Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone separate leather cover from shift knob?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015 | 04:31 PM
murphthelab
Track Day

Default Anyone separate leather cover from shift ****?

997.1 C4S
My lever shift **** cover is beat up. I found a good condition replacement from a parted-out 911. Just the leather. I also researched the procedure to remove the shift **** and cover. So I'm good there.

However, it appears the **** and cover come as one unit when sold. Can't see an easy way to separate the two so I can replace just the leather. I don't want to replace the **** because it is a special Makassar unit that ties to the rest of the interior decor.

Local P-dealer said he thinks the two pieces are glued and you need to basically cut it to remove them from each other. That would suck.

Anyone out there in Renn-land ever tackle this one?
Old 10-30-2015 | 04:44 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I did... and I have a macassar shifter.

I gotta think about this because it has been a while. First, don't cut it!!

See here for more info... under my posts, I talked about this issue.. .read up.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-1-of-5-a.html

For me, it just separated by accident and I had a heck of a time getting it back together as leather isn't machined and has its own mind. IIRC, turn the hood/**** inside out and there is a retaining ring of some sort in there. When you get your unit, pay very very close attention as to how it is assembled.... I just remember having a heck of a time putting it all back together.

Good news, no cutting and it is designed to be unistalled, reinstalled.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-30-2015 | 05:35 PM
murphthelab
Track Day

Hi Bruce (of Philly, land of my wife's family). Thanks for the response. The "accidental" separation picture helped me find a place to carefully insert a screwdriver and get it uncoupled.
Old 10-30-2015 | 06:45 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Its a pain in the butt to get it assembled just right as you have to use a twist motion to lock the collar into the **** and then push the know onto the shifter shaft. Do that took a while.

Quick Reply: Anyone separate leather cover from shift knob?