Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving on? 997 to new 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:06 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts

You should have no problem finding a very nice 996 for well under your budget. Unlike all the other options you (and everyone else) are considering, it will keep you in a 911, enjoying driving a driver's car, without maintenance worries because it is so far under budget your remaining funds will self-insure that, you will have no worries about piling on the miles because, hey, its a 996. On top of all that you will be buying at rock-bottom depreciation a car which over your few years of use will be far more likely to go up in value where everything else you're considering can only go down.

You will still need to leave the forum immediately (and move to 996) but you'll cement your Porschephile credentials and learn the 911 (any 911) (all 911's) is not "just" a car. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:11 PM
guardsred997
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

You can lease an econo car with great options and a quiet and fuel efficient ride for easily under $200 a month. I have a prius for $190 a month exactly for this reason. Keep the 997 and get a commuter car. Done. You have your fun car (997) and your cheap, reliable and fuel efficient econo car (whatever is a cheap deal).

Last edited by guardsred997; 10-26-2015 at 07:12 PM. Reason: because
Old 10-26-2015, 07:48 PM
airboxster
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel the same. Drive a 87 Targa in the sunshine and a 08 997.1 -4 all other times. Time to move on. 80000 + miles. Driven five Canadian winters and not let anyone plow into me. But the warranty was up last year and things need fixing. The 997 is the best modern car I have every owed. Pains me to let it go. I need a winter car.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:53 PM
braymond52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HazemG
Dream garage!!!!! Beautiful .2, S model... and then the amazing 4runner.

I do love adventure travel and the ability to GET OUTDOORS! I wish I could financially justify (and afford) both. I am in a promising career, and if all goes well, in a year or two I will be able to have both.

I am leaning towards the 4runner due to the bulletproof reliability (not sure I have this confidence in the cayenne) cheap parts, easy to maintain aspect.

Andy- Is there a sense of community for the 4runner? I used to be active on t4r.org but would love a local scene similar to the one porsche enthusiasts have crafted.

I had a gen 4 4runner (two actually, one 2004 and another 2006 for the faceilfted features) and LOVE the smooth ride. I did an extended test drive with the 2016 and while a bit underpowered, it drove remarkably well otherwise. Comfort, quiet, and capable.
I've got an Acura MDX in my garage next to my 997. The MDX rides like a car, has decent performance, hauls 7 people, will hold 10" length lumber and has been rock solid reliable. It's not an off road vehicle but handles snow and gravel very well. So, it's my winter vehicle and the one I will take places I don't want to take the 997.

IMO, unless you need more off road capability, I'll take my MDX for everyday use.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:04 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
The first generation Cayennes (955) and the refreshed version (957) are considered to be more capable off-road than the current generation (958). The original Cayenne was targeted at Range Rover buyers, and off-road capability was a must for this group. As the Cayenne evolved and the luxury SUV market grew, the newer models became more focused on street performance and comfort.
I agree the first generation Cayenne had some of the goods you'd want in an offroader - proper low range xfer case and locking diffs, for example. At the same time, they came with a collapsible donut spare tire - not exactly something that's gonna get you back to the tarmac when you're in the middle of Death Valley and one (or more) of your super low profile street tires gets shredded by all the sharp rocks.

It's pretty tough to beat a Toyota (4Runner, Land Cruiser) when it comes to choosing a great all-around package that's comfortable, durable and technically capable - IF you're the adventurous sort who likes to get off the grid.

Sometimes I think about selling my 4Runner for something more economical or fun to drive on a daily basis but then I think about all the possible places I can no longer visit because now they become inaccessible...

Old 10-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,524 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by andy92782
I agree the first generation Cayenne had some of the goods you'd want in an offroader - proper low range xfer case and locking diffs, for example. At the same time, they came with a collapsible donut spare tire - not exactly something that's gonna get you back to the tarmac when you're in the middle of Death Valley and one (or more) of your super low profile street tires gets shredded by all the sharp rocks.

It's pretty tough to beat a Toyota (4Runner, Land Cruiser) when it comes to choosing a great all-around package that's comfortable, durable and technically capable - IF you're the adventurous sort who likes to get off the grid.

Sometimes I think about selling my 4Runner for something more economical or fun to drive on a daily basis but then I think about all the possible places I can no longer visit because now they become inaccessible...

I agree. There was an optional full-sized spare tire mounted on a carrier on the rear hatch. I've seen it a few times. There was also a rare option called the Advanced Offroad Technology Package. It included height-adjustable air suspension as well as a switch to electronically decouple the anti-roll bars and increase suspension travel by a few more inches. I think the Transsiberia models of the Cayenne had some additional off-road equipment too (mostly skid plates and lights, but I think you may have been able to get a snorkel too). I was just throwing it out there in case the OP wanted to stay in a Porsche.

I had a HUMMER before the Cayenne, and that vehicle was better than my Cayenne in off-road situations.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 PM
too tall
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me begin with this: I will never not have a Porsche. We are also owners of a new 4Runner and my friend that is a fine vehicle. We got it with the upscale wheels and chrome and get many compliments. That truck is a pleasure to drive. Resale, should you ever decide to, is a no brainer. Any good 4Runner is easy to sell.

