997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2016 | 03:36 PM
Whytar
5th Gear

I don't believe there is a height difference between PASM and non-PASM equipped cars in S version. There is a Sports Suspension option that sits the car 20mm lower however.
Old 03-17-2016 | 05:31 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whytar
I don't believe there is a height difference between PASM and non-PASM equipped cars in S version. There is a Sports Suspension option that sits the car 20mm lower however.
In Canada and the U.S., a 997 Carrera S came only with PASM. Is it different in Europe? Was PASM not standard on an "S?"
Old 03-20-2016 | 01:34 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mikes70
Bump for easier finding as i''m getting ready to place an order and still asking myself.....H & R for a lower cleaner look, or Eibach for a 1/4 more clearance and possibly a more OEM ride....hmmmmm
Alright, I've read every single post here, as well as a bunch of other threads, and still hedging on this decision. I know Mikes70 ended up with Eibachs and likes them it seems. I was leaning that way too, but when I made my appointment for next week at Fabspeed for exhaust and lowering, they recommended H&Rs... Lots of you have them and your cars look great. Most of you w/H&Rs don't seem to have any issues with ride quality, but a minority complain about it and/or a "slammed" look. I don't see that in the pics, though maybe some of your fronts looks a leeeetle low.

Is there any consensus here??
These are going on a 997.2 C4S with PASM. I run 18" wheels in winter, 19" in summer (but due to sidewall differences in the rubber I don't think the true overall delta would be a full inch -- prob about the same no?? My fender gap seems huge.

Last edited by jsalah; 03-20-2016 at 05:23 PM.
Old 03-20-2016 | 03:24 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

I have decided to go Eibach. The rear of the H&R looks about perfect, but the fronts looks ridiculously slammed and not in a good way to me (the contour of the wheel wheel does not follow the contour of the tire). But the Front of the Eibachs look perfect to me and the rear just a little high. Not sure what is involved with all the components and perches, but I have been able to modify some of those components in past vehicles to get my cars to sit EXACTLY how I would like it. If nothing can be done there, perhaps might just be shaving a few 3-4 mm off the rear springs or something.

BTW, I hate paying retail for anything. Couldn't find any Eibachs in classified section (tons of HR). Found some sites that had them for just under $400, but when add shipping and tax, it jumps up from there. Ironically, Amazon has several sets, but I also noticed that the Amazon warehouse had a "used" set for about $350. Doing the research what this meant, turns out that many of the "used" items are just open box items. I rolled the dice and sure enough, the springs are brand new, never mounted, but the box is just a little banged up. Saved me almost $100.

Now I just have to be patient, my mechanic can't get to it for 2 more weeks.
Old 03-20-2016 | 03:47 PM
mikes70
Rennlist Member

the difference between the Eibach & Techarts vs the H&Rs is at the top of page 8 iirc, that info was exactly spot-on for me.

The best way too measure is from bottom of fender lip to the center line (CL) of hub, rims will have varying measurements and so will tires of the same size (different manufactors)....

I believe the H&R's are 1/2 lower in the front, i wanted the extra room for "payload" capacity when we travel. In my opinion, the H&R looks a little better, not sure how it will perform with 100lbs luggage in the frunk and two bikes 45lbs inc rack and two average size people (180 &140) roughly 420 lbs more than empty. +102lbs of fuel...
Old 03-20-2016 | 05:33 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by jsalah
Alright, I've read every single post here, as well as a bunch of other threads, and still hedging on this decision. I know Mikes70 ended up with Eibachs and likes them it seems. I was leaning that way too, but when I made my appointment for next week at Fabspeed for exhaust and lowering, they recommended H&Rs... Lots of you have them and your cars look great. Most of you w/H&Rs don't seem to have any issues with ride quality, but a minority complain about it and/or a "slammed" look. I don't see that in the pics, though maybe some of your fronts looks a leeeetle low.

Is there any consensus here??
These are going on a 997.2 C4S with PASM. I run 18" wheels in winter, 19" in summer (but due to sidewall differences in the rubber I don't think the true overall delta would be a full inch -- prob about the same no?? My fender gap seems huge.
[/IMG]
There is no consensus here and there never will be because too much of it is subjective

I have a .1 c4s with pasm and also run 18/19 winter/summer. I went H&R. I think the look is great. I find the ride slightly firmer than stock which I also like

To claim that the front is "ridiculously slammed" is well, ridiculous. I believe there is an 8mm differences between H&R and eibach ie less than a half inch

And yes, the gap is huge

Go with what your gut tells you - worked for me
Old 03-20-2016 | 06:07 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MaddMike
I had the TechArts on order but they were taking too long when I could order Eibach for half the price and have them here he next day. So, I canceled my Tech Art order.

