when I bought a used Porsche for that amount they all the sudden think I'm loaded or made a poor financial decision or whatever... screw them, I didn't get the car for a status symbol or for anything other than my own personal enjoyment!!!

When I had my S2000 (paid $25,000 slightly used) and my Lexus ES300 (paid $10,500 used) my sister gave me crap because I spent too much on my cars - I countered with how she spent $40k on a loaded Honda mini-van - she spent more than I had on two cars but failed to realize it until I pointed it out. And some SUVs trolling around my suburban area cost more than the $78k MSRP on my 911, just saying.
Old 11-18-2015 | 07:19 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ace37
Do you have some conversational trick you can play to avoid the negative perceptions?
Mine is pretty simple: "I don't have any kids."
Old 11-18-2015 | 08:25 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by ace37
Sounds like you want a manual, that much is pretty clear, and so is the solution.

Boxsters/Caymans don't have the same snob appeal; is that enough to make it acceptable to drive to work, or would you still feel compromised?

Also, how about older classic 911s, do they hold a lot of appeal to you? An old classic isn't cheap but doesn't necessarily get perceived as expensive or high status either, and it could create discussions about passions with customers that might mitigate some of the negative stigma you're concerned about. A newer one would more often be assumed a status symbol, and when that happens you'd often get no opportunity to prove otherwise.
__

I'm a lead aerospace engineer for a big firm, and while it's just a toy to me, my 911 might be the highest "status" car at my office complex. Most don't care one bit about it, a few know me to be a huge car nut and are happy for me about the cool toy, and a small few are jealous of the status symbol. I can usually avoid or divert the perception issues though: my wife is a physician, so despite her currently being a relatively low-paid fellow, I reply to the "wow, expensive" comments by saying the wife bought it for me. I then get a shrug with a response like "oh yeah he married a doctor, that's the life...."

Do you have some conversational trick you can play to avoid the negative perceptions? While your business is growing it may come in handy, and not just for the car.
I apoligize to no one about my 911. When they ask how I bought this or my other cars I tell them by doing back to back combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan as a military contractor - they shut up pretty quick

Somebody called me a "Rich *******" in town earlier this year in the 911 - it's was so awesome what an honor I thought. So I told my co-workers (also military contractors) and now call me Rich *******. It's fantastic
Old 11-19-2015 | 09:28 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

if you want to enjoy 0-70mph, get yourself a G-50 87-89 911.

Quick Reply: Jumping Ship,,,maybe