Sorry about your P car brother. It will come around.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:06 PM
alleykat
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you need a daily vehicle then buy a cash car like a civic. I don't like being stuck in traffic in the 911 but no way I would trade it in for an SUV.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:32 AM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's sort out the issues:
#1 Clearly, you don't love this particular 911.
#2 A 911 does not suit your daily driving needs.
Step #1: Sell this 911, and be prepared to live with what you'll miss about it, and reminding yourself why you sold it to ease the pain. No reason to keep a 911 you don't like, just know that a 997.1 is considerably cheaper than a 997.2 or a 991. And if driving the 991 is what convinced you that a 911 is for you, then of course you don't like the 997, it is a WAY different car, and you probably won't like the 997.2 either. (BTW, a BT system that works with your current 911 costs about $700 installed). A salesman recently said to me, "don't buy the price, buy the car." Keep in mind you were driving a $80K+ car when you decided to buy a $35K 997.
Step #2: Buy a daily driver that will work for you.
Step #3: Keep looking for that perfect-for-you 911, and when you can afford to buy it, you will.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:10 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 997 S Cab which I'm not selling. I also had a 2010 4 Runner great very reliable truck my third. Boring! I traded it in for a 2015 Cayenne S. I love it and it is now my daily driver winter or summer. What a blast air susp,PDCC and PTV made it handle fantastic. With 420 hp it is faster than the 1999 996 I used to have. The only downside it was $95K .
Worth every penny
Old 10-27-2015, 02:14 AM
HazemG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Let's sort out the issues:
#1 Clearly, you don't love this particular 911.
#2 A 911 does not suit your daily driving needs.
Step #1: Sell this 911, and be prepared to live with what you'll miss about it, and reminding yourself why you sold it to ease the pain. No reason to keep a 911 you don't like, just know that a 997.1 is considerably cheaper than a 997.2 or a 991. And if driving the 991 is what convinced you that a 911 is for you, then of course you don't like the 997, it is a WAY different car, and you probably won't like the 997.2 either. (BTW, a BT system that works with your current 911 costs about $700 installed). A salesman recently said to me, "don't buy the price, buy the car." Keep in mind you were driving a $80K+ car when you decided to buy a $35K 997.
Step #2: Buy a daily driver that will work for you.
Step #3: Keep looking for that perfect-for-you 911, and when you can afford to buy it, you will.

Fisher-

I sincerely appreciate this well thought out response/advice. You bring up a very valid point with #1... one that I hadn't really realized.

I feel like you're speaking from experience because of how well you are empathizing with my current situation. I will 100% have seller's remorse. I know that already.. reminding myself of why I sold or traded out will be a great way to cope with that.

Again- in an ideal world I'd have a .2 or 991, and I hope that in the near future, It will be a reality.. hopefully alongside the 4Runner.

So in essence.. I'm facing two things.. which you have outlined, and practically speaking, the right call is the more suitable daily driver. What I'm not ready for is seeing a 911 of ANY generation go down the road, and having that sunken feeling in my stomach/heart.

*****To all- I have been bit by the Porsche bug... There truly is no substitute. I had always dreamed of having a lamborghini or Audi R8 (I've been fortunate enough to rent them) but after having rented both an R8 and a 991 base (at the same time with my brother and a friend) for a couple weeks in Miami.. I found myself asking valet for the 991 over the R8 7 times out of 10.

Since then, I've studied up, soaked up as much info as I can... and have new dream cars.. 991 GT3, and 993 Turbo. I love the history the 911 has.. the character.. the (relative) dependability, the handling, feel and subtle almost understated style (compared to the italians).

I hope to put a rennlist sticker on the 4Runner should I go through with this. Great group of guys.

I feel ridiculous for having such an emotional connection to this car. The fact of the matter is I am extremely blessed and lucky to have this dilemma- when there are people that don't have the ability to purchase even a beater. I hope these scattered thoughts somehow made for a comprehendible post, it's past my bedtime and I'm a possible soon to be Porsche Widower.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 AM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the 997. Get a used 4Runner.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Had a 955 Cayenne S, Great truck. I also had a Jeep Wrangler Jk 4 door, loved it. Cheap and easy to work on. I would get a Jeep before the 4 runner but I would get the Cayenne before the Jeep. get a good used cayenne S and save some money quickly over the New Yota that way you can get back into a 997 or 991 quicker
Old 10-27-2015, 10:52 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With a mild am't of effort and long-term budgeting in mind, it's unlikely that a beater car isn't an option.

Saving wear and tear on an expensive auto, and then sliding that into a Fri-Sun driver, while you have a Mon - Thurs beater car has been working for me since 2000. Keeping an older commuter car and reserving my premium car for Fri-Sun has been the best decision of my motoring life.

Replacing tires, brakes and misc items on a avg car is a lot cheaper, and the older commuter car, especially if it is a Toyota or Honda or other desirable car, might not actually lose any value.

For example, I drove a 2004 Celica GTS as my commuter car. Bought it for 6500 bucks. Drove it two years... got 32 MPG... replaced one belt.... and sold it for 6300 bucks two years later with 132,000 miles on it.

Think about it.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:15 AM
HazemG
Intermediate

Well guys... my time in a 911 (pictured below) has come to a temporary hold. I traded it in yesterday for the 16 4Runner and believe I made the right call (in my situation).

I will be back for a 911 (this time DEFINITELY an S and MAYBE a 997.2 or 991. That is certain. When, well, I hope in the next 1.5 years, but that is all contingent on how business goes.

Here's my new rig. I plan on getting a level kit and some mild AT tires. Hope you guys don't think it's too ugly. I miss the 911 terribly, but this is more practical for me at this time.

Quick Reply: Moving on? 997 to new 4Runner