I was going to install them in my own but Fabspeed is 30 minutes away and quoted me a decent price. Gives me an opportunity to check out their shop and customer service. Going in this Monday. Since I only have the base suspension (Porsche off-roading option) I suspect that it will make a noticible difference.
How was your experience at Fabspeed?

Originally Posted by vern1
There is no consensus here and there never will be because too much of it is subjective
Tell me about it... You ask 2 people, you get 4 opinions. This is driving me insane. I read so much about this crap (lowering, exhaust etc.) it was making my head hurt. I thought I had finally made a decision on both and I even put a deposit down with Fabspeed, but today some Porsche guys I know personally 'off-forum' with a DEEP bench of experience (both of them have had probably 15 Porsches between them) told me, bluntly, both H&R springs and Fabspeed exhausts are terrible choices... Ugh. Thing is, I trust these guys, and they have no reason to mislead me (they aren't affiliated with any brand or shop), but then again, it's hard to reconcile that both products have their fans here...

Old 03-20-2016 | 10:15 PM
vern1
Race Car

And what were their reasons for saying h&r and fabspeed were bad choices? Spring rates aren't compatible with the rest of the suspension? Fabspeed exhaust triggers a lot of fault codes?

Or a bunch of subjective reasons like it is ridiculously slammed and fanspeed scares babies?? Or no reason at all??

Just because a bunch of guys have owned a few Porsches doesn't mean they are remotely right
Old 03-20-2016 | 10:39 PM
soze
Advanced

I can't say much for Porsche applications, but I have experience with Eibach & H&R on 2 other platforms, and had both brands for those 2 platforms.

For me they had the same behavior on those two platforms.

H&R - Give you the perfect drop and look. Ride is stiffer than Eibach. Minor sagging over time.

Eibach - Drop isn't as perfect as H&R (sometimes front gap larger than rear). Ride is comfortable and less stiff than H&R, No sagging over time.

I'll admit, the H&R's look best when aiming for even front and rear wheel gap. Great for photography. The stiffness and minor sagging after increased mileage however is what I don't want to deal with anymore. This go around I'm just going with Eibach Pro-kits.
Old 03-21-2016 | 12:05 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Just because a bunch of guys have owned a few Porsches doesn't mean they are remotely right
No, it doesn't. And I don't typically base my decisions on what any one or more specific people say. I DO however consider the input of those who have more experience than me in a particular field and combine that input with my own research, opinion, and "gut". As with most things here, there are simply too many inconsistent opinions... No consensus, right... And it is simply not possible for me to view or test all these applications (no matter how many cars & coffees I attend)....
Old 03-21-2016 | 11:31 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Hey don't group me in there 😉.

My mentioned of the lowering was purely subjective as I indicated. I never said for no one to do it or it was bad.

And what were their reasons for saying h&r and fabspeed were bad choices? Spring rates aren't compatible with the rest of the suspension? Fabspeed exhaust triggers a lot of fault codes?

Or a bunch of subjective reasons like it is ridiculously slammed and fanspeed scares babies?? Or no reason at all??

Old 03-21-2016 | 11:34 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

And it is simply not possible for me to view or test all these applications (no matter how many cars & coffees I attend)....
Agree - same problem for me. Read this guide.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html

SharkWerks have the time and expertise and tested a bunch of different mods and make recommendations, in writing, which was very useful to me
Old 03-21-2016 | 11:38 AM
vern1
Race Car

No, it doesn't. And I don't typically base my decisions on what any one or more specific people say. I DO however consider the input of those who have more experience than me in a particular field and combine that input with my own research, opinion, and "gut". As with most things here, there are simply too many inconsistent opinions... No consensus, right... And it is simply not possible for me to view or test all these applications (no matter how many cars & coffees I attend)....
PM replied to. If you cant test them then youre just going to have to jump and see how it works out. I think if you weed out the extreme views on both ends you will get a pretty good idea of what you MAY end up with but its all about how it feels to you at the end of the day

Old 03-21-2016 | 11:44 AM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by rodH
Hey don't group me in there 😉.

My mentioned of the lowering was purely subjective as I indicated. I never said for no one to do it or it was bad.
Yes, I understand but when people say ridiculously slammed (which does have very negative connotations to most peole) I think more like this....

Cheers
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2016 | 11:52 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Wow, what an awesome reference. Too bad the 997.1 isn't on there

Originally Posted by jcsomerv
Agree - same problem for me. Read this guide.

http://sharkwerks.com/porsche/porsch...09-2012-a.html

SharkWerks have the time and expertise and tested a bunch of different mods and make recommendations, in writing, which was very useful to me

Quick Reply: Lowering Car